E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-27-2016, 06:44 PM   #1
Zoott

My Ride: E46xi
Vibration under driver feet

2003 automatic 325 xi sedan .
I have a vibration under driver side feet area. It only happens under acceleration as soon as I take my foot off the gas it's gone. Which leads me to think it's the shaft or tc. It also doesn't always do it.
I think it's either the front drive shaft or transfer case or axle.
I can't find a DIY for the front drive shaft.
I'm looking for logical way of trouble shooting this . I don't want to replace the shaft and axle just to find I'm wrong and it's the transfer case.
All input welcome.
I tried to search for a front drive shaft DIY before posting,
Thx
Zoott is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #2
Zoott

Tons of axle DIY and rear driveshaft. Can't find a front.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
Front CV joints / Axle is the most likely culprit.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #4
lingon300k

My Ride: 2005 325xi Automatic
I would get under the car and check the front axle boots, the driveshaft connections (grab and shake as hard as you can to see if it moves), and the wheel balance.

The first two suggestions are pretty easy as all you need to do is jack the car up and get under it, but I would guess that the wheel is most likely out of balance--wheel weight fell off, bent rim, etc--which you would unfortunately need to have checked at a tire shop.

I'm only saying I think it's a wheel due to the fact that it doesn't always do it--could be speed dependant--and you didn't mention how harsh it is. If it truly always stops the second you stop accelerating, it could be the axle or driveshaft.

The front axles on this car tend to be crap, and I found the advice here to always buy GKN/Loebro to be correct. Had to replace both front axles from an off-brand remanufactured part. (I don't know the brand, it was a warranty thing and I didn't buy them.) It also seems that the axles can bad even if the boots are intact.

Good luck.

Also, what's the mileage?

Last edited by lingon300k; 03-27-2016 at 08:13 PM.
lingon300k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
Zoott

So far what I found was I need both cv axles and a rear transfer case/transmission mount.
I'm going to look online for the best cv axles but suggestions are always welcome and thx!
I haven't got into it yet but I would guess the guibo and center shaft support are junk too .

Last edited by Zoott; 03-28-2016 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:39 AM   #6
lingon300k

You verified this yourself, or a mechanic told you?

The ONLY front axle to buy is the GKN/Loebro axle. The rest really are garbage, and the BMW axle, as far as I know, is exactly the same axle as the GKN but with different markings. You'll find that most people came to the same conclusion if you search here and the other BMW forums. FCP gives you a lifetime warranty, and will price match any other site. Shipping to you should be 1 day at most in New Hampshire.

The transfer case mount probably wouldn't cause the vibration you're talking about, unless it's totally destroyed.

You still didn't mention the mileage.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
Zoott

106,000 miles . Mechanic put it on a lift and we checked it out .
Lots of slop in both axles and transmission mount visibly damaged when pushing transfer case .
I may have to go with USA reman axles until I can afford better ones .
Old 03-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #8
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoott View Post
106,000 miles . Mechanic put it on a lift and we checked it out .
Lots of slop in both axles and transmission mount visibly damaged when pushing transfer case .
I may have to go with USA reman axles until I can afford better ones .
What's the point of this thread then? Replace the worn components before they cause other problems.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #9
Zoott

I wasnt sure what was worn until today .
Old 03-28-2016, 03:44 PM   #10
lingon300k

I would focus on getting the proper axles and do the transfer case mount at a later time if you can't afford them all right now. If your engine mounts are original, wait a few months and do the engine and transfer case mounts at the same time. You will be prematurely replacing those cheap axles if you get them. The ones I had were leaking grease out of the edges of the boots within 1 week, and vibrating as soon as they were on the car.

If you do insist on getting the cheaper axles, but them from FCP so you can return them when they go bad.

Last edited by lingon300k; 03-28-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #11
Zoott

I ordered the cheap ones from fcpeuro . If they go bad maybe they will return them towards the good ones.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #12
lingon300k

Quote:
I ordered the cheap ones from fcpeuro . If they go bad maybe they will return them towards the good ones.
When--unfortunately, this isn't an "if"--they go bad, all you'll have to do is order the GKN axles, ship the old ones back once the GKNs are on the car, and they'll refund the old ones. They're genuinely the best company I've ever purchased anything from.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #13
Zoott

I called fcpeuro and was able to switch my order for the GKN's. Put them on and changed the transmission mount . Almost all my vibration is gone ! When I get some more cash I'm going I change the guibo.
From my Experoence FCPEuro was great. I will order from there again.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:55 PM   #14
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
I called fcpeuro and was able to switch my order for the GKN's. Put them on and changed the transmission mount . Almost all my vibration is gone ! When I get some more cash I'm going I change the guibo.
From my Experoence FCPEuro was great. I will order from there again.
Good work. Don't change the guibo unless it looks bad from visual inspection.

Make sure you change/top off the diff fluid after the axle job.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote