E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 04:46 AM   #1
CrunkBMW

My Ride: 323i
Fuel Indicator constantly on zero (0) /empty!

Recently my fuel level indicator began showing zero (0) all the time regardless of actual fuel in the tank. I replaced the left side fuel level sensor and gauge indicated 1/4 tank. However, the tank was approx. 3.4 full. The next week I replaced the right side fuel pump/level sensor. Now the fuel indicator is back at zero (0). The tank is now full of fuel yet my fuel indicator is still on zero. I have checked all fuses and the 'sucking jet pump' and all seem to be working properly. Any help would be appreciated.

Doc. Crunk
CrunkBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Do an IC (Instrument Cluster) reset and let us know if it solves the problem
Old 01-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
CrunkBMW

paraklas
Can you direct me to a thread that on how to reset the IC. I have checked the functionality of the cluster through the Hidden OBC functions, but not sure how to actually reset the IC.
Thanks for the help.
Doc Crunk
Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM   #4
paraklas

Switch on the ignition.

Press and hold the trip reset button until you see test 1.

Release the button quickly then press rapidly until you get to 19 (if you see 1.1, 1.2, etc you were too slow with your presses, you will need to start again), this is the unlock section. stop pressing when you get to this and you will see that the display toggles between off & on .

When it goes to off press the button, this has unlocked the cluster. Then quickly press the button until it goes to 21 and release, wait a second and it will say reset?, press once and you will see the cluster go dead for a second and then come back up. You have just flushed you cluster and reloaded its software.

If the gauge is fixed, then it could be a software error, often bought on by voltage problems, is your battery OK?
Old 01-22-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
CrunkBMW

Thanks, I just finished installing a new fuel filter and then i did the reset.
The fuel indicator shows that i have 1/2 tank of fuel. However, i filled up yesterday and have only driven 5 miles since that time. so, it is operational, at least in part. any more ideas?
thanks
Doc Crunk
Old 01-22-2011, 02:53 PM   #6
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
It's possible that the fuel senders are hung up or are not sending an accurate reading. Pull them out and clean the contact and make sure the float is free to move. See the DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=738747
Old 01-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
or possible bad cluster....
Old 01-22-2011, 05:14 PM   #8
paraklas

When you did the cluster reset, did the gauge move all the way to max and then min?
Old 01-22-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
CrunkBMW

when i did the reset, the gauge stayed at min as everything shut down for reset, then went to the 1/2 mark.
any thoughts?

Doc Crunk
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
There are 2 fuel level sensors, one for each half of the tank. Clean the drivers side fuel sender to try to get a full reading. I needed to pull put both of my senders and clean them. There was a black residue on both on the contacts.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
CrunkBMW

i have just replaced both level sensor this past week. Both are brand new. I suppose they could be dirty, but at this point i am willing to try anything.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:23 PM   #12
TitanSilverE46

My Ride: 2001 318i & 325i
What does your cluster code say for test 6.0 fuel level? If your tank is full it should read 240330 24.0 litres in the left side and 33.0 litres in the right = 57 litres (I know, the manual says the tank holds 63 litres but this is what a full tank reads) It my give you a guide as to which sensor is faulty. 000330 would indicate left and 240000 would indicate right.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 AM   #13
CrunkBMW

I ran test 6.0 and received 240000. on test 6.1 and 6.2 i got 0240
I guess if this indicates that my right (fuel pump) level sensor is bad then i will need to return a faulty fuel pump after just three days. would that be a correct assumption or is there anything else that i might be overlooking or need to try?
thanks for the help!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
TitanSilverE46

My Ride: 2001 318i & 325i
Well either the connections to the sensor part are not making good contact, or, yes, you have a faulty sender unit in the pump and it needs to be swapped. Lift the rear seat and have a fiddle with wires before you rip it out.
Old 01-23-2011, 01:54 PM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
I had a problem with my E36 where the fuel level was reported as E even after a fill up. After a while of driving, the level would be reported at F or 3/4, whatever was appropriate (I reset the odometer so I knew how far I had gone since the previous fill up). Eventually the level would be reported at E again after going 300-ish miles. I'd fill up and remain on E, and repeat the cycle.

I removed both fuel level sending units and cleaned the sweep contacts with a business card (a plain paper card with heavy texture) and contact cleaner. The sweep contacts left black lines on the paper, and the fuel level was accurately reported afterward.

Within a couple of days, there were articles in the newspaper about high sulpher content in the gasoline that was contaminating fuel level sending units. The stories were about refinery problems in other parts of the country from where I live, but I found the coincidence to be striking.

The sweep contacts are very delicate, and you can bend them in one direction very easily, but not return them to the proper shape so they make contact.

I find it odd that you need to replace both, and still have problems.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
paraklas

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunkBMW View Post
when i did the reset, the gauge stayed at min as everything shut down for reset, then went to the 1/2 mark.
any thoughts?

Doc Crunk
Then it's not the fuel senders. When you did the reset the gauge should had moved to full mark. Maybe you are looking at a faulty needle gauge? I don't suppose you opened the cluster to install any rings, etc?
Old 01-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #17
CrunkBMW

no, i haven't opened the cluster.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #18
CrunkBMW

I just removed the fuel pump/sensor again to try and 'test' it outside the full tank. once outside the tank, i manually moved the float and the fuel gauge did not move at all. I am going to return that pump for a new one. if that fails to work, then i guess i am back to square one. any other ideas before i buy a new one and return the old?
thanks
Doc Crunk
Old 01-24-2011, 05:14 PM   #19
CrunkBMW

well, i pulled the fuel pump/level sender again to test it outside the tank and it failed. Well now when i go to start it, i started turning over at first and was acting as though it was not getting any fuel and would not start, like the fuel pump was not working. then it stopped turning over and is now it is just clicking and isn't even turning over. very frustrating. any advice?

I tested the battery voltage and it was 10.9 - 11.0 so it is a little low. I guess it could be bad. battery is not new, so i hope that is all that it is. it is frustrating that this problem comes up while i am still dealing with my fuel indicator/sending units not working properly. any ideas if it may be something other than the battery?

Last edited by CrunkBMW; 01-24-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #20
Logan4549

My Ride: 00 BMW 323CI
CrunkBMW, did you ever find a resolution to your problem? When I test OBD 6, my readings are 000000_6.0; 0000_6.1; 0000_2_6.2. What does that mean I have to do to possibly get this fixed? I replaced both sending units already.
Logan4549 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel gauge, fuel level sensor, fuel pump