E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #1
gtvento13

My Ride: 1999 323i
Radio/sound issues

Radio has been cutting out whenever I pass a certain point while pressing the gas pedal. All power stays on to the radio the sound just cuts out. When I take my foot off the gas all sound comes back. Also does this with cd's. PO had a subwoofer installed at one point, could it just be a loose plug or wire behind the radio?

Sent from my DROID PRO using Bimmer App

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave12345 View Post
kick it fonze style
gtvento13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:28 AM   #2
gtvento13

Battery has proper voltage, ground strap is secure, removed and reinstalled radio fuses. Everything was fine on my way to work hopefully it stays that way

Quote:
kick it fonze style
Old 01-18-2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Steve330ci

My Ride: 2011 328i, Jet Black
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve330ci
Pulling the headunit and checking all the connections would be a good place to start.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
gtvento13

pulled the head unit, all connections are secure. still have to check connections at the amp. this looks to be a common problem with the business cd/radios due to the soldering on the circuit boards. just very strange that it rarely cuts out over bumps and regularly when i press the gas.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
niko084

My Ride: '02 330ci
Bumps don't have the forward motion g-force effects on the deck, more so vertically, depends on how the break in the connection may be.

I have also seen this not in a BMW but other cars where voltages under high rpm and sometimes hard acceleration the radio would kick off, in some extreme cases the headlights would dim or even go out, along with dash lights.
In a few cases it was the alternator couldn't keep up with the high demands of the ignition and fuel systems, in other cases it was a split in half plug wire, but that wont be the case here with direct ignition.

Lastly, inspect your chassis and engine ground straps, not just the connections the cables/straps themselves, any doubt replace them and clean the connection zones thoroughly.

Last edited by niko084; 01-27-2011 at 09:11 PM.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
gtvento13

altenator crossed my mind, but all lights do not dim or flicker ever. engine ground straps are a good idea. im thinking something has to be grounding itself out somewhere?

it will also sometimes cut back on if i press the break lol.

the guys at bsw said it could be the radio its self or the amp.

also talked to a tech at bmw and he said they could plug my car in and with their software know what is going on. dont really want to drop 100 or whatever it is on a diagnostic fee though

Last edited by gtvento13; 01-28-2011 at 09:31 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 08:13 PM   #7
gtvento13

checked the wiring around the amp, since the PO had a sub.. all the wires he used to splice into were exposed and some were contacting the body. Taped them up an done. Sound stays. Thanks for the input guys

Quote:
kick it fonze style