E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
Maxgraphix
Banned

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
Guess I'm gettin the Shark Injector

After installing the Ram Air box on the 325 I noticed hesitation off the line. I've been told that since I'm now gettin more air I need more fuel and more advanced timing. So far I think the Shark Injector will be the best and easyist install (and cheapest). Anyone know of a deal better than the 299.00?
Maxgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
An intake does not change the air flow significantly enough to need software adjustment. It doesn't change the amount of air your car sucks in, just the temperature. I'm more inclined to believe you messed something up during the install. Check your MAF connections and clean the MAF sensor. Also check if all the tubing has been tightened up properly.
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
mal1110

My Ride: 2001 325i
^+1

You don't need to modify anything to make an intake work better. It's just to keep the air cooler. Most intakes barely do anything (except look cool) anyway.
mal1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #4
brosive05

My Ride: 01 325 & 94 ZR1
The hesitation is probably the fact that your not getting enough fuel released from your cat.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:08 AM   #5
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
how old is your flux capacitor?

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
Saloon

My Ride: E46 330i, E36 Ms, X5
Send a message via AIM to Saloon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
Saloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #7
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
You have an air leak somewhere, find it.

Sent from my X10a using Bimmer App

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Maxgraphix
Banned

Quote:
My Flux Capacitor is always new - when I think its wearing out I go back in time and get a new one!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Maxgraphix
Banned

I've had the intake on for 2 years now and the hesitations always been there. I've checked for leaks or bad connections, but I'll check again. Thanks, Guys
Old 01-11-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Get the shark anyhow, it was worth 14whp with the addition of an intake for me.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #11
MasterTJ

My Ride: 2002 e46 BMW M3 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by mal1110 View Post
^+1

You don't need to modify anything to make an intake work better. It's just to keep the air cooler. Most intakes barely do anything (except look cool) anyway.
Wrong. If an intake changes the piping size, more air flow results. On my Lexus I got a 3" intake (much larger than stock) and a piggyback chip that came with it. The chip adjusted the air fuel ratios. Not only was the air cooler, but there was more of it flowing in. This resulted in a 9rwhp gain (i dynoed the car to check the gains after putting the intake in). Anyways, gains and such always vary, but to say that all intakes do is change the air temp is wrong. Larger tubing/better bends/higher flow filters allow for more air to come into the engine. If chips and piggybacks change A/F ratios to be more lean (use less fuel, more air), they can change it all they want with this increased airflow. The ratios can be changed without increasing airflow as well (using stock airboxes) but overall, larger piping/higher flow filters will absolutely allow more air into your engine's intake system. They are not just "for show". You may be saying they're "for show" because they provide little gains, if any sometimes, but to say they do absolutely nothing is plain wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
MasterTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM   #12
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
The stock dme compensates 7% for 2003.5 and up MS45 and 15% for MS43 pre 2003.5s

so infact the computer does add for the increased airflow without throwing a light.

Conforti's shark will help with the added airflow all thrown into calculation, and the added pedal responsiveness and 7k redline and removed top speedo isnt that bad for the price.

Its one of those things you do to top off the mods on the car. Its also a must if you have a higher ratio differential and need more road speed in each gear.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #13
Patrick- BMWPartsSource
Internet Sales

My Ride: n/a
We sell them !!!! www.bmwpartssource.com

BMWPartssource.com
Patrick- BMWPartsSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
An intake does not change the air flow significantly enough to need software adjustment. It doesn't change the amount of air your car sucks in, just the temperature. I'm more inclined to believe you messed something up during the install. Check your MAF connections and clean the MAF sensor. Also check if all the tubing has been tightened up properly.
This Is why youre loved and hated.
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #15
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTJ View Post
Wrong. If an intake changes the piping size, more air flow results. On my Lexus I got a 3" intake (much larger than stock) and a piggyback chip that came with it. The chip adjusted the air fuel ratios. Not only was the air cooler, but there was more of it flowing in. This resulted in a 9rwhp gain (i dynoed the car to check the gains after putting the intake in). Anyways, gains and such always vary, but to say that all intakes do is change the air temp is wrong. Larger tubing/better bends/higher flow filters allow for more air to come into the engine. If chips and piggybacks change A/F ratios to be more lean (use less fuel, more air), they can change it all they want with this increased airflow. The ratios can be changed without increasing airflow as well (using stock airboxes) but overall, larger piping/higher flow filters will absolutely allow more air into your engine's intake system. They are not just "for show". You may be saying they're "for show" because they provide little gains, if any sometimes, but to say they do absolutely nothing is plain wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp
None of the aftermarket intakes for our cars change the intake tubing size.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323I00 View Post
This Is why youre loved and hated.
Doesn't matter what he or you think, he is wrong. The ecu can only adapt so much, not to mention it isn't going to add ignition timing, or adjust the vanos outside the factory specified range. Give it up, both of you.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:37 PM   #17
kpeng
Banned User

Are you serious? A CAI is not going to affect the car enough to need software adjustment. It absolutely does not.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:41 PM   #18
Iceman00

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Are you serious? A CAI is not going to affect the car enough to need software adjustment. It absolutely does not.
Notice I wasn't asking you anything. I told you, and I have dyno plots to prove my point. What do you have, hearsay?
Old 01-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #19
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
any one remember that old school simota intake

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:53 PM   #20
emmm_three

My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
Quote:
I never got this joke for the longest time...then I asked someone and they said it's a reference to a movie in the early 80's...then I'm like no wonder...that was back when Dinosaurs were around