E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 08:03 PM   #1
hamadyr

My Ride: '05 330i ZHP
M3 Front Strut mount in non M

With 50k Miles on the clock, I am bout to embark on refreshing my suspension. I am planning a complete strip down and overhaul of the front and rear of the car so that I can enjoy that new BMW feeling again.

Are there any tricks to get some additional camber in the front ?

From wat I have been able to find so far, there are two options:
- Pull the pins from the regular E46 mounts and slide them in. (Very little change.)
- Install camber plates of different varieties. (Expensive and harsh for everyday use.)

Back E30 days, swapping in M3 front strut mounts gave some additional negative camber.

Has anyone looked into this for the E46 ? WIll E46 M3 plates fit non M E46 ?
hamadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:11 AM   #2
Brilliant

My Ride: E46M3 Blk/Blk
Shericals will give you more road noise and vibe transmitted to the cab, but your spring and damper set up will determine harshness. I put plates and S-RSMs, and aside from a small increase in noise, not a big deal.

Plates seem a bit much for OEM springs though.
OEM Euro folding mirrors | OEM LED retrofit & Euro LCM | V-CSL diffuser (fits like S) | misc cosmetics
Soon: CSL Intake

Brilliant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Yep, the M3 front strut mounts will allow a lot more camber, I think mine was around -2.7 degrees. The downside is that the strut shafts are different sizes, so you'll need M3 struts as well.

I did this for a year as my winter setup. (AST 4200s for the summer) The only feedback I'd give is to err on the softer side of M3 struts, as the M3 is heavier than the 330, so more aggressive M3 struts (such as the Bilstein HDs I used after the used stock ones I bought died) end up being a bit harsh on a 330. Stock, Koni FSD, something like that might work well.

I have since gone back to stock ZHP struts, and so I have a pair of M3 top mounts for sale if you'd like them. (as well as E46 M3 springs if you want them, sold the struts/shocks)

You can see the parts needed here:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...77&hg=31&fg=10

Edit: looks like you can get them for $86 each at Tischer, so I'll sell them for $100 + shipping for both.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #4
hamadyr

Thanks for your detailed feedback.

I just picked up a new set of stock ZHP shocks so I guess going with the M3 mounts is out of the question.

I will give the Turner fixed plates a try and give feedback to the forums.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #5
murph1379

If you wanted to get crafty, the non-M strut shafts are skinnier than the M3 shafts, so you could create a little adapter ring to fit on the non-M shaft if you had all the measurements and access to a machine shop. Vorshlag may even be willing to provide something similar, but I'm sure the turner fixed plates are an easier and cheaper way to find some camber. =]
Old 01-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #6
hamadyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1379 View Post
Yep, the M3 front strut mounts will allow a lot more camber, I think mine was around -2.7 degrees. The downside is that the strut shafts are different sizes, so you'll need M3 struts as well.

Edit: looks like you can get them for $86 each at Tischer, so I'll sell them for $100 + shipping for both.
murph1379: I have been thinking of this quite a bit and given the cost of decent camber plates and their (lack of) durability in our winters, I am looking at going with the M3 setup again.

My understanding from your message is that if I get Stock M3 mounts and sstruts, it all fits perfectly (No cutting, driling or other creativity required).

Can you confirm this ?

Why did you let it go and move back to stock ZHP ?

Seems like the additional camber would be quite nice.
Old 01-15-2011, 11:54 AM   #7
murph1379

I went zhp partly because the valving of the m3 bilstein hd was just a bit too much for my lightened car, and because I'm putting it back to stock for sale.

I think stock m3 springs/struts/tops would work well for a full-weight 330 that wants camber and a bit more stiffness.

Matt