E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2011, 04:35 PM   #1
SE-Naz

My Ride: 316i 1.9 Petrol
E46 316i 1.9 Juddering Issue

Hello people...

BMW 316i 1.9 Petrol 55K 2002 model

I have had a few issues for 4 weeks now... Advice would be so good...

I have the ECU light come up at the start and got:

Error 171 unknown error - Possibly full pump... but car was starting fine... so got it reset and 1 week later it went and had to replace.

1 week later ECU came on again and computer says error P0170... Air Mass Sensor and full regulator value... Also my radiator and expansion tank needing replacing... All this got done few hours later ECU light came back on and on 1st gear at high revs the car would judder badly... 2nd upwards no issue...

Got computer plugged in again and it said Oxygen/Lambada sensor front and rear got those replaced and also got full filter replaced... ECU light has gone and I am still getting juddering in 1st gear with high revs...

I took it for a spin after leaving the car cold for a bit... still happens... and noticed that when breaking the car shut down and I had to start it again (without any issues) this happened twice in the space of 10 minutes. In that 10 minutes i had on the dash saying 49miles and i did 4 miles and it went down to 30miles... It dropped so quick...

I am trying to give as much information as I can. Hopefully I can get some help on this as it has cost me quite a bit of money now...

Thanks in advance
SE-Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
sounds maybe like a vaccum leak. Especially if your having problems under max acceleration and braking. Have someone do a smoke test or spray water and see if you can tell.

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
SE-Naz

Thanks for the reply... I don't seem to be having any issues when breaking (unless you mean the car switching off, it happened 2 times but i broke many more) apart from something weird i noticed... the mpg rev goes down then up while i break... don't remember that unless I start to accelerate.

Hope this additional info helps... But will check what you have suggested
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
jgold47

My Ride: 2004 X5 3.0
I dont know a ton about this issue, so that was mostly a general statement based on what you described. The MPG gauge works off of manifold pressure, so if there is a leak, that can cause the guage to act up.

good luck

my about me link
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=791566

jgold47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
SE-Naz

Thanks for the advice... I appreciate it
Old 02-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #6
SE-Naz

Anyone else have any other information...?

Tags
air, ecu, fuel, revs, sensor