E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #41
323I00

My Ride: E46 323I
ICEMAN00 make you a deal once our winter Is over Ill dyno my car with the folllowing mods that I have ( HEADERS-FULL CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM and PULLEYS-ECU REMAPPED) Then Ill dyno my car with HEADERS-FULL CATBACK EXHAUST SYSTEM and PULLEYS-ECU REMAPPED) plus with the CAI , Then will see the real gains.
323I00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #42
illogik

My Ride: 325i, A3
Make a new thread where you can bicker away about CAIs and chips...the OPs question was probably answered on the first page.
illogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:46 PM   #43
323I00

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogik View Post
Make a new thread where you can bicker away about CAIs and chips...the OPs question was probably answered on the first page.
Summer meets here In mtl tues -thur starts at 7 ends at youre own desire , Think you can make It ?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:50 PM   #44
illogik

My Ride: 325i, A3
I'll bring my turboed and chipped A3
illogik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #45
323I00

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogik View Post
I'll bring my turboed and chipped A3
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #46
Maxgraphix
Banned

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325ci
WOW You guys are really going at it - I can only speak from my own experience. I installed the CAI and felt more power, not a tremendous amount but still more power but noticed a split second of hesitation when I come off idle. Other than that the car runs perfect. My only thought is that the Shark would remap the ECu with a more advanced timing that would eliminate the hesitation. I've taken it apart multiple times and can find nothing wrong.
Maxgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:13 PM   #47
MasterTJ

My Ride: 2002 e46 BMW M3 6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxgraphix View Post
WOW You guys are really going at it - I can only speak from my own experience. I installed the CAI and felt more power, not a tremendous amount but still more power but noticed a split second of hesitation when I come off idle. Other than that the car runs perfect. My only thought is that the Shark would remap the ECu with a more advanced timing that would eliminate the hesitation. I've taken it apart multiple times and can find nothing wrong.
Lol well regardless of what anyone bickering says, I had a stock Lexus, chipped it and put an intake on, and got 9hp, increased throttle response and throatier sound from the engine. For our cars, the results differ from car to car but from what I've heard its very similar to what I got on my Lexus: Small HP gain, slightly better throttle response and a slightly cooler engine sound. From all the stuff ive read in other threads here, it (shark) does give you benefits, people buy it and are happy with it, and they still sell them new on websites. Those last two speak for themselves. From what I've read, it's easy to install, and the only options comparable to it are a dinan or AA tune. Both are more expensive, but I believe can be more customizable. If you're looking for a general tune, the shark is the way to go. I eventually want one too! All I'll ever have on my car is an exhaust and intake so that chip will be just fine for me. It depends on what you want to do, but it looks like you want the car to be more fun and for me that's why I bought the Lexus chip/intake.

I have no experience with the shark or intake's on BMW's myself, but I believe you can search and find that what I say above is the general experience others have had with the product. Most love it, some bash it for being "too general" and "you're a noob if you call it a tune". The people that bash it are the same kind of people bashing intakes on this thread. IMO: They are more hardcore, want more gains and mod their cars a lot more, or they think that $300 for 5 hp is too much money. Those beliefs are all fine, everyone has different opinions on how much they are willing to spend for what benefits. It's fine to think that an intake and chip are not worth the money, but it's another to say they don't do anything, which is wrong. What do they do? It differs, but it's definitely SOMETHING. Lets not spout wrong information to the OP about intakes and chips.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

Last edited by MasterTJ; 01-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.
MasterTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #48
mal1110

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTJ View Post
Lol well regardless of what anyone bickering says, I had a stock Lexus, chipped it and put an intake on, and got 9hp, increased throttle response and throatier sound from the engine. For our cars, the results differ from car to car but from what I've heard its very similar to what I got on my Lexus: Small HP gain, slightly better throttle response and a slightly cooler engine sound. From all the stuff ive read in other threads here, it (shark) does give you benefits, people buy it and are happy with it, and they still sell them new on websites. Those last two speak for themselves. From what I've read, it's easy to install, and the only options comparable to it are a dinan or AA tune. Both are more expensive, but I believe can be more customizable. If you're looking for a general tune, the shark is the way to go. I eventually want one too! All I'll ever have on my car is an exhaust and intake so that chip will be just fine for me. It depends on what you want to do, but it looks like you want the car to be more fun and for me that's why I bought the Lexus chip/intake.

I have no experience with the shark or intake's on BMW's myself, but I believe you can search and find that what I say above is the general experience others have had with the product. Most love it, some bash it for being "too general" and "you're a noob if you call it a tune". The people that bash it are the same kind of people bashing intakes on this thread. IMO: They are more hardcore, want more gains and mod their cars a lot more, or they think that $300 for 5 hp is too much money. Those beliefs are all fine, everyone has different opinions on how much they are willing to spend for what benefits. It's fine to think that an intake and chip are not worth the money, but it's another to say they don't do anything, which is wrong. What do they do? It differs, but it's definitely SOMETHING. Lets not spout wrong information to the OP about intakes and chips.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

the op already knows what the shark injector does and he is wondering if it will fix his cars split second hesitation.

OP - I don't think any of us can say what's up with your car because we havent been under the hood, however, I don't know anyone who has put in an intake and experienced this. There may be some who have, I just don't know anyone. Leads me to believe that this is completely independent and is a problem caused by something else.

If you get a shark injector you may no longer feel that hesitation but it doesnt mean that whatever is causing it is fixed, wont get worse, etc etc.

just my 2c
mal1110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:51 PM   #49
emmm_three

My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgold47 View Post
no, its cause your a retard. What are you like 7? Who has never heard of back to the future?
BTW it's "you're" .....maybe it should be "Back to Grammar school"?

Last edited by emmm_three; 01-11-2011 at 07:53 PM.
emmm_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:16 PM   #50
HellRaiser1

My Ride: 2004 M3
I have a well maintained 330ci with a CAI, tse catback exhaust, headers, pullies, ECU remap, lightweight flywheel, aggressive diff, SSK, etc, (purchased the car already modded) and the car still doesn't feel REALLY quick. IMO, it's not really worth the money to throw into an e46 for performance/power. You want power, get an M3. However, our cars do take well to suspension mods (sway bars, struts/shocks/springs).

If I were to get a shark, it'd be in addition to aftermarket cams due to the increased rev limiter.

Last edited by HellRaiser1; 01-11-2011 at 10:21 PM.
HellRaiser1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #51
Maxgraphix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mal1110 View Post
the op already knows what the shark injector does and he is wondering if it will fix his cars split second hesitation.

OP - I don't think any of us can say what's up with your car because we havent been under the hood, however, I don't know anyone who has put in an intake and experienced this. There may be some who have, I just don't know anyone. Leads me to believe that this is completely independent and is a problem caused by something else.

If you get a shark injector you may no longer feel that hesitation but it doesnt mean that whatever is causing it is fixed, wont get worse, etc etc.

just my 2c
Ok I'm going to go about this the logical way, I'm going to take the car into the local performance shop just to see if they can find something wrong - If they do, then its fixed, if they find nothing wrong the I'll get the Shark, after all it cant hurt. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #52
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
Have you replaced your VANOS seal? Your hesitation at take off may be related to that.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #53
Maxgraphix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL330CI View Post
Have you replaced your VANOS seal? Your hesitation at take off may be related to that.
Dont even know what or where it is?
Old 01-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #54
AL330CI

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Then do a search for "beisan vanos seal" and read all about it.
AL330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:26 PM   #55
mach.schnell

My Ride: 08/2000 330Cic x2
Quote:
http://www.beisansystems.com/
mach.schnell is offline   Reply With Quote