E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #1
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
HID Fog Lights (M-tech/M3)

I had some free time today and decided to pull my cracked fog light off of the car to do some investigating. I'll be replacing the fog lights in the near future with either ebay yellow lens fog lights or those+retrofitting some Bosch Mini H3 projectors. In the mean time, I decided to see what the cutoff looked like for each fog light. Pictures:

OEM Fog light is manufactured by ZKW (possibly explains the cheap plastics they use on this thing?):

Comparing the OEM ZKW fog to the Bosch H3 fog:

The HID setup I'll be using consists of generic slim ballasts (it says 35W/50W so I'm not too sure the true output) and Philips 85122 bulbs with a ton of hours of use on them:

So here is the output of the OEM ZKW (M-tech/M3) fog light:

Not too impressive. There is a bit of light leak above the "cutoff" and they're not too wide. They are pretty evenly spread throughout the beam and very controlled, though, so that's good.

Now for the Bosch Mini H3:

Much better There is a pretty good hotspot and the edges are very well lit. You can also see that a good deal of the light is concentrated near the cutoff. This is especially important in fog lights because you need light to illuminate the road ahead of you, not in front of you.

Now I have noticed a few fanatics posting up about how their fog lights with an HID kit doesn't blind oncoming traffic. To this I call BS! Here is my result with using HIDs in an OEM fog light:

What a travesty. There is no control to the light pattern, but rather just a blob of light. Actually, this would work well for a driving light if you mounted these on top of your roof! But as fog lights, this would be absolutely trash. AND it would blind oncoming traffic, no matter how low you aimed them.

To show you how much better the projector performs, here it is with the same HID kit:

Obviously not the best results (hotspot, weird light pattern), but it's still a hell of a lot better than the OEM with HID kit simply because there is no glare.

My conclusion is that if you're one of those people with an HID kit in your fog lights, you are so dumb. For real. To those who would like to prove me wrong, post your pictures. Lets see those fog lights with HID kits.

P.S. To those who care, the light output shots were all processed using the same white balance setting at the same ISO, aperture and shutter speed.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Very nice. When I get my Mtech 2 front I'll probably get the projector fogs with a hid kit
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #3
SalM

My Ride: Shhh
Looks good

SalMPhotography
SalM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Projector fogs

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:32 AM   #5
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I'm going to attempt retrofitting an extra E46 projectors into a cracked m-tech fog housing I've got. If successful, I'll transplant it into a non-cracked housing, and then buy another E46 projector for the other side (or retrofit OEM FX projectors into my headlights, and use the left over E46 projectors for the fogs). HID fogs with actual HID projectors ftw!

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-03-2011 at 04:33 AM.
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #6
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Just shows you how stupid (and dangerous....not even mentioning illegal) is to put HID kit into fog lights "just for looks". Well, you shouldn't be using it in "normal" weather conditions, and is useless in bad weather conditions (that bright white scattered light will have zero effect in foggy weather). You'd be better driving with your parking lights only instead. lol THERE IS A REASON why OEM fogs are still halogen (i.e. "yellowish"). I say go for 3000K HID kit in case of fogs projector retrofit, or yellow halogen bulb in case you need usefull light in bad weather conditions, but won't go retrofit route.
daki_bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
Just shows you how stupid (and dangerous....not even mentioning illegal) is to put HID kit into fog lights "just for looks". Well, you shouldn't be using it in "normal" weather conditions, and is useless in bad weather conditions (that bright white scattered light will have zero effect in foggy weather). You'd be better driving with your parking lights only instead. lol THERE IS A REASON why OEM fogs are still halogen (i.e. "yellowish"). I say go for 3000K HID kit in case of fogs projector retrofit, or yellow halogen bulb in case you need usefull light in bad weather conditions, but won't go retrofit route.
I've got to disagree. My car current has HID fogs in the halogen housings (retrofitted by previous owner) and while they have quite a bit of glare, they put enough light in the proper areas to help with the fog.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
I just bought some 3000k bulbs for my 55w kit fogs. I'll take a shot tomorrow night of how 5000k looks vs 3000k
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM   #9
infinite012

Please do. I can't believe that putting an HID kit with the proper base would produce such horrid results.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 PM   #10
infinite012

Got the cracked fog light torn apart. It's pretty easy to crack open. The back reflector clips in and out of the plastic housing. Actually it may be fiberglass...

The lens came out after heating the housing in my oven at 200F for 5 minutes. A minute or two with a flathead screwdriver and it all fell apart.

I then tried to mount the Bosch projector into the housing, but the shape of it is so strange that I had to cut away most of the housing. I also had to come up with a mounting bracket so the projector wouldn't just slide out. To accomplish this I used two very small L brackets with a couple nuts and bolts holding it all together. All holes were cut with my new cordless Dremel (I love this thing. I can't believe I've been modding for so long without one).

I tried to ensure a proper rotational alignment, but I won't be sure of this until I test mount the fog light on the car. I also need a new lens, so perhaps I'll be ordering yellow fog lights off of ebay.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:11 AM   #11
TerraPhantm

I tried fitting an extra AL projector into my extra M-tech fog housing - no way it'll fit. I think the older 2.5" non bi-xenon might fit though...
Old 02-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #12
infinite012

If the diameter of the entire projector does not exceed 2.6 or 2.7" you should be able to fit it inside the housing. However, most projectors get pretty wide between the reflector and lens holder, so finding a suitable projector will be difficult.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:23 AM   #13
TerraPhantm

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
If the diameter of the entire projector does not exceed 2.6 or 2.7" you should be able to fit it inside the housing. However, most projectors get pretty wide between the reflector and lens holder, so finding a suitable projector will be difficult.
Hmm, maybe the blazer foglight projectors might work then (max dimension is about 2.5" for those). I was hoping I could go with a D2S projector though.

It might not be so bad to just leave the bowl outside the housing and have only the lens inside. Main issue would be sealing it from the elements. Wish I had access to a few small projectors to experiment with
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
infinite012

The RX330 AFS projector *almost* fits into the housing, but a majority of the bowl would stick out back.
Old 02-06-2011, 03:21 PM   #15
infinite012

Update for those who care:

Rotational alignment is spot on. The problem, though, is that the projector is aimed way too high. I'll have to take it apart and somehow aim the things.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:55 AM   #16
roni

My Ride: 320D 2003
what about morimoto mini or acura tsx - i have the same idea as u...
roni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM   #17
infinite012

I'm fairly certain the TSX would not fit. TSX have a very wide bowl, making it difficult to retrofit into normal headlights.

As for the Mori Mini, also not sure. I've never had them or seen them personally, but I guess if it's not wider than 2.6" at its widest part, then it would fit.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:48 AM   #18
roni

where have you bought this bosch minis' i want a pair of them too. i am planing just I am planing just to replace the reflectors of mz stock fogs with a custom made metal plate and to afix somehow the projectors to the plate. I thihk it will work!
Old 02-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #19
infinite012

I found them from a member at HIDPlanet.com. You might have some luck on ebay.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:13 AM   #20
roni

what about autoelektronik.net- or something like that was the address- there also have some minis. do you plan to put some glass on the housing? it seems that the previous one was broken? bmw seems not to sell it separately...