E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #1
nauti1us

My Ride: 2011 e92 xDrive
Ground Loop Noise After BT Install?

Wondering if anybody can point me in the right direction... installed a new TCU unit last weekend so the car would have BT; followed this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=installing+bt

Had a little bit of low frequency noise when I tested post-install in my garage but figured it was acceptable. When I finally had a call come through whilst I was driving, interference from what I think is ground loop noise went through the roof.

Any obvious places I should check first, before tearing the install apart? Does it make any difference that the battery wasn't unplugged when I did the install?

FYI, I only get the ground loop noise when using the BT, radio sounds fine and I'll check the aux first thing tomorrow (was fine before though)

Thanks
nauti1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:30 PM   #2
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
Maybe its some kind of othr noise. Why do you say it is ground loop related? How does hat noise sound like?
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
nauti1us

The best way I can describe it is alternator noise, which I've heard before when I installed a USASpec in a previous car
Old 01-28-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
okeydokey

My Ride: 2000 328ci TopazBlau
I don't have any experience with the bluetooth tcu, but you might want to check the back of the radio plugs to be sure they are all tight. I believe the tel audio is carried in the same plug as the cd changer on the back of the radio.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:24 PM   #5
miaM7

My Ride: 04 325i Sp
given that you also had that with the USA spec, maybe you want to check your ground in the engine bay? you said its alternator noise, do you mean whine , that increases with engine RPM ?

most answers you'd get is that you have a ground loop. But how to find that damn ground loop, no one says !!! make sure your ground is solid, blah blah, but no real answers !

Try this, measure the the DC voltage in your engine bay between two points. the suspension tower bolt and the engine metal piece to lift the engine with. it should be very close to 0V. it may lead you to somewhere, but maybe nowhere !

I am still on the hunt for that ground loop/bad ground in my car.
miaM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:42 PM   #6
nauti1us

Cool, thanks guys