E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
syl3ntforce

My Ride: E46 M3
Send a message via AIM to syl3ntforce
IT techs/engineers please enter advice on career choice

Hey guys i need some advice on my career im choosing so to all you experts and what not please chime-in

So currently im taking my class for computer networking

I am 19 and currently go to Porter And Chester in stratford ct and will be getting my A+ Network+ and MCP certificates but i would like to know, How is in the field? how many of you like what your doing and how competitive it is? and does this career pay good? im hoping to find a job for it within my 2nd semester but do not know if it will b that easy, obviously im going to be working for more certificate depending on the job though

note i have not been to a real college yet just got my diploma and chose this technical school to start my career. Should i go to college also after and get my associates and bachelors?

thanks in advance just needed some input as to what im getting into and how it is.

318i>328i>328i>EK Civic SI>328ci>328xi>E46 M3

syl3ntforce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:25 PM   #2
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to JonJon
There are plenty of jobs out there, but your best bet is finding contract work.
You might only be working for 1 day or 1 month, but you'll majorly diversify your experience with different jobs. Take anything and everything you can. Contract pay is usually good, but the experience is priceless.

Don't listen to anyone that screams it's college or bust. I followed my own path and attended/completed two technical schools before getting my degree. Work hard, become and expert on at least two concentrations of "IT" and a couple other areas become very well versed.

There are many areas of IT to go into, find what you like and enjoy and become the best at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 02-09-2011 at 10:27 PM.
JonJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
There are plenty of jobs out there, but your best bet is finding contract work.
You might only be working for 1 day or 1 month, but you'll majorly diversify your experience with different jobs. Take anything and everything you can. Contract pay is usually good, but the experience is priceless.

Don't listen to anyone that screams it's college or bust. I followed my own path and attended/completed two technical schools before getting my degree. Work hard, become and expert on at least two concentrations of "IT" and a couple other areas become very well versed.

There are many areas of IT to go into, find what you like and enjoy and become the best at it.
you see people were telling me its not worth it unless you go to college i was seriously about to not go to porter and chester but then decided hell im going to need to anyways i need to find what im best at, i have another school i will be attending after this one possibly for cisco cert and some other certs

Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #4
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by syl3ntforce View Post
you see people were telling me its not worth it unless you go to college i was seriously about to not go to porter and chester but then decided hell im going to need to anyways i need to find what im best at, i have another school i will be attending after this one possibly for cisco cert and some other certs
Just make sure that any school you attend is fully accredited so that you can transfer all your credits to college.
http://www.porterchester.com/about-us/accreditation

http://www.accsc.org/Content/Student...licyAgenda.asp

Or at least ensure your tech school provides a path for certification completion. There are a lot of tech schools out there that are paper mills and scams. Don't end up wasting a year or two of your life, rack up 20K in debt on a "tech school" that is a scam.

Have a plan. Don't get me wrong, college is very important, but you certainly don't have to go there immediately. There are also plenty of software guys and such that never saw the inside of a classroom but are experts in their fields.

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.

Last edited by JonJon; 02-09-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #5
Jimmeh

My Ride: 335i
I have busted my ass through 5 years of college and worked about 4 IT jobs since and I know people with no official IT degree that's making almost twice as much as me.

Get as much experience as you can even if the pay is ****. Sooner or later something good will come up. Also networking with other people in the field was pretty important for me. It has helped me find most of these jobs that I worked for.
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:08 PM   #6
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Just make sure that any school you attend is fully accredited so that you can transfer all your credits to college. Or at least ensure your tech school provides a path for certification completion. There are a lot of tech schools out there that are paper mills and scams. Don't end up wasting a year or two of your life, rack up 20K in debt on a "tech school" that is a scam.

Have a plan.
Porter and Chester Institute is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) got that from there site but i will look into more my plan is a little off-balance right now but im trying to figure out what exactly to do after and obviously paying off my loan for 24k

Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 PM   #7
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
I got a communication degree... and am in IT.
You can either do it, or you can't.
I have seen people with IT degrees that run to the book whenever there is a problem. I just figure out how to finesse the computers into doing what I want them to do.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #8
JonJon
Tinfoilhatatarian

Quote:
Porter and Chester Institute is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC) got that from there site but i will look into more my plan is a little off-balance right now but im trying to figure out what exactly to do after and obviously paying off my loan for 24k
That's a lot of cash. Make sure (and get in WRITING) that your credits WILL transfer.

You could also go to a community college and get your AS degree for 1/2 or even a 1/3 of that price

Quote:
I agree with JonJon.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #9
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmeh View Post
I have busted my ass through 5 years of college and worked about 4 IT jobs since and I know people with no official IT degree that's making almost twice as much as me.

Get as much experience as you can even if the pay is ****. Sooner or later something good will come up. Also networking with other people in the field was pretty important for me. It has helped me find most of these jobs that I worked for.
im willing to do whatever computer work someone throws at me whether it be installign a software to removing a hard drive to installing windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
I got a communication degree... and am in IT.
You can either do it, or you can't.
I have seen people with IT degrees that run to the book whenever there is a problem. I just figure out how to finesse the computers into doing what I want them to do.
i use to do this whenever i had problem i went through the book but after awhile mos of it became commen sense and i just work my way through it

Quote:
That's a lot of cash. Make sure (and get in WRITING) that your credits WILL transfer.

You could also go to a community college and get your AS degree for 1/2 or even a 1/3 of that price
exactly when they told me the price i was shocked i could have went to NCC norwalk community college and got my AS but then i would spend 2yrs there paying nothing near how much im paying now i mean im already in the school so after the first week they already start charging me a certain percent and it adds up till the end maybe i should go to NCC after im done with PCI i will need to talk to my counselor to get that writing though i dont want to have to start all over again when i finish

Old 02-10-2011, 04:32 AM   #10
PsychoCemia

My Ride: '05 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
im willing to do whatever computer work someone throws at me whether it be installign a software to removing a hard drive to installing windows
That's middle school stuff.

If you're looking at IT, then that's fine. It's all about Cisco certifications, inter/intra-office networks, VOIP connections, etc. Engineering is a completely different track. You needa college degree for engineering positions - think Computer Engineer, Electrical Engineer, Software Engineer, even Mechanical Engineer. This is not "IT" work at all. It's design and implementation, and you won't get it from a tech school. And if you decide that engineering is your game, you absolutely haveto get work experience while you're in school (either as an independent intern, or through your school's co-op program).

Quote:
exactly when they told me the price i was shocked i could have went to NCC norwalk community college and got my AS but then i would spend 2yrs there paying nothing near how much im paying now i mean im already in the school so after the first week they already start charging me a certain percent and it adds up till the end maybe i should go to NCC after im done with PCI i will need to talk to my counselor to get that writing though i dont want to have to start all over again when i finish
One way to stand out in the IT crowd is communications skills, man. Work on those.

Last edited by PsychoCemia; 02-10-2011 at 04:34 AM.
PsychoCemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #11
huyner328
Bradolf Pittler

My Ride: E90 ///M3, E30 325ic
Send a message via AIM to huyner328
You can bill the gov't more, in theory, if you have a degree

Cyber security and VM are the big things right now. Get familiar fast.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Bimmer App
huyner328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Kr0ss

My Ride: 03 m3
Here was my path ( and i know its different for everyone but it worked for me).

1. Start school (community college) and get CompTIA certs.
2. After A+, get a HelpDesk job (~$20 /hr. depending on location [MD pays well])
3. After Network+, jump into an industry specific cert path (for me, it was Microsoft)
4. Finish a benchmark Microsoft cert and either move up or move along. (more $$$ )
5. Complete AA degree, select a specialization for certification (i.e. networking, security, etc)
6. Get a job that'll pay for you to complete your 4yr degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoCemia View Post
That's middle school stuff.

One way to stand out in the IT crowd is communications skills, man. Work on those.
This can't be stressed enough. There's tons of people in IT with excellent technical ability and 0 personal skills. I can tell you from personal experience that interpersonal communication skill will move you up the ladder faster than %90 of technical knowhow.
Kr0ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
yousharenow

My Ride: E46 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to yousharenow
Quote:
Thats pure BS.

I'm a Sr. Network Engineer..I got my cisco certs and self studied through my CCIP. I am STILL in college for my BSEE and I make great pay.

I LOVE networking, especially wireless. If it something you enjoy, do it!

Best thing you can do is get Network+ /CCENT certs and get a job at like an ISP being a technician. Do that for about a year or two then move your way up. Eventually if Networking is your niche like it was for me, advancement is no issue.
yousharenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #14
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
If you're interested in doing IT or SE, then a college degree really isn't needed. College is useful if you plan to write code or developing products, but IT is more hands-on problem solving through experience.

I think the market is pretty good out there, lost of opportunities. Try to get as many intership/contract work as you can. Those are more valuable than the classes you go to.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #15
syl3ntforce

ok so now im second guessing network engineering because i would need college for that but i mean what interest me most is building computers and hooking up a network such as P2P and such also working with creating cables and such A+ helps me out with the computer building and Network+ helps me to work with setting up connections and such does anyone else see what else i can do with my interests?one thing that gets me is the reading for school i used to never read but now im actually stepping up my game for this

o and i can get in working at the government center of stamford setting up networks and such throughout the building

Last edited by syl3ntforce; 02-10-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
Amoeba

My Ride: his: zhp hers: 325ci
Send a message via Yahoo to Amoeba
I would recommend college for you. They teach punctuation.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:32 PM   #17
syl3ntforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoeba View Post
I would recommend college for you. They teach punctuation.
im tired studying right now 2 test tomorrow for network+ and homework, so im sorry if my punctuation and gramme ris off right now.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
Jimmeh

My Ride: 335i
Quote:
ok so now im second guessing network engineering because i would need college for that but i mean what interest me most is building computers and hooking up a network such as P2P and such also working with creating cables and such A+ helps me out with the computer building and Network+ helps me to work with setting up connections and such does anyone else see what else i can do with my interests?one thing that gets me is the reading for school i used to never read but now im actually stepping up my game for this

o and i can get in working at the government center of stamford setting up networks and such throughout the building
I did my CCENT first then took Net +....Net + is a joke compared to CCENT, I knew basically everything from the CCENT and then some.

I would go CCENT/CCNA then A+ or vice versa. Since COMPTIA A+, Net+, Security+ aren't lifetime exams anymore starting 2011 I wouldn't even bother with Net+ since you get soooooo much more out of the basic Cisco networking course.
Jimmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
im tired studying right now 2 test tomorrow for network+ and homework, so im sorry if my punctuation and gramme ris off right now.
Excuses are for noobs.