E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #1
bnigam

My Ride: 2002 M3
New to DIY

Hello all,
Sorry about being a newbie, but this is obviously the best forum to get the best info from. I bought a 02 325xi sport with premium and cold weather pak in year 2006. I absolutely love this car to death but it is getting very expensive to maintain I live in Ohio and go to an Indy shop but am not too happy with them anymore since they changed owners.
I want to try a shot at changing fluids on the car to save money but more so to learn how to do this stuff and pass this skill onto my son. I have not done any servicing in decades on a car. I would like to start out with a simple oil change, but I don't know what type of oil and equip I should get(OEM or Mobil1 or Lubro). Are people now doing it from the top with pumps now and not pulling drain plugs? Is Bavauto a good place to get stuff or just go to dealer for basics?
Also the previous owner had some presets on the car that I do not like. Is there a way to change it without going to dealer/shop.
Can you guys help with suggestions?

Thanks!
bnigam is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
gawa

My Ride: 01 325xi
For diy oil+filter changes I started out with reading this write up:
http://www.my330i.com/lof.php
I use Castrol 0w30 & Hengst or Mahle filters for my car, but the "what oil to use" topic is thoroughly debated, if you do a search on it you'll find tons of threads on it. Can't speak for any US auto parts sites/stores but I order the filters online and just buy the oil from the Canadian equivalent of an Autozone or something like that.

What kind of presets are you speaking of?
gawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
bnigam

Thanks for the quick reply. All makes sense to me! Yeah I kinnda wanted to go to Ad Auto Parts but I thought maybe I should ask if I should get the OEM stuff. I read that the filter makes a difference though?
As far as presets, the previous owner had no lights/horns selected when doors are locked. The seats do not reset when I get in after my wife drives it. I HATE the rear defroster on when temp is low and that annoying ping when it is < 37 degrees outside.....stuff like that.
Old 02-14-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
For the presets you have to go to the dealership or someone with the right programming tools, no way around that.

For the oil, I use Mobil 1 0w40 but as was said, there is lots of debate on this topic. Use one of the LL-01 approved oils and you'll be fine. I get my oil filter (includes gaskets and crush washers) from the dealership for around $11. Use an oil extractor if you can, makes it much easier. And besides It'll be the best $80 you spend when you're due for an oil change and it's -20F outside.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
German Castrol 0w-30 seems to be the best oil when you look through UOA's.

Can't go wrong with BMW oil either.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
q0192837465

My Ride: 99.4 A4, 03 330xi
Send a message via ICQ to q0192837465
You are lucky in the states. 0W40 cost over 10 bucks a quart here in Canada (and Canadian dollar is @ par now)

I dun think an extractor is really necessary. Think of the time that you will be doing oil changes. Usually in late Spring or early Fall. Weather is good at those times.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
E-rock

My Ride: '01 330xi
I'm from Cincy. PM me and I can get you more specifics on the oil change. If I wasn't out of town on business so much, I'd stop by and give a quick oil change demo!

What indie have you been going to? I've taken my car to Tom's Foreign Auto Repair in Delhi. They are located on the corner of Rapid Run and Anderson Ferry. My parents take their 328i there as well. Excellent labor rate, quick turnaround, and very honest. Jeff is the tech that works on our cars. Great guy to work with and knows E46s inside and out.

"So when you go for a drive, remember to leave your murderous anger where it belongs - at home."
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
bnigam

Here's some pics of my baby. She pristine but needs some upgrades.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #9
jcarpfishman

I've got the same wheels... for stock, they look pretty good on the car!

Looks like she's been taken care of!
jcarpfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM   #10
bnigam

Yeah they look pretty good when clean. When there slightly dirty....not so good. They also are the biggest pain to clean. I'm looking to try to get style 119 wheels(5 spoke).
Old 02-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
jcarpfishman

No kidding, they're a bear to clean! The 119's will be much easier to clean, and they look good too. For some reason, I was always a fan of style 44's, which are similar to the 119's.
jcarpfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:43 AM   #12
bnigam

Yeah I'm a big fan of style 96 the ones one the regular sport. Wife said if I start upgrading stuff then I should go for a newer look!
Old 02-18-2011, 12:58 PM   #13
silentguy

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330 Xi
Thanks for the oil change link.

I will be using that too.

It looks much easier than other cars I have worked on.

I will also try the Power Steering/ATF fluid change myself as well,
and found another DIY thread on this.
silentguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:00 PM   #14
xi_ter

Buy Rhino ramps and a jack/ jack stand set (I've liked my Craftsman). Using the plug is more fail safe - there are a few stories of people having extractor tubes break in the dipstick tube.

Replace other fluids: Power steering, diffs, transfer case, ATF, coolant

Search DIYs as the need arises. Use Pelican as a source of OE parts.

Consider changing out your shocks to Koni Sport shocks and Eibach ProKit springs for a 1.4 inch drop using this DIY
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=12 if your mileage is over 50,000 mi. The handling of the car will really improve and there will be less stress on aging suspension components.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
here is the list of DIY:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=519743

if there is missing pm Kpeng..

Last edited by Riverbmr3; 02-18-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
Kubica

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Buy Rhino ramps and a jack/ jack stand set (I've liked my Craftsman). Using the plug is more fail safe - there are a few stories of people having extractor tubes break in the dipstick tube.

Consider changing out your shocks to Koni Sport shocks and Eibach ProKit springs for a 1.4 inch drop using this DIY
http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/how...hp?howto_id=12 if your mileage is over 50,000 mi. The handling of the car will really improve and there will be less stress on aging suspension components.
There's stories of people breaking off their drain plug too.

Engine oil, transfer case, brake fluid, and coolant- those are the real important ones to change regularly.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM   #17
bnigam

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post

Nice resource! Thanks for the info!
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #18
josephmech

My Ride: 2001 325i sedan 5m
I like the Total oil
torque wrench 25Nm for the drain plug
36mm wrench
socket set and oil filter
I center jack the front brace and support w 2 jack stands
drain oil,put in new filter, add new oil and u done.
DIY is easier I print out pic instructions from this site and gather parts before I begin work also go to
realoem.com
to see all the system assembly drawings
josephmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have created a all in one service kits the include everything needed to complete your oil service...

Click HERE for more information.

*photo for reference only

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote