E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #1
330iZHPftw

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP, SV650
coax or components in rear of sedan

for those that have upgraded their rear speakers:

Did you go with coaxial speakers or components? If you went with components, did you install the tweeters and where?

I've read that some say the sound is too harsh with tweeters in the rear / it throws off the "soundstage" for the front passengers.

And if you installed coaxials, were you able to use the factory grill without any irreversible modifications to the deck / grill?

(95% of the time I don't have rear passengers and when I do, I am not cranking the volume)

Last edited by 330iZHPftw; 01-26-2011 at 08:31 PM.
330iZHPftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #2
330iZHPftw

I think the decision is really between going with components in the rear and only installing the woofer or installing coaxials.

In terms of sound quality / imaging what is the best move?
Old 01-26-2011, 08:52 PM   #3
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
Check out my install. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815525
i went wih components in the back and when i get it to it i will install the same in the front. I have infinity kappa 60.9cs.

You can always adjust the tweeter level in the crossovers. I personnally think they sound ok, but i dont have the fronts done yet, so maybe it will sound different with all.
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
95seriesbmw

My Ride: BMW X5, BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iZHPftw View Post
I think the decision is really between going with components in the rear and only installing the woofer or installing coaxials.

In terms of sound quality / imaging what is the best move?

install only the midrange woofers. leave the tweets for up front use only.
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
330iZHPftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaM7 View Post
Check out my install. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=815525
i went wih components in the back and when i get it to it i will install the same in the front. I have infinity kappa 60.9cs.

You can always adjust the tweeter level in the crossovers. I personnally think they sound ok, but i dont have the fronts done yet, so maybe it will sound different with all.
Your rear tweeter install looks nice..I'm trying to avoid any permanent cutting of exposed interior bits or deviation from the OEM look...did you try placing the tweeters in the doors where the mid-range's are? I think that location might be too close to the heads of the front passengers though..
Old 01-27-2011, 03:25 AM   #6
lumpy
Banned

My Ride: VW Golf
I would be very careful with the interior materials, preferably don't cut or destroy anything.
lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 06:10 AM   #7
miaM7

Quote:
Your rear tweeter install looks nice..I'm trying to avoid any permanent cutting of exposed interior bits or deviation from the OEM look...did you try placing the tweeters in the doors where the mid-range's are? I think that location might be too close to the heads of the front passengers though..
No i didnt given that my crappy canadian 6 speaker system. In the back, we only have the stock woofer on the deck. I definitly didnt want to cut the door trim. Its no biggy cuttin into things, look my install is very clean for the tweeters.

I know some people are eery of cuttin things, but at point in your DiY experience, you'll have to do it.
Old 01-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
330iZHPftw

I think I'm going to go with components in the rear..try it w/o the tweeters and see how it sounds and then have the option to add the tweets.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
330iZHPftw

FYI here's a solid article I found regarding rear fill speakers http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-speakers.html
Old 01-28-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
miaM7

Quote:
FYI here's a solid article I found regarding rear fill speakers http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...-speakers.html
Very interesting read. Although itake it with a grain of salt. Surely all those car companies cant be that stupid about installing rear speakers, or even putting them in stereo!

Hpwever he does mention that you should definitly limit the high frequency for the rear. So ill try without wheni install my front speakers.

What does your car has in the back? Woofer ? Is there a stock midrange or tweeter?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:09 PM   #11
niko084

My Ride: '02 330ci
Car companies build such HIGH end stereos to start with.... :-/
Rear fill isn't even wanted by an audiophile because it's disrupts the sound stage *which belongs in front of you*.
In a car they are much more concerned about everyone being able to hear the song or news without the volume up. Or being able to fade to a set of speakers so others may sleep.

Now, do not waste money on components at all.
Coaxils are fine if you like the complete loss of your front sound stage or you plan on turning them down to nearly no volume, they also work if you want even sound for back seat passengers.

Standard run of the mill 6-6.5" mid-range / mid-bass driver that delivers 100hz-4khz.... That's where the money is at IMO, they give a faint almost reverb mixed with nice midbass reinforcement *very helpful if you play music extremely loud and have very powerful subs* and they give some sound for rear seat passengers.
niko084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #12
miaM7

i already bought my two pairs of Infinity Kappa 60.9cs from a fellow fanatic for an awesome price. even beats the price of a pair of coax.
i hear you, car companies install **** systems in general ...

But back to the topic, i will experiment with the tweeters in the rear, i can always disconnect the wiring or attenuate them by 6dB. it seems the learning never stops ...
Old 01-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
330iZHPftw

I think I am going to run a set of MB Quart 6.5 midbass drivers (MB Quart PVI 164) in the rear..can be had for about $80.

Now I need to figure out which components in the front and 4 ch amp to go with.