E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 11:33 PM   #1
Shevanel

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Exclamation 2004 325xi problems (smoking, rough idle shake)

Hey guys
Im new to the forum and i love it. Helped out a ton on other things!
First off just want to say i've read through alot of threads but i wanted to post my own with some specifics about my car. Basically i bought my 2004 325xi 2 summers ago. Since, I have had several problems with it (i think i bought a lemon except its not yellow or lemony fresh )-: although it does leave a sour taste in my mouth)

Problems i am currently having are:
A shake - mostly felt when the car is under load. It can get pretty violent at higher RPMs while climbing steep hills. Based on other forums ive read i think it might be my CV boots. Tomorrow i will put it on a frame lift and look for leaks. The shake seems to be in the rear end. My wife blew the driver side tire and we replaced it with the same one but with about 20% more tread. The shake didnt start until about a month ago and the tire has been on for at least 5 months.
Smoking - My car looks like a chain smoker at times and other times looks fine. sometimes at start up big billows of smoke, sometimes thick, others cant even see exhaust. I have recently did a DIY on a valve cover gasket. I did this atleast 2 months before the smoking, or i noticed the smoking. Also the smoke can look blue at times but i cant be sure. if it is blue its not overwhelmingly blue to suggest im chugging the oil back.
Rough idle - This too is a newer development. I started to notice it when the temperature dropped out here. (about -6c). But like my other problems it comes and goes, although, you feel it more often than not. Almost feels like it will stall. it is rougher when its in gear though.

I really appreciate the help in advance!
I reposted all this in a new forum incase its all connected.
Side notes: recently installed a new started, battery, did an oil change and a valve cover gasket)
Shevanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:40 PM   #2
nickchuck

My Ride: 325xi (Topaz)
Check your control arm bushings for the shake.

Make sure you properly sealed your VCG diy.

Check the DISA valve for the rough idle, could also be a software issue.

Good Luck sir, any one else have some guesses?
nickchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
If you live in British Columbia consider switching to Chevron with its Techron cleaning additive.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Shake: Probably the CV joints. If you've been going this long with that shake, they're probably toast. Plan for new axles.

Smoke: One of the CCV lines is probably clogged and forcing oil into the cylinder. This should be fixed ASAP before something bad happens. Also, check the valve cover gasket to make sure you did it right.

Rough Idle: Do you have an auto? If so, this is a documented problem without a documented solution. If you have a manual, try and clean the ICV and check the intake boots for tear/cracks. Also, make sure the DISA valve is in good working order. Do the same for the auto anyway.

You don't have a lemon, all of these are common issues and are easily fixed (except for the rough idle). What maintenance have you done on the car lately and how many miles does it have? These cars are very easy and relatively cheap to maintain but very expensive to fix. Which would you rather have? There's likely a lot more you need to do to it to keep it in good running condition.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Shevanel

My Ride: 2004 325xi
Thanks for the help i will be checking these out tonight. I let the vibration go because i was told from 3 shops it was a wheel bearing so we looked at it and it is quiet with no play. Then was at a bit of a lose until ifound this site. My car has 190k and is automatic. Im an generally pretty good at keeping ontop of my maintenance until recent. I really appreciate help. Lets hope its just the CV joints :S is the a thread on here about checking ccv lines?
Shevanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:06 AM   #6
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=643639

That'll pretty much cover everything I listed except for the axles. Please note that you cannot change just the CV joint and you have to change the whole axle. It's not that hard but it is very time consuming so labor costs will be very high if you take it to someone.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-21-2011 at 11:09 AM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevanel View Post
Thanks for the help i will be checking these out tonight. I let the vibration go because i was told from 3 shops it was a wheel bearing so we looked at it and it is quiet with no play. Then was at a bit of a lose until ifound this site. My car has 190k and is automatic. Im an generally pretty good at keeping ontop of my maintenance until recent. I really appreciate help. Lets hope its just the CV joints :S is the a thread on here about checking ccv lines?
I agree with the CCV and DISA diagnosis.

Is it your right front wheel bearing that the shop said is the problem? If so, when mine went out, it didn't make noise when turned by hand. Only at speed.

If three shops said it was the wheel bearing- why the hell didn't you replace the wheel bearing?
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, idle, leak, shake, smoking