E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 AM   #1
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Oil Separator Leak? DYI?

Hello,

I've been losing alot of oil rather excessively lately (Roughly 1 qt every month/900 miles) I've been trying to track the oil loss, its not going on the ground or anywhere under the car. My VCG is new and its very clean all around it and my oil housing gasket is new. Which leave me to think i might have a leak somewhere in the oil separator system. It's not making any noise and it seems to be working properly(oil cap seals with the right amount of vacuum). But i would like to visually inspect the hoses for leaks. I dont exactly know the route the hoses make, so would it be best to see them from under the car or from above with the airbox/ps resivor/alternator removed? Also, i did a search and couldnt find a very good dyi for the oil separator dyi... Is there a will written floating around somewhere?

Thanks guys!

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:40 AM   #2
Au2bahn

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP,09 HCHII
Its definitely DIY. You have to remove the intake manifold. Just label all the harnesses and hoses. There are 9 bolts on top and 1 bolt at the bottom holding the intake manifold itself.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

ESS TS2 - VMR V710 19" wheels - KW Coilovers - 3.46 Diff - Macht Schnell 5mm Rear Spacers - BMW Performance BBK w/ floating rotors -
BMW Performance Strut Brace - BMW Performance Air Intake - BMW Performance SSK/DSSR - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - SS Brake Lines -
OEM M3 RTAB w/ Vorshlag Limiters - Meyle HD FCAB - TMS Sway Bars w/ adjustable links - AEM Digital Boost Gauge -
Stewart w/p - 6K HID Fogs - Swain Coated Magnaflow headers
Au2bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Although some remove intake mani, you don't need to...I didn't.

I can see how it makes it easier when doing the cold-weather kit, but I just removed some of the foam as many do and got the ccv in.

Remove the airbox and look to see if you're collecting oil in the waffle area. If you are, clean it up and inspect again in a little bit...it might be left over from ofh gasket leak you had.

Anyway, eliminate all possible sources you can...obviously, before concluding either head gasket (check your oil/coolant) or rings.

GL...hope this helps.

BTW, what oil you using? Some seem to have greatly minimized oil loss just by using the right oil...haven't experienced this myself, so just reporting what I've picked up here (a horribly unreliable source of info...as well as an incredibly reliable source of info too!).

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
beef1020

My Ride: 00 323i
You do not need to take off the intake manifold, it can be done with it on. Search in the DIY section for ccv, it's the first thread that comes up:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=ccv

It really does not get much better...
beef1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #5
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
If you searched you failed. There are at least 5 extremely detailed DIY's

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:54 AM   #6
NicB.

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
CCV is the hardest DIY I've ever done, and I've done a lot. Major PIA if you don't take off the intake manifold.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:18 PM   #7
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
Although some remove intake mani, you don't need to...I didn't.

I can see how it makes it easier when doing the cold-weather kit, but I just removed some of the foam as many do and got the ccv in.

Remove the airbox and look to see if you're collecting oil in the waffle area. If you are, clean it up and inspect again in a little bit...it might be left over from ofh gasket leak you had.

Anyway, eliminate all possible sources you can...obviously, before concluding either head gasket (check your oil/coolant) or rings.

GL...hope this helps.

BTW, what oil you using? Some seem to have greatly minimized oil loss just by using the right oil...haven't experienced this myself, so just reporting what I've picked up here (a horribly unreliable source of info...as well as an incredibly reliable source of info too!).

Doug
Thanks Doug! My BMW master tech also insists you do not need to remove the intake manifold. If he can remove that hose with his big hands and thick arms, i should have no problem. I want to visually inspect the hoses before i buy the parts because like I said... Im not showing any signs of separator failure other than oil loss, which doesnt necessarily mean it's coming for the separator system. I am running BMW 5w-30 and I am roughly losing 1 quart every month/800-1000 miles. Something is most defiantly wrong! lol

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #8
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuckuss00 View Post
Thanks Doug! My BMW master tech also insists you do not need to remove the intake manifold. If he can remove that hose with his big hands and thick arms, i should have no problem. I want to visually inspect the hoses before i buy the parts because like I said... Im not showing any signs of separator failure other than oil loss, which doesnt necessarily mean it's coming for the separator system. I am running BMW 5w-30 and I am roughly losing 1 quart every month/800-1000 miles. Something is most defiantly wrong! lol
He's right. That said, I know many with cold weather ccv have removed mani...I just removed some foam and didn't remove the mani. I did, however, remove the intake runner to make it a little easier and replaced the 6 o-rings while there.

I know many had an issue doing this, and from reading all the diys beforehand, I wasn't expecting it to be so simple...but it wasn't so bad. Just that one hose on top...getting it in and connected.

And, don't forget, you learn how to reassemble by taking apart! Clean the guide tube really well...or pay a bunch more for a new one.

So, you doing this yourself, or letting fat fingered mechanic do it? Mine has fat fingers too...that's not an issue...it's when their heads are fat you want to keep away is all!

If you do it and run into problems, just PM me and I'll send you Jake's phone number!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote