E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 02:58 PM   #1
brianabbott

My Ride: BMW 328i SE
Send a message via AIM to brianabbott Send a message via Yahoo to brianabbott Send a message via Skype™ to brianabbott
Headlight Problem/Fuse

I got a warning light on my dash showing that the driver side headlight was out (mine's right hand drive).

I went ahead and changed the bulb using the correct spec, i.e. H7 55w.

However, the dash warning light was still on and the headlight didn't go on.

I checked the fuse box (I assume that fuse number 32 (5 amps) would relate to the headlight). I checked fuse number 32, but it was okay. The wires to the headlight seem fine. Both filaments on each bulb appear to be intact. Any ideas anyone?

I also noticed while I was in the fuse box that fuse number 26 was missing. My chart states that number 26 is: Over Heat JP. What's that?

My car's a 328i saloon (sedan) 1999.

Any help appreciated.

Brian

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-09-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
colo330xi

My Ride: 01 330xi
Looks like fuses #9 and #32 go to the light control module (the control module is right behind/integrated into the headlight switch) I don't see a fuse or relay for the headlights, it is probably done in the LCM.

I'd check the plug for voltage when you turn on the lights, you may have a bad earth (ground) Try checking the earth (should be a brown wire), and making sure it has little/no resistance to the car's body, engine lift hook etc...

Best case my guess would be a broken wire or bad connection, worst case would be a problem with the LCM. Try the tests for voltage first.
colo330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
G-Hots

My Ride: ///M3 & 328ci & X3
Send a message via AIM to G-Hots Send a message via MSN to G-Hots
maybe your LCM is going bad? What i would do is take a test light and check all the wires going into the headlight to see if the headlight is actually getting power to it...

is this the low beam bulb or high beam?
G-Hots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
brianabbott

Send a message via AIM to brianabbott Send a message via Yahoo to brianabbott Send a message via Skype™ to brianabbott
Thanks guys.

G-Hots, it's the dipped beam bulb.

I just noticed that #9 fuse also applies to the brake light, but my brake light is working.

Last edited by brianabbott; 02-09-2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: misspelling
brianabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
dan288

My Ride: 330d sport
mine has done the same but on the passenger side and the indicator light is staying on. But is fine on full beam. Have your connectors got wet. Mine did while i was changing the power steering hose it was raining slightly. Might have to get a autoelectrician round.
dan288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
BavLar

My Ride: 330Cic 5spd & 330i
To eliminate simple things, have you pulled the LCM out and put back in? This essentially resets the module. Many lighting issued have been resolved with this basic step.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
brianabbott

Thanks for the tips.

BavLar, I haven't tried that. I'll give it a go.

Regards,

Brian

Last edited by brianabbott; 02-19-2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: misspelling
brianabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
brianabbott

I've always wanted to use this icon: I think it's great.

Well, this is just the right time to use it. I discovered that when I changed my bulb, I changed the high beam bulb when in fact it was the dipped beam bulb that had blown. That's why the dash warning light was still on.

Maybe I shouldn't have admitted to that.

Sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks for all your replies.

Brian
Old 02-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #9
Tymm

My Ride: 320ci E46, 325i E92,
check your side light bulb mine blow the other day and when I had side lights on on the side that had blown the indicator came on instead itīs a secret safety feature so you donīt go round driving with 1 light and look like a motorbike anyhow as soon as I changed the side light bulb the indicator stopped the in-car display stopped showing a lamp out

HTH

2000 BMW 320ci 2.2ltr
Tymm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
sweetbro858

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianabbott View Post
I've always wanted to use this icon: I think it's great.

Well, this is just the right time to use it. I discovered that when I changed my bulb, I changed the high beam bulb when in fact it was the dipped beam bulb that had blown. That's why the dash warning light was still on.

Maybe I shouldn't have admitted to that.

Sorry to have wasted your time. Thanks for all your replies.

Brian
Holy shhhh...

Oh boy I messed up, so glad you made that comment.

I noticed my dash indicator this morning, so I picked up some bulbs on the way home from the gym. Quickly swapped both out.... no dice.

I was thinking fuse or bad ground... low and behold I see your comment here... and I thank you.

Put the lights in the correct spot and BOOM.. they work.

Tags
328i, bulb, fuse 32, headlight