E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #1
edmfperez

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330ci
RLS Retrofit [2016]

Hey, everyone. So, for the longest time, I've wanted to find a way to retrofit automatic lights and the rain sensor into my 2003 330Ci. Unfortunately, many of the DIYs online were either too vague in their instructions or were simply unfinished to the point of stopping in the middle of key points of the retrofit.

Sooooo I decided to take it upon myself to show how I performed this retrofit into my own car.

Everything You'll Need:

X-Acto Knife
Wire cutter/stripper
20 stranded AWG wire (100ft/~30M)
3M Scotchlok Connectors
3M Electrical Tape
3M Friction Tape
Heat Shrink Tubing
Soldering Iron
Matte Black Vinyl (only 4"x8" will be needed but buy more if your fear you may mess up your fritt)
10mm Socket
Ratchet Wrench
Ratchet Wrench Extension (6in/15cm)
Ring Terminal
Flathead Screw Driver Set (for small devices)
Phillips Head Screw Driver (normal size)
Non-Marring Pry Tool
BMW Wire 4 Prong Wire Harness (sometime this will come with your RLS sensor)

--------------
THE BIG GUNS:

•E46 LCM Module with Automatic Headlight Knob (As high of a SW version as you can afford)
•RLS Module (KOSTAL #0900606123)
•Prism Lens (No part # but search on eBay for something like "SALE! RAIN, LIGHT SENSOR LENS BMW/CITROEN/LAND ROVER/MAZDA/PEUGEOT WITH ADH. PAD" from a Russian seller)
•Rear View Mirror Lens Cover (BMW #51168257203)
•INPA or other coding software to code your RLS if it arrived uncoded

I will post more in the next few days with pictures a video and instructions on what I did/what to do.

Happy viewing!

Last edited by edmfperez; 08-05-2016 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Missed Some Extra Stuff
edmfperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
DjDom

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Waiting for an update to this.
DjDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
edmfperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDom View Post
Waiting for an update to this.
Hey there, sorry for the delay! Been busy with work and school, I'm uploading a video today.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
edmfperez

Here's a video of showing off the completed product:
Old 08-05-2016, 10:40 AM   #5
edmfperez

First Things First

Note:
Before Proceeding, please move the passenger seat as far back and low as possible to provide the most room necessary to do the retrofit.

Battery

Things you will need:
10mm socket/Wrench/Spanner
Ratchet Wrench

Okay, so before you do anything else, you need to disconnect the negative lead of the battery in the back. If you have a coupé like me, you might want to leave the passenger side door open since the windows will no longer do their little "shimmy" when pulling on the handle.

Passenger Side A-Pillar

Things you will need:
T-25 bit
Ratchet Wrench

To remove the A-Pillar, remove the felt strip carefully to avoid damaging the headliner material of the interior. Use the T-25 bit to remove the 3 screws holding the A-Pillar cover to the Air Bag assembly. Remove the A-Pillar cover by gently sliding the cover upwards along the side of the A-Pillar.

The Glovebox

Things you will need:
Phillips Screwdriver
Flathead Screwdriver

Open the glovebox and use the flathead screwdriver to pry out the plastic fasteners holding in the nylon belt on the right hand side of the glovebox and the small strut on the left hand side of the glovebox. Now, using the phillips head screwdriver, remove the screws holding in the glovebox. Disconnect the glovebox light harness from the glovebox light.

More to come later...
Old 08-05-2016, 04:59 PM   #6
DjDom

My Ride: 2006 330Ci
Video is private and can't be watched.
DjDom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #7
edmfperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjDom View Post
Video is private and can't be watched.

fixed it; should be watchable now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2016, 04:31 PM   #8
bimer21

My Ride: stick 325i
thats so awesome, now im looking for the wire diagram, or where it goes connected because mines bring the 3 wire and sensor req 4, and there is were im stuck, if you can post pic or detail where the connections go i will appreciate it.
bimer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM   #9
edmfperez

Wiring Diagram

Make sure that you find a wiring harness that will fit the pins for the RLS module.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edmfperezRLS2016WiringDiag.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	638309  
Old 08-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
bimer21

thanks, i will make my fitting hopefully this coming week, i guess i have to remove one front pillar to run the wires; and the other question is: the third wire is connected to the K-Bus, in what pin on the cluster? the 14? i get this info in other place researching. thanks for the help
Old 08-10-2016, 10:50 AM   #11
edmfperez

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimer21 View Post
thanks, i will make my fitting hopefully this coming week, i guess i have to remove one front pillar to run the wires; and the other question is: the third wire is connected to the K-Bus, in what pin on the cluster? the 14? i get this info in other place researching. thanks for the help

hey bimer21, thanks for the question. so when you pull out the middle wire harness in the gm5 module, you must find the white yellow red wire and tap into that. i believe that it's pin 21 for the kbus and pin 45 for the wiper park wire. i tried finding a diagram for the middle block harness of the gm5 and that helped me a ton. let me know if you want me to find that for you.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
bimer21

to be honest it will be nice. i know its easy to go ahead and find the right pins, and just get and connect them and "BOOM" the magic is done, but its hard to know which is the right pin, i have read through many post, and the only one i found help was yours, and that its working 100%, that is why i want to follow you lead.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:28 AM   #13
edmfperez

Quote:
to be honest it will be nice. i know its easy to go ahead and find the right pins, and just get and connect them and "BOOM" the magic is done, but its hard to know which is the right pin, i have read through many post, and the only one i found help was yours, and that its working 100%, that is why i want to follow you lead.

no absolutely. it took me two weeks to figure it out through much trial and error but now all i have left to code is the rain sensing feature but the automatic lights work very well.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:41 AM   #14
bimer21

if you lived down here on SFL, i would love to help you out with it, i have the scanner to code it. this week i will try to get the 4 pins connector, so i can start runing the wires and leave then ready to connect.
now i have another question, i have all the parts i need but my windshield is not the one that came for that sensor, so i will have it paint with the measures for the sensor and have it perfect, but i have the green line on top of it, and premium glass bring, i don't think the sensor with get there but if it does i will try to mount in a little down, does your bring the line? were u able to mount it with it if so?
Old 08-12-2016, 09:45 AM   #15
edmfperez

Quote:
if you lived down here on SFL, i would love to help you out with it, i have the scanner to code it. this week i will try to get the 4 pins connector, so i can start runing the wires and leave then ready to connect.
now i have another question, i have all the parts i need but my windshield is not the one that came for that sensor, so i will have it paint with the measures for the sensor and have it perfect, but i have the green line on top of it, and premium glass bring, i don't think the sensor with get there but if it does i will try to mount in a little down, does your bring the line? were u able to mount it with it if so?

nope! i actually live in central texas so that would be quite the drive! as for the windshield, i just used a very carefully masked piece of matte black vinyl to use as the little "frit" and so far it has held up pretty well in the direct texas sun.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
edmfperez

here's a detailed image:

Old 08-12-2016, 09:46 AM   #17
edmfperez

Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #18
edmfperez

it's a little ghetto but it will suffice (and it works) until i inevitably get a new windshield

Old 08-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #19
bimer21

looks good for me, as long as it does the job, and doesnt look ugly im happy and yours looks decent as hell, so yeah i will do that as well on mines, only thing im missing is the wire connections and which are the pins, then i will post my details here as well, so other member can benefit from this info.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:15 PM   #20
edmfperez

Note: Before Proceeding, Please disconnect the Battery

Dealing with Grounds:

Firstly, you will want to grab about 15 feet (~5m) of wire to create the grounding lead that will go from the RLS to the chassis. Now, take your ring terminal and crimp it into the wire using the diagram instructions I have provided below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	edmfperezRLS2016ringCrimpDiag.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	638666  

Tags
gm5, light sensor retrofit, rain light sensor, rain sensor retrofit