E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
xtascox

My Ride: 325xi
Minor vibration (not cv joint issue)

I had both axles replaced to fix the "shuttering after driving for an hour" problem. All is great, no more shuttering. Though I still do have a minor vibration now that exists randomly while coasting (in and out of gear) and more noticeably during acceleration. It's a mild vibration in the steering wheel. I had an alignment done a few days ago and the car goes straight when the wheel is straight but the wheel veers right when I let go. The alignment issue didn't arise until I had my passenger side axle replaced. The vibration has been there since before I had any axles replaced.

Any thoughts?
xtascox is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
For starters, sounds like you need to go back and get a proper alignment.
Kubica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Captainbiceps

My Ride: e46 330xi
Wheels are balanced too ?
Captainbiceps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
xtascox

My Ride: 325xi
Balanced (and rotated) and I agree with the proper alignment, Going to go to BMW to get a proper alignment,
xtascox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
pilotlviv

My Ride: BMW 325xi
Send a message via Skype™ to pilotlviv
before visiting the BMW try to put the wheel back on the front, if the result is the same, the problem may be in axle. I have had the same problem, but apart from the axes (left and right) I had to change the support

Want quickly - fly an airplane, do you want on time - Take the train, you want both - Fly on your BMW
our web: www.bmw-club.lviv.ua
pilotlviv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 AM   #6
lotar_6

My Ride: '01 xi, '94 Rado
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotlviv View Post
before visiting the BMW try to put the wheel back on the front, if the result is the same, the problem may be in axle. I have had the same problem, but apart from the axes (left and right) I had to change the support
great suggestion! See if the problem follows the wheel first. And it could be a bushing or ball joint starting to go bad if it's independent of the wheel. Or, replace the fluid in the diff's. I had a slight vibration (very slight) that went away when I replaced the fluid in the front diff... of course you prolly have new fluid if the axles were just replaced.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #7
blinkerfluid

My Ride: 2002 325xi
I have a similar problem caused by my front control arm bushings being bad (origional at 130K) This is a really common part to fail, and your car will not hold an alignment at all if these are bad. Do a search and you will find a plethora of threads on FCAB failure.

My car pulls to one side like yours does. Slight vibration, especially under power. It also sort of drifts to the same side under moderate breaking. It enough to be unnerving when driving like an idiot on the freeway. Also, the steering dives to one side when I hit small bumps and potholes. One of my ball joints is going bad, so some of this stuff may be caused by that, but I know most of it is the FCABs.

I haven't done this myself, but I read you can check your FCABs by doing the following: Have a friend watch your front tire from beside the car, while driving slowly. When the brakes are applied, your wheel should remain stationary (front to back direction) with respect to the rest of your car. If it moves front to back when you brake your FCABs are bad.
blinkerfluid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #8
dcaron999

My Ride: 2002 330xi
I had a similar vibration problem, even with my wheels just balanced. The next thing on my trial and error list, was to get the rims fixed, as I was told three out of the four rims were bent when I got them balanced. After swapping my fronts with my backs, and the problem getting worse, I tried something simplistic, which solved my problem. Since we are in the middle of winter here in Quebec, and the car and rims get filthy, I decided I would clean the rims thouroughly, by using a thin piece of wood (paint stirring stick) and scraping the dirt off the interior of my rims, then rinsing with a stream of water.

I did this in my heated garage, and let the car dry over night. To my amazement, the vibration and steering wheel shake I was experiencing at highway speeds before, completely disappeared. So it looks like a slight offset in weight due to crud accumulation on interior of rims, caused the rims to get unbalanced. You might want to try this, even though it sounds ridiculous. Steel rims and hubcaps are perhaps less prone to this problem then rims with spokes....

Last edited by dcaron999; 02-14-2011 at 08:37 AM.
dcaron999 is offline   Reply With Quote