E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2003, 04:09 AM   #1
Tesh323

My Ride: Mini CooperS
Focal Vs Diamond Audio Speakers

Which are smooooother sounding ... the Focal range of speakers, or the Diamond Audio range? In the Diamonds, I am looking at a set of M651 with silk tweeters. Focal.. dunno, polyglass, or polykevlar...

Which would you recommend and which amp to drive these??

Thanks again...
Tesh323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-02-2003, 11:48 AM   #2
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
I dont think the M6's come with silk. Only alum. If you want silk, you have to go with the HEX series.

I have a PPI amp to my M661's and they are nice, but too bright, you might need an EQ to get the sound the way you like it. After using the EQ, mine sound great! PPI amp is strong & clean.
The M6 has 80 watts to it & it does not distort.
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:25 PM   #3
zameus

My Ride: 2000 328i
Focals are reputed to be even brighter than the Diamonds with Aluminum tweeters.
zameus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 12:39 PM   #4
johnhab

My Ride: '02 330xi
Send a message via AIM to johnhab Send a message via Yahoo to johnhab
Tesh323, are you selecting speaker for your front doors? If so, you have to be aware of the stock locations' mounting depth, which for instance, doesn't allow a stock install of most Focals as their mounting depth is deep due to their huge magnets.

If this is the case, search the old threads and you'll find that the Diamond Hexs fit in the stock location with a little coaxing, and Focal now makes a slimline set of components...

johnhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:34 AM   #5
HaN-hAn

My Ride: E46 Coupe
depending on which range of focal u are using, they can sound bright but paired with a suitable amp they are sparkling clear. But why not consider Dynaudio, or Morel if u are looking for smoother sound?
HaN-hAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:49 PM   #6
glass330

My Ride: 323ci to 01 330i
HEx

I have the hex with aluminum tweeters - must say - sound outstanding - focals are great too - but i dont think they're worth the money - Hex's are definately a great buy.
glass330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 05:43 PM   #7
JB28

I have the Diamond S500s in the front and the focal 165K in the rear and I must say that I like the Focals better. THe Diamond speakers are too harsh for my taste. I have the diamond speakers set to -4db in my crossover to reduce the harshness.
JB28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:25 PM   #8
SrCsTc
Banned

My Ride: 00 323Ci
Send a message via AIM to SrCsTc
Has anyone ever listened to both the Silk and aluminum tweeters on the diamonds?

Rich
SrCsTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 10:37 PM   #9
Ron@Streeteffectz

As far as I am aware, the silk dome tweeters, at least in the HEX, are not available in the United States
Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 11:05 PM   #10
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron@Streeteffectz
As far as I am aware, the silk dome tweeters, at least in the HEX, are not available in the United States

Really? They're on Diamond's Website and they're available online. Do you know why?

Rich
Old 05-05-2003, 06:46 AM   #11
zameus

I have the s600s (silk tweeters). They're still a bit harsh but very clear and excellent midbass IMHO when installed properly. I hope to smooth them out a bit more with an equalizer (running off the stockHU). Got them from onlinecarstereo.com , but they're not authorized (1 yr warranty from them).
Old 05-05-2003, 11:02 AM   #12
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

My Ride: This --->
Quote:
Originally posted by Ron@Streeteffectz

I have them I have the Hex s600s
Old 05-05-2003, 11:05 AM   #13
SrCsTc
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by ACS Rob

I have them I have the Hex s600s

How do you like them?
What have you had b4... to compare?
TIA

Rich
Old 05-05-2003, 11:12 AM   #14
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

I like them alot... they tweeters were a little bright but tuned them down to -2db on the crossover and they're perfect . I've had Soundstrems, MB Quarts, & Nakamichi in the past and these are the definetly better. I do like the sound of the Focal Utopias better (in the store, never heard it on a car) but too much money for speakers IMO.

Rob
Old 05-05-2003, 01:17 PM   #15
Ron@Streeteffectz

Oops, I think it's the M6 components that are only available in Aluminum in the US. Sorry for the confusion!
Ron@Streeteffectz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:56 PM   #16
zameus

Rob, Do you have the HEX tweets in the stock locations (next to sideview mirrors) and the mids in the midbass (lower door) locations? Or a more custom arraignment?
Old 05-05-2003, 02:13 PM   #17
ACS Rob
pinoyfanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by zameus
Rob, Do you have the HEX tweets in the stock locations (next to sideview mirrors) and the mids in the midbass (lower door) locations? Or a more custom arraignment?
Stock locations as you describe but on the coupes... the tweets are door handle/opener.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:42 PM   #18
zameus

Ah, that's better. Closer to the mid and not at direct ear level. I had to move mine to the stock mid location cause they were killing me even at -2db, but I'm not happy with how the armrest block it a little bit. You coupe guys win on the audio placement. Deeper midbass locations and better tweeter locations.
Old 05-06-2003, 05:09 PM   #19
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
Quote:
Originally posted by zameus
Ah, that's better. Closer to the mid and not at direct ear level. I had to move mine to the stock mid location cause they were killing me even at -2db, but I'm not happy with how the armrest block it a little bit. You coupe guys win on the audio placement. Deeper midbass locations and better tweeter locations.
where's your Alpine HU!
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 08:40 PM   #20
SrCsTc
Banned

I just got Diamond Audio Hex S600s to replace my Focal 165k. I have DA in one door and Focals in the other to compare. So far I prefer the Diamonds. Better midbass for one. And they will fit better cause they require less depth. Here are some pics. They look very well made.