E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #61
RoadRace330

My Ride: 2010 Jetta Tdi
It was also reinforced on the PTG M3's, I remember that. I think I'll go with a blade adjustment. Can you tell me the tube size?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #62
RoadRace330

Another work day on the car.

Received all the parts to reassemble the rear suspension, except a retaining clip for a wheel bearing that was missing from the box package. I broke the one that was on the trailing arm, so I couldn't reuse it (damn that ***** was stuck in the rust.)

Installed the trailing arm M3 outer bearings. The lower one was a PITA, mainly because it couldn't be pressed in as the trailing arm wouldn't fit on the press.

Also installed the upper control arm inner bearing from GC. It's nice but could be a little tighter in it's hole.

I was able to complete the whole right side. The reversed Moton fits perfectly.
Calipers will be resealed and rebuilt shortly.

You will notice the upper CA has been painted, It looked like crap after getting sandblasted. Anyways, I'm trying to get the Woodward upper link if I can find some already made for the E46.

The car owner decided to do his own oil cooler bracket. It think it's a little too beefed up, but don't worry, it's Aluminum.

Some parts came in last week.
The Tilton floor pedal box with all the necessary hardware.
I will wait to install this a little later in the season, because it will be done along with the driver position being moved further back. A longer Woodward steering column, longer shift rod and AGK shifter will be used.

The wonderful Bimmerworld exhaust system. Cant wait to match this with the SS headers.(Hope it will fit). The construction is awesome, and it's very light.

I think I never posted pictures of the car as it is right now. The new colors will be pretty different from this.

My work partner Daniel cleaning up my tool mess.

The team owner just bought this Featherlight trailer to haul the racing rig. Slightly used, it's almost like new. We can fit 3 cars in there, but only the Bimmer and his Merc 500SL will go in there.

He also got this 1998 Volvo VN770 for really cheap to haul the trailer.
Cheap means, he has to redo all the air hoses, brakes, bearings, bushings.

New turbo as well, funny thing is that this is a Detroit Diesel 430/470, but they painted it with the Cummins colours.

He also shortened the frame and removed an axle(the trailer rig is so light, double axles are not necessary). Switched to a single big tire setup also.

They painted the frame also. The cab will be painted black too.

This will be the last update for the next 5-6 weeks. I just bought a house and it will be a major home improvement project,
I will still order parts though:
- Bimmerworld spherical front control arms
- GC Adjustable Bump Tie Rods(Spares)
- BMW Motorsport Front Sway Bar Kit for E46
- AKG STAGE II Motorsport Quick Shifter
- UUC DSSR for E46 M3

See ya in 5 weeks (I may be a little tired then)

Last edited by RoadRace330; 03-20-2011 at 09:05 AM.
RoadRace330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #63
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
You're probably aware of this, but if you do go with a tubular upper rear control arm you'll have to notch the chassis.

PS-I'm jealous of that trailer.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 05:46 PM   #64
FTWeisse

My Ride: has no hip-hop rimz
Love your new Featherlight - I'd love love love love love to have something like that. Sweet pickup!
Old 03-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #65
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Looking good!

Will the Bimmerworld M3 race exhaust fit the M54? I guess you're probably not running remotely stock headers.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 03:57 PM   #66
RoadRace330

We'll see. It shouldn't be too far. Supersprint E36 Euro Headers. No engine in the car to test fit.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:26 PM   #67
murph1379

My Ride: 2003 330i ZHP
Well let us know how it goes. I'm sure nobody is ever going to mass-produce an exhaust that perfect for the M54, but if it's easy to have a muffler shop adapt it, that's a nice option to have.
murph1379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #68
dimazz

My Ride: 330i
You are not worried about the loads in the bolt holding the strut to the rear knuckle? That bolt location is in single shear and was only designed for a damper load, not the full weight of the car.
dimazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #69
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimazz View Post
You are not worried about the loads in the bolt holding the strut to the rear knuckle? That bolt location is in single shear and was only designed for a damper load, not the full weight of the car.
This is done rather commonly and it works, although I have heard of the occasional bolt bending, but mainly on e30's.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:38 PM   #70
dimazz

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaio76109 View Post
This is done rather commonly and it works, although I have heard of the occasional bolt bending, but mainly on e30's.
Understand. You might want to put the bolt in double shear by building a bracket that interfaces the outside of your bolt to the threaded feature just below your bolt. That will distribute the load through both of those threaded features, not just the top one. Good luck, build looks great.
dimazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:27 AM   #71
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Nice trailer!
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 05:49 AM   #72
RoadRace330

After 7 weeks off, I'm Back!

Pics of all the work that was done while I wasn't there. New engine back in the car. New much bigger radiator.

The Bimmerworld race exhaust system had to be fitted to the SS header, but it fits. To bad to job was poorly done with regular steel pipe. He didn't have any stainless steel around.

AKG Solid race shifter along with the DSSR shift rod. The shift feel is incredible.

The BMW Motorsports front sway bar and Bimmerworld race control arms. Also new spherical tie-rods, old ones are now spares.

The car will leave this week for chagautosport.com for the Vipec V88 install and dyno tuning. More to come.

Last edited by RoadRace330; 05-08-2011 at 05:54 AM.
RoadRace330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #73
MasterC17

My Ride: hates A/C & Sunroofs
Very cool build, nice job that radiator is huge!
MasterC17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #74
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Sub'd!

Nice build!

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 AM   #75
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimazz View Post
Understand. You might want to put the bolt in double shear by building a bracket that interfaces the outside of your bolt to the threaded feature just below your bolt. That will distribute the load through both of those threaded features, not just the top one. Good luck, build looks great.
For me, I just made shorter inserts for the shock and used a shorter bolt. Knock on wood, I have never had the bolt fail and I have been running coil overs for many years. I even use anti sieze on it as I change springs all of the time and just don't want any problems.

For some reason, Moton makes these real long inserts that utilize the stock shock bolt. That's a Koni on my car but it is a direct replacement for a Moton (when it comes to fitment).

Here's what I got:
Old 05-10-2011, 06:11 AM   #76
RoadRace330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
For some reason, Moton makes these real long inserts that utilize the stock shock bolt. That's a Koni on my car but it is a direct replacement for a Moton (when it comes to fitment).
Probably because the rebound adjustment is there. I never saw this bolt fail ever on any BMW.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #77
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
My old motons had the rebound there (which was the same shock) but the Koni has rebound and compression in that spot. A stock 5 speed flywheel bolt ends up coming out to the perfect length.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #78
///Mspired

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
For me, I just made shorter inserts for the shock and used a shorter bolt. Knock on wood, I have never had the bolt fail and I have been running coil overs for many years. I even use anti sieze on it as I change springs all of the time and just don't want any problems.

Here's what I got:
what are the benefits of a true coilover system in the rear?
///Mspired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #79
RoadRace330

Its really quick to change the spring as the lower perch is slotted. Remove the strut bolt, lift and slide the perch, replace spring, et voila!
Also more height adjustment is available this way.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:22 PM   #80
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRace330 View Post
Its really quick to change the spring as the lower perch is slotted. Remove the strut bolt, lift and slide the perch, replace spring, et voila!
Also more height adjustment is available this way.
Would you personally recommend true coils on a street car that only got on the track a few times a year?

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m54, racing, vac