E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
akumar330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10
My Ride: 2004 330ci
Fuel pump problem?

Having some trouble with my e46. It's a 2004, 330ci, manual, 100k miles. Here's what happened:

Few nights ago, I noticed a little bit of weakness in 2nd and 3rd gear. When I had it about 3000 Rpms, the car felt like it was moving with only 1000 Rpms. But the car ran fine the next day. Today, the car was running normally. Then it kind of sputtered, stalled, and wouldn't start. The light on the gas gauge had just turned on, so I thought maybe the gauge was off and I indeed ran out of gas. Got towed to a gas station, filled up, and the car turned on and ran ok. Got to my destination, had the car parked there for about 30 minutes. Then when I was on my way back, the car was running with that weakness again, this time in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The car is at a mechanic now, and he's saying it's a fuel pump problem. He wants $725 to replace pump and filter.

My question is: does this seem like the right diagnosis? And if so, am I getting ripped off?
akumar330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
stockmwk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 370
My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
even if it is the right diagnosis, DIY this if you don't want to pay for the labor
__________________
2000 323i sedan
stockmwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:16 PM   #3
danewilson77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 581
My Ride: 2004 zhp
No...thats what they charge.....bout $125.00/hr.

I wouldn't let them do it. That sheet is rignt under the rear seat and under neath the drivers side of car.

Can't be for sure on the diagnosis.....but I would assume he's correct.
__________________
danewilson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #4
stockmwk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 370
My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
filter http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...uel-Filter.htm

pump http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...-Fuel-Pump.htm
__________________
2000 323i sedan
stockmwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
akumar330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10
My Ride: 2004 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
No...thats what they charge.....bout $125.00/hr.

I wouldn't let them do it. That sheet is rignt under the rear seat and under neath the drivers side of car.

Can't be for sure on the diagnosis.....but I would assume he's correct.
Sorry but what sheet are you referring to?
akumar330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:29 PM   #6
stockmwk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 370
My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
his post didnt make complete sense to me either.

look at the link i posted, the fuel pump DIY shows you the location of the pump is underneath your backseat, and the fuel filter is pretty much on the bottom of your car directly underneath where you sit.
__________________
2000 323i sedan
stockmwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:48 PM   #7
akumar330ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 10
My Ride: 2004 330ci
The car is 40-50 miles from my house right now, so DIY would be a little difficult.

Any other feedback about the diagnosis? Anyone have any experience with this type of problem that I experienced?
akumar330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
stockmwk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 370
My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
it would still be cheaper to have it towed back probably. and the DIY isnt extensive
__________________
2000 323i sedan
stockmwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
G-Hots
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 991
My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockmwk View Post
his post didnt make complete sense to me either.

look at the link i posted, the fuel pump DIY shows you the location of the pump is underneath your backseat, and the fuel filter is pretty much on the bottom of your car directly underneath where you sit.
this is exactly what he meant! lol
parts should be around 300 bucks and if you are good with DIYs and would like to give it a shot; there are plenty of information about it out there. $725 is a fair price but I would DIY this if I were you...
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
jcns
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 1,517
My Ride: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by akumar330ci View Post
Having some trouble with my e46. It's a 2004, 330ci, manual, 100k miles. Here's what happened:

Few nights ago, I noticed a little bit of weakness in 2nd and 3rd gear. When I had it about 3000 Rpms, the car felt like it was moving with only 1000 Rpms. But the car ran fine the next day. Today, the car was running normally. Then it kind of sputtered, stalled, and wouldn't start. The light on the gas gauge had just turned on, so I thought maybe the gauge was off and I indeed ran out of gas. Got towed to a gas station, filled up, and the car turned on and ran ok. Got to my destination, had the car parked there for about 30 minutes. Then when I was on my way back, the car was running with that weakness again, this time in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. The car is at a mechanic now, and he's saying it's a fuel pump problem. He wants $725 to replace pump and filter.

My question is: does this seem like the right diagnosis? And if so, am I getting ripped off?
the symptoms you listed are not very clear, "weakness".
Based on your post, it's hard to know for sure that it's the fuel pump.
100K miles is too soon(on average) for the fuel pump to fail
When was the last time you replace the fuel filter?
When was the last time you used any fuel injector cleaner?
Do you often get gas non-brand name gas? They tend to contain less detergents.
jcns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
danewilson77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 581
My Ride: 2004 zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by akumar330ci View Post
Sorry but what sheet are you referring to?
Sheeeet = Fuel filter and pump
__________________
danewilson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
danewilson77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Posts: 581
My Ride: 2004 zhp
Quote:
Originally Posted by akumar330ci View Post
The car is 40-50 miles from my house right now, so DIY would be a little difficult.

Any other feedback about the diagnosis? Anyone have any experience with this type of problem that I experienced?
This was vital info for your initial post.
__________________
danewilson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
e46, fuel pump, stall, weakness

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use