E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
Finally going to buy a gun belt, but I need suggestions.

I think I'm going to go with a nylon belt which is metal detector friendly, stiff (duh), and has little to no Velcro. Bonus points if it's more wallet-friendly.

After some relatively brief searching, I’ve found three belts that catch my interest.
  • Wilderness Frequent Flyer. I know Wilderness gets all kinds of rave reviews, but I don't really want that much Velcro. It just seems excessive. I know it helps keep the belt in place, but c'mon... you can’t really feed the excess strap through your first belt loop, resulting in the belt covering up said loop. It just looks goofy, in my opinion. Also, the rings aren't my favorite buckle design. I’m not eliminating this one, but it’s definitely not at the top of my list.
  • 5.11 Tactical Double Duty TDU. It looks like it's double-layered and the description says it has 5-row stitching, which I assume is like the Wilderness belts. However, it has no Velcro, which means it has the potential to need regular readjustment. I figure I could have a small Velcro patch stitched onto the belt later on (obviously making sure it lines up before having it done). The mixed reviews on its stiffness have me undecided. I’m sure it’s leagues better than my Walmart leather belt, though.
  • Spec-Ops Better BDU. The price is definitely budget-friendly. I’ve read several reviews that this is a great belt for CCW, but it seems like it would be far more flimsy than the 5.11 and Wilderness, seeing that it doesn’t appear to have any supportive stitching and only seems to be a single-layer belt. I’m not sure exactly how it can be stiff if it’s just a strap of nylon webbing. Adding a Velcro patch will also be a consideration if I opt for this belt.

Are there any other quality CCW-worthy belts out there that match the criteria I’m looking for?

EDIT: On the Wilderness Frequent Flier, it looks like you CAN slip the end of the belt through the first loop.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 01-25-2017 at 06:15 PM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Ares Enhanced Aegis

Thing is unbelievably stiff and durable

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Follow me on Instagram: yippee_ki_dave

Last edited by david05111; 01-25-2017 at 01:40 PM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Ares Enhanced Aegis

That thing is unbelievably not wallet-friendly. Nor is it metal detector-friendly. I appreciate the suggestion, though.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:33 PM   #4
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
That thing is unbelievably not wallet-friendly. Nor is it metal detector-friendly. I appreciate the suggestion, though.
What size are you? i have one for sale.

There is no tactile belt with a nylon buckle that is worth purchasing.

I had the 511 both with nylon buckle and metal buckle. They both suck donkey balls at supporting a weapon.

Went to Ares Enhanced Ageis and haven't looked back. Started with a L, then shrunk to a M and now am wearing a S. I sold one of them to another member here.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by MP0WER; 01-25-2017 at 09:36 PM.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 PM   #5
david05111

Quote:
True not metal-detector friendly.

What's wallet friendly though? $115-125 for a belt that is going to last you 10 years is breaking the bank?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:15 AM   #6
MP0WER

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but why would you ever need a gun belt to be metal detector friendly? If you're not wearing a gun, wear a regular belt?

I mean, i wear the Enhanced Ageis when i travel without my pistol, and it's not a big deal to go through security with it.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 01-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #7
MP0WER

Quote:
True not metal-detector friendly.

What's wallet friendly though? $115-125 for a belt that is going to last you 10 years is breaking the bank?
Ask Jeff, i freaked out on him about the price, since then i've purchased 4 belts from Ares. lol

Old 01-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
What size are you? i have one for sale.

There is no tactile belt with a nylon buckle that is worth purchasing.

I had the 511 both with nylon buckle and metal buckle. They both suck donkey balls at supporting a weapon.

Went to Ares Enhanced Ageis and haven't looked back. Started with a L, then shrunk to a M and now am wearing a S. I sold one of them to another member here.
I typically wear pants with a 34 waist. What color and how much?

What's bad about nylon buckles? Or are you saying that belts with nylon buckles just typically aren't worth a shit? I figured the Wilderness Frequent Flyer would be a good choice because every time I search for "gun belt", it's either them or Hank's that pop up first. And from what I can tell, the Frequent Flyer is the same as their instructor belt, except it has non-metal rings rather than the metal buckle.

Quote:
I don't mean to be a smart ass, but why would you ever need a gun belt to be metal detector friendly? If you're not wearing a gun, wear a regular belt?

I mean, i wear the Enhanced Ageis when i travel without my pistol, and it's not a big deal to go through security with it.
All my belts have metal buckles on them. On top of that, they're all starting to stretch out some. They are just cheap, leather Walmart belts, but they've lasted me seven years without too much issue. When I carry my M&P Shield, sag is minimal. When I carry my 1911 or full-size M&P 9mm, they definitely give to the extra weight.

With that said, I'm not looking for just a gun belt, but a daily belt. A metal buckle is not a deal-breaker, but MDF is just a plus.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 01-26-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #9
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: pisses off liberals
Fwiw I have the wilderness instructor belt. LOVE it. I purchased it specifically for iwb carry (obviously) and it has turned into my daily belt. I don't remember what I paid but at the time I thought it was pretty reasonable.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 01-26-2017, 11:39 PM   #10
MP0WER

Quote:
I typically wear pants with a 34 waist. What color and how much?

What's bad about nylon buckles? Or are you saying that belts with nylon buckles just typically aren't worth a shit? I figured the Wilderness Frequent Flyer would be a good choice because every time I search for "gun belt", it's either them or Hank's that pop up first. And from what I can tell, the Frequent Flyer is the same as their instructor belt, except it has non-metal rings rather than the metal buckle.

All my belts have metal buckles on them. On top of that, they're all starting to stretch out some. They are just cheap, leather Walmart belts, but they've lasted me seven years without too much issue. When I carry my M&P Shield, sag is minimal. When I carry my 1911 or full-size M&P 9mm, they definitely give to the extra weight.

With that said, I'm not looking for just a gun belt, but a daily belt. A metal buckle is not a deal-breaker, but MDF is just a plus.
Coyote is the color, bronze buckle with stars and stripes. Size large.

Actual belt. Those are size 34 pants.

Last edited by MP0WER; 01-26-2017 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2017, 02:47 AM   #11
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
I have the magpul leather belt. I'd wear it but it's obscenely thick. I have zero clue why it is as thick as it is.

My regular carry belt is also a wilderness instructor belt.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #12
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp0wer View Post
ask jeff, i freaked out on him about the price, since then i've purchased 4 belts from ares. Lol
:p
Old 01-27-2017, 01:10 PM   #13
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Ares Enhanced Aegis

The enhanced is likely overkill for an everyday belt. Especially if he's used to a cheap Wal-Mart belt.

Quote:

Seriously, check out the Ares Aegis. It's a solid belt that (if you don't by Joe's) is available in several different configurations and doesn't scream "tactical". This is the one that I have.

Old 01-27-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
The enhanced is likely overkill for an everyday belt. Especially if he's used to a cheap Wal-Mart belt
I wear mine every day

But compared to a Walmart belt, it's exponentially stiffer I agree
Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #15
MP0WER

Quote:
I wear mine every day

Same here. I prefer the structured shape of the belt compared to a flimsy leather belt.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
I wear mine every day

Quote:
Same here. I prefer the structured shape of the belt compared to a flimsy leather belt.
Maybe they have changed it? I'm pretty sure that the "enhanced" used to be an even stiffer version of the standard Aegis belt.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:23 PM   #17
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Maybe they have changed it? I'm pretty sure that the "enhanced" used to be an even stiffer version of the standard Aegis belt.
It is; the enhanced is definitely stiffer than the standard
Old 02-04-2017, 06:13 AM   #18
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 Yugo GVC

Wish a company would make a hermes style belt (the kind rappers don't wear) that could properly ccw.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #19
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post

Wish a company would make a hermes style belt (the kind rappers don't wear) that could properly ccw.

Kore Essentials' Trakline Belt?

https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts
Old 02-09-2017, 04:53 PM   #20
MP0WER

Quote:
Looks like a nice option! Sharp looking.

My issue is that i'm for the most part, not going to carry with my shirt tucked in. So no one is going to see my belt, hence, no need for it to be fashionable.