E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
MrWesson

My Ride: 01 330CI/09 328i
Tie rod/steering rack boot replacement

I searched and found a couple tie rod DIY's and they mention cutting the tie rod to reuse the old boot but doesnt mention if there is a better process to installing a new boot. I assume cut off the old boot but do I have to completely remove the tie rod to install the new one?

I don't need a new tie rod and I am only replacing the boot.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
mcopenha

My Ride: '01 325xi, '73 2002
BMW updated the design of the steering rack boots to *not* require removal of the tie rod end for installation of the boot. The old ones however are likely the older design and need to be cut. The new design consists of 2 pieces -- a rubber boot that is large enough to slip past the tie rod, and an end-piece that mates with the end of the boot.

The clamps can be a pain to get on in the back. I have an xi and the front subframe may have complicated things. I ended up using a zip tie in place of the rear clamps. Doesn't look like you have an xi, but the boots for xi's are slightly different and not interchangeable with non-xi's.

Last edited by mcopenha; 02-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.
mcopenha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
MrWesson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcopenha View Post
BMW updated the design of the steering rack boots to *not* require removal of the tie rod end for installation of the boot. The old ones however are likely the older design and need to be cut. The new design consists of 2 pieces -- a rubber boot that is large enough to slip past the tie rod, and an end-piece that mates with the end of the boot.

The clamps can be a pain to get on in the back. I have an xi and the front subframe may have complicated things. I ended up using a zip tie in place of the rear clamps. Doesn't look like you have an xi, but the boots for xi's are slightly different and not interchangeable with non-xi's.
I see but seems something will have to be unbolted to slip over the boot. Do I unbolt the steering rack side and slide both of them over it?
Old 02-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #4
mack89

My Ride: '02 TIAG 330i 5spd
^yup, just remove front outer tie rod end, boots will come out. Just make sure you mark the tie rod with colored wire or tape.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
MrWesson

So do I remove at point 1,2, or 3 in this picture?

I would assume by jacking up the front you could remove nut on 2 just not sure there will be enough clearance for the boot.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
dimazz

My Ride: 330i
To get the boot off you have to separate the inner and outer tie rods. The inner is marked 1 in your photo, the outer is 3. They separate at point 2. You will need to mark the location of the outer relative to the inner or your alignment will be off...
dimazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:55 PM   #7
mcopenha

My Ride: '01 325xi, '73 2002
There's some confusion here: the OP is replacing his steering rack boots. That's it, nothing else, so there is no need to remove the tie rod ends as the other posts indicate.

The procedure is as follows:
1. use a pair of cutters to remove the old boot.
2. use a tie rod puller to separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle (#3 in your picture)
3. slip the new boot on. As I've indicated before, the new design looks nothing like the design in your photo. It has a different opening that allows the boot to slip over the tie rod. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...SUSstr_pg2.htm.
4. use the clamps to secure the new boot.

Last edited by mcopenha; 02-04-2011 at 02:56 PM.
mcopenha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Steering boot kit Part #: 32131096910

ECS has a good photos:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/32131096910/ES51879/

Old 03-16-2011, 05:51 AM   #9
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
There's some confusion here: the OP is replacing his steering rack boots. That's it, nothing else, so there is no need to remove the tie rod ends as the other posts indicate.

2. use a tie rod puller to separate the tie rod end from the steering knuckle (#3 in your picture)
3. slip the new boot on. As I've indicated before, the new design looks nothing like the design in your photo. It has a different opening that allows the boot to slip over the tie rod. See http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/cata...SUSstr_pg2.htm.
So, I'm getting very close to doing this, and am pleased to hear I just have to remove the tie rod end.

Question: anyone have a way to remove tie rod end without the tie rod puller?

Seems like a hammer would work. Also, do I need weight off wheels or can I just do this on ramps?

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
missamo80

My Ride: 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Question: anyone have a way to remove tie rod end without the tie rod puller?
Bang the out of it with a pickle fork and a sledge hammer.

Neil
missamo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #11
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
We have everything needed to complete this service available below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #12
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by missamo80 View Post
Bang the out of it with a pickle fork and a sledge hammer.

Neil
So not having done this before, I have to say I hate banging my car with a sledge hammer! Perhaps just some tapping down from the top of the balljoint...no? I don't have a pickle fork...do I really need one or would a prybar work okay?

Also, any difference whether I work on ramps, or is it much easier with wheel off?

Finally, I realized the kit I have comes with grease. I haven't been inside to know where this goes. Is it for where the boot meets the tie rod (under the clamps) or up around the seal...or both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSTuningJoe View Post
We have everything needed to complete this service available below...

Click HERE for more information.

Please let us know if you have any questions! Feel free to shoot me a PM or email.

Best,
Joe
Thanks, Joe. I've got the boot already, just need to know how to get it on. If you happen to know, would appreciate the help!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

Old 03-16-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
^Doug, I don't think anyone knows I'm still trying to figure it out.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=571036
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:09 AM   #14
Mango

My Ride: M54B30
I don't see it making a difference with car on ramps or not in terms of safety, but I think the job is much easier done with the wheels off. pickle fork is easiest way to pop the tierod out. you need a good sized hammer to do it without much fuss otherwise you'll be hammering away all dya. good luck

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM   #15
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by genuity View Post
^Doug, I don't think anyone knows I'm still trying to figure it out.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=571036
I suspect that the poster in that thread who mentioned that both the upper tie rod and the 'teeth' from the rack were greasy...might be right...and that the grease comes assuming that with the boot, will come a tie rod and that you'll figure it out!

Just doing the boot is probably uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Mango View Post
I don't see it making a difference with car on ramps or not in terms of safety, but I think the job is much easier done with the wheels off. pickle fork is easiest way to pop the tierod out. you need a good sized hammer to do it without much fuss otherwise you'll be hammering away all dya. good luck
Thanks, Mango! One of the posters in that other thread said that turning the wheel to the side you're working on makes it easier to see the part with the grease on it, so I think that to see that and probably put some grease on it, I'll jack it up.

Not sure when I'm getting to this, but it'll be pretty soon, and I'll report back!

Old 03-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #16
mmaldin

My Ride: '04 325xit '94 325i
Tapping down from the top of the ball joint will damage the threads and using a pickle will damage the rubber boot. A mechanic showed me a trick for doing this and I have used it many times. Remove the bolt and the hit the side of the joint moderately with with a 3 lb hammer. The joint will microscopically deflect and release the bolt. It works, try it.
mmaldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:46 PM   #17
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmaldin View Post
Tapping down from the top of the ball joint will damage the threads and using a pickle will damage the rubber boot. A mechanic showed me a trick for doing this and I have used it many times. Remove the bolt and the hit the side of the joint moderately with with a 3 lb hammer. The joint will microscopically deflect and release the bolt. It works, try it.
Nice! Thanks!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #18
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
I think 'dimazz' way is easier.
#3, is PIA to remove, isn't it?
Because I have to replace the boot this weekend and kind of searching now.

Has anyone done this job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimazz View Post
To get the boot off you have to separate the inner and outer tie rods. The inner is marked 1 in your photo, the outer is 3. They separate at point 2. You will need to mark the location of the outer relative to the inner or your alignment will be off...
Quote:

Old 12-06-2011, 07:42 AM   #19
MysticBlueM3

My Ride: 2005 M3, MT6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrientBlau View Post
Steering boot kit Part #: 32131096910

ECS has a good photos:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/32131096910/ES51879/

Any idea where to get the special crimper/pliers used to compress these types of special clamps? I once asked a tech at the dealer about it and he showed me what he used for them and said he got it from a Snap-On rep. There are similar clamps connecting the rigid coolant overflow hose on the reservoir end too, among other places. The tech said the usual screw-driven pipe clamps would work fine if I didn't have the pliers. I'd like to get the proper tool one day though.

Last edited by MysticBlueM3; 12-06-2011 at 07:43 AM.
MysticBlueM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:52 AM   #20
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Laser-CV-B...item3ca23421d2