E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 01:11 AM   #21
//SICK3OY//
Nerf Herder

My Ride: 2005 330ci ZHP
Why go Full ATX??

I'm not sure I quite understand why you went with a full ATX case for your in-car PC.. With all of the options available for mini and micro cases, it seems a bit overkill to go full tower.. Undeniably good work you are doing there, very curious as to what applications you are going to run, assuming you are going with a Linux/Unix OS.. Keep us posted..

//SICK3OY// -out
//SICK3OY// is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:11 AM   #22
MITE46

My Ride: 323i
Thanks for the props guys...

Currently its powered by a 200W DC-to-DC powersupply and its fine....XP1600+, LCD monitor, two video cards, few usb devices, LEDs, two notebook 40GB drives RAID0....usually this needs 400W+ but for some reason i've been fine with it....

kyle5574 - yes the case is mounted in a box i made...that took a few days. Its another powersupply wrapped in foam in a cage.....it shocked tested it today and its fine...=) I've got lots of pictures of that later...

BMW328Ci - you came to CPW? Did you check out our roofdeck party by any chance? It was PBE's aftershock....

I've taken pictures along the way and i have lots to show, I'll have them made into a webpage so its easier to see...I have about 100 pictures so far.

For the Xbox, I replaced the Seagate HD with a notebook HD with foam. The DVD player on the unit is not shock proof either....i think it would skip alot on the road...I personally haven't used the dvdrom on the road just the xbox itself... For the mounting you can just extend the 6 screws on the unit into the stock mounting frame....Then buy the paneling for the stock CD changer that has a little window/knob compartment thingy...thats what i did for my comp

Again, this is Version 2 of the car computing project, Version 1 was done almost two years ago and documented here....

http://e46.mit.edu/Custom_Computer.htm

Version two is just mounted in the rear instead in the front and a few other speed/storage upgrades...

Enjoy!
MITE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 01:18 AM   #23
MITE46

//SICK3OY//

Why full atx? Well Version one was Micro atx, with onboard lan, audio, video....nice board but i crave two things...the speed of RAID0 (onboard on fullatx boards) and i have a special video card for my LVDS panel...something you won't find integrated on microatx/flexatx. If there was integrated DVI, then i'd jump on that but i haven't seen anything like that yet...The quality of my LVDS TFT screen is compariable to a DVI MVA screen....a big step up from analog.

Well from here i actually want to run some signal processing on instantenous senors....I'd like to design a system where the car could actually warn me of road conditions/approaching cars etc...of course this is all just dreams but maybe it'll happen ya know?

EDIT: oops forgot to make my point...anyway the custom agp video card is a big card, and normally its perpendicular to the motherboard which is an very odd shape to mount....so i bought this AGP elbo which turn it at 90 degrees as u can see in the picture...what happens is it extends the size of microatx, so i might as well have a full atx board...it really isn't ALL that much bigger...again the whole thing fits underneath the stock cd changer liner....

Last edited by MITE46; 05-04-2003 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:34 AM   #24
devGOD
devGOD

My Ride: AA S/C 2000 323i
Send a message via AIM to devGOD Send a message via Yahoo to devGOD
ok that's just STUPID. honestly WHY a laptop is a lot lighter and in some cases more powerful then a desktop. i have a 2.4ghz laptop with 1gb or ram. anyway, why a tower case there are a lot of mini case other there.

and if you need tones for DVD, MP3 or VCD just get a system. there are more than a few systems out that can play vcds, cdr cdrw dvdr/rw too. so putting a desktop computer in your car is going over board. i guess if you want to be a showoff by all means go ahead. but i don't know to many people that would be impressed by a desktop computer in a car. maybe a fellow computer geek.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:40 AM   #25
MITE46

I have one of those laptops and even though its 1.4+ghz or whatevers....

1. its still the mobile processor, usually less cache
2. its difficult to interface with, no touch screen, wobbles around in the passenger seat, extra power cables loose etc..
3. one notebook HD is very slow...
4. if you read the rest of my post, i am trying to design applications for my computer for a direction i want to go in my career

BTW, this was never meant to impress anyone but just myself....I currently use it most for MP3's....what i do is on my desktop at home I have abreifcase of all the new songs that i listen to. I erase the old ones and put in new ones....Whenever my car is in range of a wireless signal, it'll go online and sync with the desktop computer so my playlist is always fresh, no CDs, no Media, simple constant supply of new songs.....I am not sure how else you could do this. I hope that answers ur question..

Old 05-04-2003, 01:59 AM   #26
HaN-hAn

My Ride: E46 Coupe
nice work... esp on the video card... did u rig up the custom card inc. PCB urself?
HaN-hAn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:34 AM   #27
Mpowered
Crazy Boy

My Ride: 02 M3
Send a message via AIM to Mpowered
very nice work!

One of the things I like is the new centrino that has the wireless broadbad internet... Do you know if theres anything like that for desktops you could install into your computer, pay 30 dollars a month and get internet anywhere you go driving? would it work when driving around esp at highway speeds? what do you think?

if I could get that in my car, thats something i would do. Also do you think theres any way we could get an obd2 diagnostics program to work on microsoft xbox EvoX dashboard?
Old 05-04-2003, 02:46 AM   #28
carguy84
Banned

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
i don't know to many people that would be impressed by a desktop computer in a car. maybe a fellow computer geek.
And that geek would be really impressed... I guess you need to know what goes into being able to run a computer in that type of enviorment, running heavy software, especially if he does get into analyzing objects in front of his car..that's some serious analyzing that will need the power of a PC.

The mp3 syncing is just down right bad ass.
Chip-
carguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 02:48 AM   #29
MITE46

I haven't seen the Centino in person yet...I thought all it had was a faster processor that did better compared to the PIIIm and P4m....

for wireless broadband....

802.11b = no way, at the speeds ur going the cells sizes are too small to be effective, and changing from one ap to the other takes like 1 or two seconds....in that time your already gone....UNLESS you are going 100mph in a circle on a racetrack and you have the AP in the middle with omnidirectional antenna..then yes..

Cellular = as far as i know speeds are pretty ****ty...I recall somethinkg liek14.4 speeds? it may have been a few years ago....

other wireless = i know in chicago downtown area they offer some sort of wireless service that is supposed to be 10mbit...a friend of mine works at akamai says its pretty good...i dunno what technology they are using but maybe that one?

I know when im going down Mem drive in front of MIT's like two mile stretch, my wireless card goes crazy jumping from AP to AP at least 3-4 times....connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect...MIT has something like 500+ Access points now but yea it doesn't work well unless your parked.

OBD2 on evox would be insane!!...i really really doubt they have something like that....first u would need a reader right...i guess a usb scan tool? or a wireless one through the network port? I dunno but it sure sounds cool....
Old 05-04-2003, 03:09 AM   #30
trybaljedi
XXXX

My Ride: XXXX.
Send a message via AIM to trybaljedi
my god, this shiit is badazzz.....you have some crazy shiit on that website......maaad props!
trybaljedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:33 AM   #31
MCD007
Im The Man

My Ride: 325ci
Send a message via AIM to MCD007
I run an 800mhz via system in my car.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:50 AM   #32
BMW328Ci

My Ride: 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to BMW328Ci
MITE46- Yea, i was at CPW... i stayed in next house on fri night with a kid, i dont think i got to go to the roof deck party. I think it was on saturday night, and i had to leave on saturday at around 2 30 in the afternoon.
Old 05-04-2003, 01:28 PM   #33
Mpowered
Crazy Boy

Quote:
Originally posted by MITE46
other wireless = i know in chicago downtown area they offer some sort of wireless service that is supposed to be 10mbit...a friend of mine works at akamai says its pretty good...i dunno what technology they are using but maybe that one?
Hmm... I was talking about the mobile connection that they offer through Tmobile and Centrino....

Maybe I'll buy a centrino computer and use the try it out option to see if it works in a moving car.
Old 05-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #34
psymon

My Ride: '05 X5 4.4
well as a self proclaimed computer geek.. I mus say I am impressed...

well done and keep up the good work.
psymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:30 PM   #35
MITE46

BMW328Ci - Darn, we were discussing when we should have our party and we were concerned with ppl who left early on saturday wouldn't be able to come heh....Are you going to come to MIT, or where else did you decide....We're supposed to convince you to come haha....Partying is a big big part of MIT life here so make sure u get the whole picture =) We have another roof deck 5/9, you're welcome to come....we usually have two dance floors, hiphop/rap on the roof, and a techno/trance room w/ projectors in another...anyway if you want a flyer leave me a PM

Mpowered - Off google "companies provide WiFi-compatible wireless access at various Hotspot locations for
Intel® Centrino™ mobile technology." To what i understand WiFi is just the wireless ethernet 802.11 family. I guess intel centrino just has a wifi chip built in?, i doubt its built in right on to the centrino CPU, but prolly very close to the CPU. I guess you just pay tmobile and they register your mac adress in all their and affil'ed hotspots and you can use it there...well regardless the coverage isn't going to be great with this technology....With a directional antenna and no obstructions, to another directional antenna you can get like a few miles off of WiFi, infact my internet connection right now is WiFi to a building about quarter mile away. Lets say you want constant net on the freeway, they are going to have to line the freeway with Ap's with directional antennas in both directions...Plus you don't have a directional antenna in your end....yeah i just don't think it'll work for our purposes....Maybe i am completely wrong....but if it does sign me up for Tmobile now!!!!! heh So go buy a centrino notebook and tell me how it is =)
Old 05-04-2003, 04:41 PM   #36
TimeFor

Location: I'm in One Place and One Place Only. At The End of The World Where The Lions Weep. Here is The Place Where Dreams Are Born.
My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP (SOLD)
What is so bad ass about that? I don't understand what the hype is about? Not that hard to put a computer in your car. I built a system for my friends car. Took his old laptop and refit it under his driver seat. But where I think it become cool is that the system runs off a touch screen monitor and wireless keyboard. And its integrated with his sound system to display AVS with all his music.
TimeFor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:18 PM   #37
carguy84
Banned

My Ride: 330i
and what is it that MITE46 said he was going to do with his.....
carguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 07:43 PM   #38
Mpowered
Crazy Boy

you're right, T-mobile is only a hot spot system with wifi set in different praces. looks like ull only get connection if you park outside selected starbucks'
Old 05-04-2003, 07:45 PM   #39
MITE46

or you can drive as fast as you want around the starbucks =)

Its actually more useful than you think it is...since wifi is so popular now compared to liek 3 years ago....and most people leave their networks wide open....If I am waiting for a friend i can usually sniff out a signal and use their dsl/cable....this has happened multiple times in the city =)
Old 05-04-2003, 07:54 PM   #40
RyE

My Ride: 323Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by MITE46
or you can drive as fast as you want around the starbucks =)

Its actually more useful than you think it is...since wifi is so popular now compared to liek 3 years ago....and most people leave their networks wide open....If I am waiting for a friend i can usually sniff out a signal and use their dsl/cable....this has happened multiple times in the city =)
Yea you are right. Check out the map we have for our small town of pleasanton. If you use netstumbler, it will change access points for the best signal when you drive around.

RyE is offline   Reply With Quote