E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:37 PM   #2081
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
I'm going to advertise a 2000 323i for sale. I'm expecting to get about $15k out of it.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:38 PM   #2082
NOVAbimmer

I'll also accept two loaded pmags in trade.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #2083
bjo

My Ride: 04 m3, 03 x5, 95 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
Ill take you up on that. I'll even be generous, 4 PMags..
Old 12-28-2012, 03:43 PM   #2084
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Rofl. Selling 1000 rounds for 1000$. Vendors are insane!!! Cheapest pmag was 35. Most were 50$.

I left with a new eotech and a few other small goodies. Nothing major though.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #2085
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Pricing is getting ridiculous. I'm considering a pistol just for range fun until prices drop on rifle ammo

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #2086
Wreckless

My Ride: E60 528xi
Now seems like a great time for one of those .22lr drop in kits. Can still shoot and I get to keep up my stock 5.56/.223

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Old 12-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #2087
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
^ Yea. That's what I meant to say.
That's pretty much what you did say. I just had to complicate the matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Why is ammo going so crazy gun shows are $1 a round. I just had somebody offer me $1165 for 1340 rounds of xm855 and am more then happy to sell it for that ..just waiting on the money order now.freaking crazy
More of a by-product of the fear and paranoia, I suspect. However, the ammo consumption has been high since the election, which is what happened in 2008. I couldn't get affordable bulk ammo until about April or May of 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Question in regards to the whole "carbine vs middy vs rifle" gas length debate. Reedo, you mentioned that carbine systems tend to be more reliable since there's more back pressure. Is that in general, or was that just in regards to shooting lower pressure .223 ammo?
I would say that carbine length gas systems are more utilitarian and adaptable. This allows them to be more tolerant of the extremes overall when it comes to ammunition. The carbine gas system has been around a lot longer, so there's been a lot of development with it. In contrast, the midlength is just getting out of metaphorical puberty. Good companies like BCM, DD, Noveske, etc. are able to develop reliable midlength systems because they have done the R&D. Midlength systems are more reliable with the higher pressure milspec ammo, and they're more durable because the softer recoil and lower backpressure doesn't beat up the guns as bad. The problem is that there are companies that don't do very good R&D-or do none at all- and they can screw it up. Carbine systems are pretty standardized, so for companies that don't have higher QC standards or better resources, the carbine system is the more reliable platform for them. I think the carbine system is harder to jack up, but that's just my conjecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #2088
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
I found Federal American Eagle AR .223 rounds today. Bought a box of 100 only because I haven't even been able to shoot my AR, let alone test fire to make sure it's worth buying a case of 500 rounds.

Hopefully I'll be able to go shooting tomorrow... I'm deer hunting in the morning, we'll dare see if I try shooting some paper during lunch.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #2089
blownE30M3

My Ride: 2004 JB M3
Send a message via AIM to blownE30M3
So happy, got a PSA PA-15 for Xmas and went down to the local accessory department aka "my dads safe" and hooked it up with a new blackhawk handguard, EOTech sight, and bipod. Put a couple of mags through it at the range on Thursday and am incredibly impressed. Not a single jam compared to the Bushmaster we were also using, jamming on about 4-5 rounds. Damn thing also came with a 30 round mag, nice bonus.

Also, just got home from the Chantilly gun show today in VA and picked up a nice Class IV Kevlar Body armor unit. Nice Xmas.

New to the AR system, does anyone have any recommendations for a scope w/ a rail to mount the EOTech on top of? I'm looking to keep the EOTech but want something more than just sticking a magnifier behind it. I was looking around at the show but couldn't really find anything I liked, due to the chaos of thousands of people there. Or is it the standard to just put a magnifier behind it and if so, pointers?

Home Automation and A/V Programming
http://www.xsdesignstudios.com

Last edited by blownE30M3; 12-28-2012 at 10:45 PM.
blownE30M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #2090
NOVAbimmer

How was the gun show? Any reasonable prices?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #2091
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
FINALLY got my LOWER!!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:59 PM   #2092
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
FINALLY got my LOWER!!

Nice...I want a little chainsaw so bad

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 AM   #2093
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR6 View Post
I found Federal American Eagle AR .223 rounds today. Bought a box of 100 only because I haven't even been able to shoot my AR, let alone test fire to make sure it's worth buying a case of 500 rounds.

Hopefully I'll be able to go shooting tomorrow... I'm deer hunting in the morning, we'll dare see if I try shooting some paper during lunch.
American Eagle ammo is good quality. You can buy that and be sure it'll function well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownE30M3 View Post
So happy, got a PSA PA-15 for Xmas and went down to the local accessory department aka "my dads safe" and hooked it up with a new blackhawk handguard, EOTech sight, and bipod. Put a couple of mags through it at the range on Thursday and am incredibly impressed. Not a single jam compared to the Bushmaster we were also using, jamming on about 4-5 rounds. Damn thing also came with a 30 round mag, nice bonus.
If you get a good PSA, they're decent rifles. A number of their parts come from FN and LW Scneider (not the Grade 1 stuff).
Just keep it lubed with some quality synthetic lubricant like Slip2000 EWL or FrogLube, and all will run smooth.

Quote:
Also, just got home from the Chantilly gun show today in VA and picked up a nice Class IV Kevlar Body armor unit. Nice Xmas.
Do you mean Level IV plate armor? If so, please answer these questions if you get a chance:
Are the plates ceramic?
If not, what are they made of?
If they are ceramic, are they used or new?
Do you have any paperwork that was provided with it?
What company made them?
If they are used, do you have any documentation of recent x-rays of the plates?

If there are no hard plates, it can only be Level IIIA at highest rating.
If you didn't mean Level IV, what did you mean?

Quote:
New to the AR system, does anyone have any recommendations for a scope w/ a rail to mount the EOTech on top of? I'm looking to keep the EOTech but want something more than just sticking a magnifier behind it. I was looking around at the show but couldn't really find anything I liked, due to the chaos of thousands of people there. Or is it the standard to just put a magnifier behind it and if so, pointers?
This is going to be long, so go run to the bathroom quick before reading this...

If you mount a scope on an AR, and then mount an EOTech on top of the scope, which is what it sounds like you want to do, you will have an EOTech at approximately 5-6" height over bore (HOB). This is a VERY bad idea. There are a couple picatinny ring mounts available from Badger Ordnance and a couple other companies like SPUHR and whatnot. However, they are designed for laser target designators, night vision attachments, or else mini red dot sights (MRDS) like the Trijicon RMR or Leupold DeltaPoint.

You are creating three major issues by doing this:
1. You will not be able to get a cheek weld when using the EO. It will be too high. This will affect accuracy.

2. With an HOB that high, you will have significant issues with zeroing the EO. If you did this setup, you would need to zero the EO at the same range as the scope for reasons of continuity and efficiency. This would likely be a 100yd zero as the best option. The problem is that your scope HOB will be between 2.250" and 2.750" over the boreline (reticle is in center of tube), depending on the mount or rings you use. The EOTech would be somewhere around 3-4" above that, which would create a much steeper angle of adjustment. This would affect long range hold-overs, and the hold-overs would differ between optics for any range from 0-50yds, and again after about 125-150yds when the bullet is climbing to or dropping down from the maximum ordinate (highest point in the trajectory). Again, not ideal.

3. This would throw the balance of your rifle off tremendously. That much mass that high up would make your rifle top heavy. This will hamper everything from movement with the rifle to transitioning between targets while shooting. This is not to mention that EOTechs are not all that light, and when you spend enough time shooting, ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain.

Beyond that, and really going to the root of the issue, I think you are trying to make the rifle fit into too many categories. It's akin to taking a BMW 3er and putting racing slicks on it, and then giving it a 12" suspension lift so that you can race people, but then go offroad when you need to. It's just asking too much out of the rifle's setup.
Now, if you were to switch to a scope with a firedot or flashdot like the Leupold Mark6 1-6x or Mark8 CQBSS 1.1-8x, S&B PMII 1-8x Shortdot, Swarovski Z6i 1-6x, Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x, etc etc, it'd be a different story. Those have a 1x bottom end with a reticle that is brightly illuminated for use like a red dot, but magnification for use for long range shots. Going back to my previous BMW analogy, this method is like buying an X5M. You get a vehicle that can race, but you can drive off-road a little bit if need be. You have a more integrated and purpose-built setup.

If you decide that you want a scope, and still want an exterior red dot, there are better ways to go about doing it.
There is the offset mount style, like this:
http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/lof...p?t121035.html

Or a 1 o'clock rail mount option, like shown here:
http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.ht...&f=18&t=469630

Red dots that are offset mounted like above are designed to be emergency CQB sights as a supplement to weapons whose primary purpose is midrange to long range DMR employment. They're not meant to be run as a primary optical sighting system. Not only that, but they're not for people who are novices or people who don't have a lot of the fundamentals of running a carbine locked in. It's an advanced system that requires extensive training to be able to run efficiently. This is not an easy sighting system to run.
Take notice though, that these systems were designed for compact, lightweight sights like the Aimpoint T1/H1, Trijicon RMR or Leupold DeltaPoint. They weren't designed for heavy, bulky EOTechs.

Instead of this, consider getting LaRue or ADM quick-detach mounts for the EOTech and the scope, and you can take them on and off at will with no loss of zero.

OR, invest in a scope designed to fill this role, like those listed above with a 1x bottom magnification.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 12-29-2012 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:28 AM   #2094
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
I just picked up a second lower... All they had left was S&W. Im going to make something lightweight like this with FDE furnature:

Here is my left handed Stag

Also wishing I wouldnt have sold my AR10 build last year

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

Last edited by CRZY BMW; 12-29-2012 at 01:35 AM.
CRZY BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 AM   #2095
Reedo302

S&W M&P15s are good quality. You could do a LOT worse than a S&W lower.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #2096
david05111

Yeah, the S&W is quality. Where the heck did you find one? Or did you have to pay out the ass for it?

Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 AM   #2097
CRZY BMW

My Ride: has wings & a prop
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Yeah, the S&W is quality. Where the heck did you find one? Or did you have to pay out the ass for it?
Dont get me wrong, i like s&w... It matches my 442. Got it a turners 10 days ago for $130.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=309167&stc=1&d=1238667257

CRZY BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 AM   #2098
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRZY BMW View Post
Dont get me wrong, i like s&w... It matches my 442. Got it a turners 10 days ago for $130.
Wow nice

Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM   #2099
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
FINALLY got my LOWER!!

ugh... lucky!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #2100
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
BCM facebook post ftw today

To all the "gun folks" who posted before the election that "Pres Obama was not coming for our guns"; please indicate that on your orders so we do not waste any further time processing it.
Thank you for your time,
Bravo Company Management.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote