E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 04:43 PM   #1
Jamester

My Ride: 2003 325i
Question Aftermarket HU into HK sytem?? Please help??

Hi

I have a 2003 325i w/ HK and I want to replace the head unit only. Could someone please teel me what device I will need to connect an aftermarket HU with 4 channel RCAs at 4 Volts to the HK amp.

My research so far is that I need to utilize the follwong pins on the HK amp:

Front Right + = Pin 9 (Blue/Red)
Front Right - = Pin 17 (Brown/Orange)
Front Left + = Pin 38 (Yellow/Red)
Front Left - = Pin 30 (Brown/Orange)
Rear Right + = Pin 16 (Blue/Black)
Rear Right - =Pin 8 (Brown/Orange)
Rear Left + = Pin 37 (Yellow/Black)
Rear Left - = Pin 29 (Brown/Orange)
Switched +12V remote turn on = pin 10 (white)

Will the 4 Volts from my HU be enough or will I need to buy a "device" to increase the voltage. If so can someone recommend a good "device". Also should this "device" be installed at the HU end or in the trunk near the amp?

Thanks you very much

James
Jamester is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:41 PM   #2
johnhab

My Ride: '02 330xi
Send a message via AIM to johnhab Send a message via Yahoo to johnhab
Does the new headunit have an amp in it? Or do you plan to use the HK amp?

johnhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 09:43 PM   #3
Jamester

I plan on using the HK amp as my HU doesn't have an amp. My HU only allow 4 channel RCA out at 4v
Old 05-04-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
johnhab

Never mind, I see that you want to use the HK amp -- I was reading too fast. The pins you've listed are the amp OUTPUTS to the speakers, you need to hook up the AMP inputs, of which there are only 4, i.e., FL, FR, RL and RR.

You might want to search the old post to see if anyone has just changed their headunit. The problem that you're probably going to run into is that the HK amp is setup for a 6-12V input, and you're only going to be giving it 4V. Also, if it's expecting balanced differential inputs (like the stock unit), that's going to be an issue, although I think the Peripheral line output converters work in either direction, i.e., unbalanced to balanced.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:48 PM   #5
johnhab

Wrong again, I shouldn't be reading these things tired -- your wires are ok. Sorry. John.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:48 PM   #6
Jamester

thanks for replying.

Are you saying I should buy a VEN 4.5 from here http://peripheralelectronics.com/2002/loc.asp
Old 05-04-2003, 09:56 PM   #7
johnhab

You want the Ven4 if you want RCAs, the 4.5 if you want wire leads, but either will work.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:58 PM   #8
Jamester

thanks again, so the VEN 4 will have RCA on one side and rgular wires on the other end?

The RCAs will go into my HU and the bare wires will go into the HK amp.

So does this effective convert my 4V output from my HU to a higher voltage?
Old 05-04-2003, 10:03 PM   #9
johnhab

If your HU has only RCA outs, then you would use the 4 and use patchcords from the HU to the Ven4, then splice the wires to the factory harness.

Actually, no, the Ven4 or 4.5 will not convert it to the higher voltage, it will only convert it from unbalanced to balanced. You will actually need a line driver to get the 4V to whatever the stock voltage is 6-12V or so.

Gotta tell you, we're starting to get beyond my knowledge level here, so best if you also put this on Roadfly as well to see if someone has done just an HU swap.

Most on this board are going to tell you to get an aftermarket amp, but if you're going to do that, then you should get speakers, and there goes your budget...
Old 05-04-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
Jamester

thank you for all your help I will head over to roadfly
Old 05-06-2003, 01:16 PM   #11
starscream
Broke as hell

My Ride: '01 330xi
isnt there a problem with US headunits being 4Ohm and the HK speakers and amp being 3 Ohm? My friend has an old benz with 3 Ohm speakers and a US Pioneer Headunit....sounds like CRAP.

STARSCREAM

BEFORE ACCIDENT '01 330xi

AFTER ACCIDENT '07 Infiniti G35x

starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #12
johnhab

Good point, yes, the HK speakers are 3Ohm, so even if the headunit is powered, it's going to be taxed.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #13
Hota

My Ride: 2002 E46 M3
Why you'd keep the strongest link in the system and keep the other junk I don't know, but here's how to do it....

If you're going to be keeping the HK amps, then the speaker loads don't matter because the amps, not the HU, will be driving the 3 Ohm speakers.

You need the Peripheral Ven4 to convert your RCA signals from the new head unit to differential (balanced) signals, which the stock HK amp can use. The Ven4 can be used both ways.

My recommendation is to install the Ven4 near your new head unit to convert to differential signals as soon as possible. This is because noise that is introduced into the differential signals will be removed by the factory HK amp so you want your wires that are running down the length of the car to carry a differential signal.

At the bottom of this link, you'll find the full wiring diagram to the HK amp:

William's HK Stereo Upgrade

Good luck!

E46 M3 Ti Silver/Imola
Created 18 June 2002

Hota is offline   Reply With Quote