E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #41
jlcool007

My Ride: E46 330ci Smoked Out
i have an idea. what if you just tap into those lines instead of removing them completely from the cd changer? that way, you disconnect your ipod if you want to listen to the cd changer, and connect the ipod (while making sure the cd player is on pause) to listen to the ipod.

only thing is... i don't think the cd changer HAS a pause or stop... does it? or do you just change inputs/turn off the stereo lol? i have an 01 330ci witht he 6cd changer in the back and 4:3 navi

***staggered style #68 330ci spt. pgk. wheels w/ PS2's***

***full set amber 2001 330ci lights***

***99-01 coupe smoked corners***

Jason Le Blanc's Facebook profile
jlcool007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #42
tegboi

My Ride: 323i.GROM.rhdDA9.cub
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTPMotorsports View Post
Exactly the same system I have and works perfectly!!

Go for it
w00t! i'll be tackling this mod, this week.

my car is a '99 323i w/ HK system, & 6 cd changer mounted on the center upper deck in the trunk.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #43
tegboi

My Ride: 323i.GROM.rhdDA9.cub
Here's a picture by picture DIY to install an AUX input that reads from the "CD" option on my '99 323i w/ HK system. Cassette player/AM/FM/CD (changer in the trunk) incase you dont want to cut into the harness/cut into the wires/cut the wires.

Before you continue, im not held responsible if you shock yourself, harm yourself, fry the CD changer system, fry your computer, fry your car, or fry an egg..

Keys out of the ignition, and go play..

Tools Needed:
(+) phillips screwdriver
small (-) flathead screwdriver.
small single straight pick
wire stripper / cutter
quality electrical tape (3M) &/or correct sized heat shrink tubing
heat gun or lighter if using heat shrink tubing

Hardware Needed:
$7 at Fry's electronics - two RCA Stereo Audio Leads to 3.5mm stereo plug - (I used a 10ft, i should've gotten a 15ft or 20ft)

the wire

the trunk

the back of the CD changer w/ wires removed

a better look

the two sets of wire harnesses. the lower harness has a small tab to press, and makes it easier to disconnect. The top harness was actually harder to remove, and had no tab i saw to press in. NEVER PULL FROM THE WIRES! get a hold of the black plastic of the plug, and attempt to disconnect from that.

by removing 2 or 3 of the black metal tapping screws on the CD changer wiring harness, it gives you alot of slack to work with.

take pictures, write down, paint a painting.. do what you have to do, to remember which wires go into which slots. the black harness is marked 1 through 6. two of the larger black wires on the harness stay untouched. This step is to be able to back track incase you need to reverse the installation.

Locate the 6 pin connector (i believe it only has 5 pins, used of the 6 pin connector. wires in no particular order RED/WHITE/GREY/BLACK/BLACK) using the pick, small flathead screwdriver, or equivalent tool, locate the plastic tab that locks the cover, onto the 6 pin connector, and separate the cover from the connector.

upclose with locking area pressed away from locking tab

using the pick or equivalent tool, press down lightly onto the metal tabs of the red, the white, and the grey wires, and remove them from the plug.

wires removed from plug

as stated before, from the RCA to 3.5mm stereo plug, the bare metal are attached together to make 1 signal and attaches to the grey wire onto the CD changer harness. the red wire from the RCA end goes to the red wire onto the CD changer harness, the white wire from the RCA end goes to the white wire onto the CD changer harness. at this point, you want to strip at least 1.5" or 2" off of each wire end, of the RCA to 3.5mm stereo plug, and you can use that exposed wire to wrap onto each connection it needs to be connected to. bow tie it, wrap it, whatever way you would like. If this will be a permanent, or at least a not so temporary setup, you can solder each wire onto the plug, and heatshrink each connection for the best possible connection & protection.

(i didnt have heatshrink big enough to cover the whole connected area, so i used some quality 3M electrical tape, taped each connection very tight & securely, and each connection i taped, i taped together with the previously taped connection.

connect the top plug, the plug with the brown wire/red wire/white&yellow wire. clip the cover/cap back onto the 6 pin plug. leave the 6 pin connection unplugged from the CD changer.

I then routed the new wire that goes to the AUX with the old wire from the CD changer, to the existing wire, opened the black plastic loop slightly larger, and reinstalled the 2 or 3 black faced phillips head screws that secure the harness onto the car. give the wires a little slack.

once everything is back together, taped safely, & secure, it's time to test it out.

key in the ignition to key position I. turn the volume down on the head unit, select "CD" plug the AUX wire into your iphone/ipod/mp3 player/etc and select play on your favorite song. turn the volume up on your head unit, and enjoy.

routing the wire from the trunk to wherever you want is up to you, be sure to route the wire safely, use grommets where applicable, avoid the wire from kinking, stay away from sharp objects, and this is where i mentioned above i wished i purchased a 15' or 20' cord, instead of a 10'

it's barely enough to go through the armrest opening of the rear seat, to the ebrake handle area, and give me a little bit of slack onto my phone. I will just use an extension, 5' or more, route it nicely and hidden under the carpet/seats/etc, and find a female 3.5mm audio jack to set it somewhere with a plug, so the wire isnt just hanging around.

Last edited by tegboi; 08-12-2011 at 05:16 AM.
tegboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #44
9deuce9rr

My Ride: 99 323i, 66 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalik-seattle View Post
Hey I have the mode button and I got a cassete player but someone stole my changer from the back before i bought the car =( so i just got all the wires hanging there but no changer itself.. Could i still do it somehow or changer is necessary???
The changer is necessary, but you can usually find them for super cheap when they come around
Old 08-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #45
wrexy79

My Ride: BMW X5
Thank you for these photos and information. I have been searching the net to get a way to attach an aux cable for my custom install. My plans are to install a Mac mini computer to my NAV screen. Tried it out on my X5 E53 and it works a treat. I have heard that the E49 uses the same cables etc, so once the install is completed I will have a post on xoutpost detailing the completed install.
wrexy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:41 AM   #46
peter.210

My Ride: 318i 2001
so is this compatible with a 2001 business cd player without a cd changer?
thanks
peter.210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 12:49 AM   #47
Tiag46

My Ride: e46
No Peter, you need the CD changer wires in order to wire this up.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #48
Russianwill

My Ride: '05 BMW 330ci
Send a message via Skype™ to Russianwill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean320ci View Post
No Peter, you need the CD changer wires in order to wire this up.
What if it is presided for cd changer but no cd changer?
Russianwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:31 AM   #49
Russianwill

My Ride: '05 BMW 330ci
Send a message via Skype™ to Russianwill
*prewired
Russianwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #50
Tiag46

My Ride: e46
No, you need a CD changer.
The smaller connector needs to be plugged in to the CD changer, and you need a disc in the CD changer in order for this mod to work.

Last edited by Tiag46; 01-28-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Tiag46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:52 PM   #51
PTPMotorsports

My Ride: 330Ci 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean320ci View Post
No, you need a CD changer.
The smaller connector needs to be plugged in to the CD changer, and you need a disc in the CD changer in order for this mod to work.
Exactly, the other option its to find a way to "cheat" the unit to believe theres a functional cd changer, have no idea how to do it sorry.
PTPMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #52
ondalo

My Ride: 330i
Dude just put a blank cd in the changer and let it play
ondalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:03 AM   #53
kroymander

My Ride: 2003 330Ci 5MT
So has anyone figured out what 'signal' needs to be sent from the CD changer to the head unit in order for the head unit to think that there is a CD changer with a CD in it?

There's only a couple wires there so unless its some sort of serial data being sent back and forth (doubtful) it's probably as simple as a single pin showing +12V when the CD changer is playing so the head unit knows it's there and it can switch to it.

I'm asking because I don't have a CD changer and don't want to go buy one if I don't have to just to get this working. Anyone with a CD changer want to do a a little testing to figure out what we need to rig up to trick the head unit?
kroymander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:41 AM   #54
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
Again, has any one been able to get this working without cd changer; only pre wired harness? And a HU that has CD button instead of mode.

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:19 AM   #55
peter.210

My Ride: 318i 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer_Addict View Post
Again, has any one been able to get this working without cd changer; only pre wired harness? And a HU that has CD button instead of mode.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/350407652...84.m1439.l2649
Old 06-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #56
HrdCorNJ

My Ride: 325xi
No CD Changer

Anyone figure out how to trick the hu into thinking that is has a cd changer?
HrdCorNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 04:48 PM   #57
Bimmer_Addict

My Ride: E46 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by HrdCorNJ View Post
Anyone figure out how to trick the hu into thinking that is has a cd changer?
I second that!!, any one knows?

00 E46 323I current
08 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo current
08 E60 535I LEASE OVER
02 E66 745LI LEMON
98 E39 528I SOLD
91 E30 316I SOLD
Bimmer_Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM   #58
MojoJoe

My Ride: leaks fluids
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroymander View Post
So has anyone figured out what 'signal' needs to be sent from the CD changer to the head unit in order for the head unit to think that there is a CD changer with a CD in it?

There's only a couple wires there so unless its some sort of serial data being sent back and forth (doubtful) it's probably as simple as a single pin showing +12V when the CD changer is playing so the head unit knows it's there and it can switch to it.

I'm asking because I don't have a CD changer and don't want to go buy one if I don't have to just to get this working. Anyone with a CD changer want to do a a little testing to figure out what we need to rig up to trick the head unit?
Sorry to say but the CD changer actually is chattering over the IBus letting the headunit know that it is there. If you do not have a CD changer one option is to buy a virtual cd change aux in unit like this.
MojoJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:52 PM   #59
Carter22

My Ride: 01' 325xiT, 72' 2002
5 minutes later and I'm streaming Spotify!

Thank you OP!
Carter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:40 AM   #60
328isawesome

My Ride: Batmobile
Great write up OP! Would it be possible for you to make a write up of the USB hook-up under the arm rest? I'm really interested in doing something like that, do you think that it would work at transferring audio via an iphone with the usb connector?
328isawesome is offline   Reply With Quote