E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #41
Engage

My Ride: Imola Red 04 E46 M3
If you have a BMW CCA membership 1Qt of Castrol 10W60 is only $11.25 (when you present your membership at checkout at the dealership).
Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM   #42
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody350 View Post
Does anyone use Motul? I use it in my Z and I love it. It's pretty expensive, but it really seems to help eliminate cold starts and I've noticed that engine temps are lower.
We offer Motul as well as many other gourmet oils for the S54 below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:07 PM   #43
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuningJoe View Post
We offer Motul as well as many other gourmet oils for the S54 below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe
Thanks. Do you guys have any packages for all fluids? Hopefully I'll be picking up an M3 in the next month or two and regardless of the maintenance history, I'd like to change all the fluids.

Also, does Motul make any fluid suitable for an SMG?
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 PM   #44
turbo911cm

My Ride: 05 E46 M3
Screw it, just ordered oil analysis kit.

I will be the guinea pig.

Full write up pending arrival of kit and supplied analysis.

Last edited by turbo911cm; 02-04-2011 at 02:10 PM. Reason: made the jump, bought the kit.
turbo911cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:58 PM   #45
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo911cm View Post

Old 02-04-2011, 03:01 PM   #46
SteveG

My Ride: 2004 M3 Coupe
It's a $20,000 Motor....

so why mess around? I'm sure the BMW Motorports Division had input with Castrol on its formulation and testing, so do you really think you can get an oil that's so much 'better' for this car? It's hypothetically possible that newer oils formulated since then might be 'better', but you probably need to be a chemist to really know if you're getting anything really superior than OEM. Cheaper, you can get, yes, but not worth it with a $20k motor, IMHO.

'04 M3, Imola/Black
-aFe CAI, Supersprint headers/race cats/x-pipe with resonater, Sharked, Eibach springs/sways, Konis, Dinan 4.1 diff, CSL Brakes, UUC Evo3 SSK and tranny mounts, 19" Champion RG4s

'03 Boxster S, Seal Grey/Black-Evo CAI, GIAC ECU tuning, NHP sport headers w/bypass pipes, Porsche sport exhaust, M030, H&R springs, B&M SSK, 18" Carreras

'05 325xi Touring, Mystic blue/Beige-stock, "the wife's"
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:46 PM   #47
DINANM3E46

My Ride: 2004 M3
Send a message via AIM to DINANM3E46
Quote:

Lol. No punk for that!

[ My N/A S54 ]
[ Mods-Listed-In-My-Garage ]
DINANM3E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38 PM   #48
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
so why mess around? I'm sure the BMW Motorports Division had input with Castrol on its formulation and testing, so do you really think you can get an oil that's so much 'better' for this car? It's hypothetically possible that newer oils formulated since then might be 'better', but you probably need to be a chemist to really know if you're getting anything really superior than OEM. Cheaper, you can get, yes, but not worth it with a $20k motor, IMHO.

The engineers and chemists of these other brands probably reverse engineered the castrol formula, copied the chemical formula, created a new one similar to what the original castrol engineers developed, and sold it for a cheaper price to profit. Its not hard to do with extensive testing and time, this happens in the market all the time.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #49
turbo911cm

My Ride: 05 E46 M3
I am doing it for other reasons as well.

I feel it would be valuable to be able to compare
1. Castrol out of the bottle vs. any competitor (lets see the additive packages)
2. Castrol after it has been driven in a car for 6k miles(maybe 8 by the time I get to the oil change) Lets see if there is any breakdown? If so, what?
3. Competitor oil analysis after it has been driven for 8k- see if there is any breakdown vs. potential breakdown of the Castrol.

Point 2 alone would be beneficial information to have as some people change their oil at 5.7.9k or even 15k intervals. Having a better baseline to use for decision making beyond sales pitches of various companies is important in my opinion (driving conditions will be different on cars, that is a given, but for my testing purposes on a bone stock, no option M3, it would be good to have)

This will take some time to achieve, but if I start now, probably will have it completed by June-ish (just in time for track season)

Oil change coming up hopefully in two weeks!
turbo911cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:41 PM   #50
DINANM3E46

My Ride: 2004 M3
Send a message via AIM to DINANM3E46
Quote:

1. Castrol out of the bottle vs. any competitor (lets see the additive packages)
2. Castrol after it has been driven in a car for 6k miles(maybe 8 by the time I get to the oil change) Lets see if there is any breakdown? If so, what?
3. Competitor oil analysis after it has been driven for 8k- see if there is any breakdown vs. potential breakdown of the Castrol.

Point 2 alone would be beneficial information to have as some people change their oil at 5.7.9k or even 15k intervals. Having a better baseline to use for decision making beyond sales pitches of various companies is important in my opinion (driving conditions will be different on cars, that is a given, but for my testing purposes on a bone stock, no option M3, it would be good to have)

This will take some time to achieve, but if I start now, probably will have it completed by June-ish (just in time for track season)

[ My N/A S54 ]
[ Mods-Listed-In-My-Garage ]
DINANM3E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:44 PM   #51
magnetic1

My Ride: MysticPair
Quote:

There are already VOAs out there for TWS. Just not for stuff like LubriMoly. I, for one, just hate all the OMG OMG OMG!!!!! TWS or DIE!!!!!!!

The links/PMs are all great, but they are all from BMW/Castrol's side. Of course they are going to spew out that oil love. There ARE better oils out there, but without an "engineer" or chemist to hype it up, nothing will change. You'll have to look at some oil analysis from some race motors with 2-3 weekends on it and see how the oil has done versus Motul 300V, etc. TWS lovers may be surprised at the differences.

I love how people always argue that it is OEM and BMW engineers know best, etc etc. Then they go and change their RTABS, shocks, swaybars, brake pads, exhaust, etc to non-OEM, non-BMW engineered stuff with the hypocritical argument that BMW engineers DONT know best and are compromising things.
2004 Mystic Blue #121 NASA GTS3 Racecar
2003.5 Mystic Blue Street Car

Last edited by magnetic1; 02-04-2011 at 06:46 PM.
magnetic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:13 PM   #52
widebody350

My Ride: 350Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetic1 View Post
There are already VOAs out there for TWS. Just not for stuff like LubriMoly. I, for one, just hate all the OMG OMG OMG!!!!! TWS or DIE!!!!!!!

The links/PMs are all great, but they are all from BMW/Castrol's side. Of course they are going to spew out that oil love. There ARE better oils out there, but without an "engineer" or chemist to hype it up, nothing will change. You'll have to look at some oil analysis from some race motors with 2-3 weekends on it and see how the oil has done versus Motul 300V, etc. TWS lovers may be surprised at the differences.

I love how people always argue that it is OEM and BMW engineers know best, etc etc. Then they go and change their RTABS, shocks, swaybars, brake pads, exhaust, etc to non-OEM, non-BMW engineered stuff with the hypocritical argument that BMW engineers DONT know best and are compromising things.
Never heard of TWS, but Motul 300v is the ****. As I said in my previous post, I notice a decrease in engine temps and no cold starts unless the car sits for a bit in the cold. This is in a 350Z, not an M3 btw.

Haha I guess that is somewhat hypocritical, but I think people replace factory parts with more "hardcore" performance driven engineered products that sacrifice comfort. They could also do it because it may be cheaper depending on the parts.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #53
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody350 View Post
Thanks. Do you guys have any packages for all fluids? Hopefully I'll be picking up an M3 in the next month or two and regardless of the maintenance history, I'd like to change all the fluids.

Also, does Motul make any fluid suitable for an SMG?
Shoot me a PM and we will get you all square away with everything you'll need to get it right and rain!

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #54
imolalola1993

My Ride: Hellrot e46 m3
Been using motul 10w 60 on my 4th oil change now and plain and simple ill never go back to Castrol it doesn't burn at all 5000 miles and I'm still at full. Stays cleaner also runs cooler temps for the money it's well worth it
imolalola1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #55
TopazID

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
where do you buy it from? and whats the price difference VS the Castrol TWS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolalola1993 View Post
Been using motul 10w 60 on my 4th oil change now and plain and simple ill never go back to Castrol it doesn't burn at all 5000 miles and I'm still at full. Stays cleaner also runs cooler temps for the money it's well worth it
Old 07-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #56
Moosecakes

My Ride: 02' SMG M3
Good info in here, I second the motul purchasing location! Where can we find it?

Does anyone have any comparisons or analysis of the motul oil vs the recommended TMS 10w60?

Tags
10w60 oil, bmw m3, filter, oil change