E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #1
Solatso

My Ride: 2001 330i
Eagle Eye Outter Ring Mod

I was wondering if anyone has a DIY (or could direct me to one) for wiring the outter ring of the Eagle Eye LED Tails to light up when you hit the brakes. I found one for OEM but it looks like the EE tails are wired differently. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
Locutus09

My Ride: Something Slow
Interested in this as well
Old 01-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
That's odd. Are they actual Eagle Eye brand? My Eagle Eye brand LED tails light up all the LED's including the outers. Most aftermarket LED tails I've seen already have this done. Easier for the designing of the harnesses as well for the companies.
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
Solatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
That's odd. Are they actual Eagle Eye brand? My Eagle Eye brand LED tails light up all the LED's including the outers. Most aftermarket LED tails I've seen already have this done. Easier for the designing of the harnesses as well for the companies.
I think it has to do with the model year of the car, I have an '01 sedan and they never came with LED tails even as an option so I don't think the cars wiring is set up for it. I could be wrong though.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
No difference as my 02 which had normal halogen tails. Aftermarket LED tails comes with the proper transformers and modules to make the pre LED cars work. You could also use OEM LED tails but your LCM has to be flashed otherwise you would throw a brake lamp out indicator.
Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Solatso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
No difference as my 02 which had normal halogen tails. Aftermarket LED tails comes with the proper transformers and modules to make the pre LED cars work. You could also use OEM LED tails but your LCM has to be flashed otherwise you would throw a brake lamp out indicator.
The OEM tails won't fit a pre-facelift sedan, if I had an '02 then I could do that but with the '01 everything was different. I wanted to go OEM but it wasn't an option. Us pre-facelifters are the oddballs in the e46 world, LOTS of stuff is just different enough to not work out, it can be tough when it comes to modding.