E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #2241
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
So excited to pick it up and take it out to my cousins farm. Any suggestions for fun targets on a non-range site? They're farm has like 400 acres so I'm sure we could do some long range targeting.
Old plastic milk jugs filled with water. B
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #2242
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
So excited to pick it up and take it out to my cousins farm. Any suggestions for fun targets on a non-range site? They're farm has like 400 acres so I'm sure we could do some long range targeting.
Soda cans are always great. Buy RC cola since they are cheap. If u have a little extra money then buy a bunch of spray can. Paint works great since u will see the burst of color and then all the paint being splattered as the can jumps 20ft in the air.

I get tired of paper easily so I like interactive targets more cuz they give u back feedback. Another feeback method can be a piece of iron or metal. There is no doubt whether u will hit it since u will hear the bullets impacting the metal plate

sent from my HTC EVO+ using Bimmer App

Last edited by flashmeow; 01-02-2013 at 11:22 AM.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #2243
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:

bummer
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I honestly don't know enough to refute. Just been told by well qualified individuals and read about them. Reedo may have a better opinion.
Guys I wouldn't worry that much. DD makes great rifles no doubt about that. I also know their customer service is top notch so I wouldn't worry about anything. Maybe they just had a bad batch slip between the cracks.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #2244
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: is your mom
Send a message via AIM to budman Send a message via Yahoo to budman
Quote:
http://zombieindustries.com/shop/cat...ombie-targets/
Old 01-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #2245
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 03 S2000
^
Old 01-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #2246
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I would break that list into two parts; boutique builders (Noveske, LaRue, and Knights and mass market builders (Colt, Daniel Defense, BCM, LMT). I think all of them are high quality, but you are really going to pay through the nose and have a longer wait for the boutique builders. I think the oddball in there is LaRue. You can't deny that the quality is there, but I think that they are more of a niche offering.
I'd definitely agree with this assessment.
Personally, I think that LaRue and KAC/KMC are essentially offering the same product with just different variations. LaRue does offer a slightly more accurate platform, but Knight offers a slightly more robust one for combat use. Variations on a theme, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashmeow View Post
Cool. Thanks Mr Reedo.

I keep getting conflicting statements about the company that makes my upper but your explanation makes sense. I just browsed the Model1sales and it seems similiar to what I have.

as for 1/7 twist, this is just a perference. I already have a rock river and bushmaster 1/9 twist rifle and wanted 1/7. I shot plenty of 1/7 twist 5.56 rifle and it seems like it can handle a more range of bullets (especially the heavier grain).
I haven't used a 1:9 barrel in probably 5 years. 1:7 really is a lot more utilitarian and I'm a fan of them. I know that some people make the argument that 1:9 stabilizes 55gr better, but the effects are only at ranges of 300yds or more. My argument is that if people are making consistent long range shots to 300yds, or beyond, they should be moving up to a more dedicated round anyway like a 69gr or 77gr OTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
See, nothing would make me happier than to own a Knights product, considering they're made on my doorstep in Titusville. I know they're quality as well.

But, when I look at some of their pricing, I think it's nuts. Complete lowers for like $900 (before the crazyness), suppressors priced double that of AAC, Gemtech, etc., and complete rifles at higher price points than most of the other manufacturers.

I do agree on reflection that HK does fit better into that other category, though I feel that the 416 platform alone probably merits mention or inclusion into the list. Bottom line is that I like and respect Knights, but I think all their stuff is several hundred dollars too high compared to competitors with little or no advantage gained.
The 416s are definitely good rifles. Buying the commercial MR556A1 is absolutely not going to ever happen, as it's incredibly over-priced. However, the 416 is a rifle that I honestly believe is one of the better rifles to ever grace the modern battlefield. Just sucks that the MR556A1 costs more than $1000 over what a 416 costs. Pretty ridiculous, but it's HK and they do whatever they want because they hate you.

I can stomach the cost of the SR15s, as they're not totally outrageous. They're expensive, but still less than an OBR or PredaOBR, depending on model. The SR25s are obviously the elephant in the room. As much as I really like rifles like the SR25 ECC, for the life of me I cannot figure out why the hell that is a $5500 rifle. I understand why their Mk11/M110 rifles are so expensive, as they have military contracts with them and have set minimum pricing. BUT, I think that $5500 for a heavy combat carbine is ridiculous; especially when the competition is all in the $3000 range.
If I weren't able to get a very good LE discount with Knight, there's no way I'd even be considering the SR25 in the first place.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #2247
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
20pmags just shipped from dsgarms

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 PM   #2248
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post

Damn you - I am waiting on a 10pack from them.
Rush4theYehO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 PM   #2249
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:

Me too!

I am having serious cycling issues with the M16 though. I'm not sure what it is.

Today I started with a Blue/H2 combo. It worked the first time I took it out a few weeks back. Today, it wouldn't cycle right from the beginning on FA. It would fire two rounds, then either not pick up a round or fail to feed properly and kinda scrunch the next round between the bolt and the barrel. Did some serious damage to those rounds. And the bolt never locked back on empty.

So I switched to a white spring, H3 and that didn't work. So I tried a white/H2 and that also didn't work. I lubed the whole thing up again with Slip 2000.

So here's the combinations I tried:
Blue H2
Blue H3
White H2
White H3

Nothing ran right.

The only thing that did work was to add the suppressor. With that, it worked fine. So I can only conclude that a) there isn't enough back pressure to cycle the bolt with those combos unsuppressed and b) therefore, I need to go with a really weak buffer spring combo to compensate.

Is my logic flawed somewhere? I'm thinking I need a white/h1 combo.

I was running PMC Xtac and then Federal xm193. I tried both...no change really, though I did get the distinct impression that the xtac is much weaker.

Last bit of information is that I really haven't cleaned the upper in a long time, but I did lube the heck out of everything. Not sure that it going without a cleaning would cause this much of an issue.

Maybe the gas tube is clogged up because I'm been suppressed frequently with the upper? I was under the impression that most of the carbon, etc. burned off in there because of the temperature of the gas, but I'm just trying to figure this out.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Last edited by david05111; 01-02-2013 at 06:15 PM.
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:59 PM   #2250
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
If you load one round in the magazine, and shoot it on semi, does the bolt lock back?
If you do the same on auto, does it lock back?
What spring/buffer combination were you using when you added the suppressor? Or did you run through all three combinations again?

It's not terrible to switch to a standard carbine spring, and even an H or Carbine buffer. If that's what makes it run reliably, then so be it.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #2251
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
If you load one round in the magazine, and shoot it on semi, does the bolt lock back?
If you do the same on auto, does it lock back?
What spring/buffer combination were you using when you added the suppressor? Or did you run through all three combinations again?

It's not terrible to switch to a standard carbine spring, and even an H or Carbine buffer. If that's what makes it run reliably, then so be it.
Honestly, I don't remember. Sometimes it locks the bolt back, sometimes it doesn't. Last week when I was talking to you, I got it working but I had some issues in short bursts of auto and some semi. Today, I had all sorts of problems.

As for the spring/buffer combo with the can, I don't remember that either but I know that it cycles on most of the combinations. Cycles just fine in semi on the other lower with the red/h combo too.

Which also seems weird. I have no issue with this upper running semi only on my sbr with the red/h combo. it always locks back on that lower with that combo.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #2252
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:

Time for serious profit.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:06 PM   #2253
bigugly

My Ride: things that go fast.
Quote:
Me too!

I am having serious cycling issues with the M16 though. I'm not sure what it is.
whens the last time you checked your gas keys?

suppressing it will OVER gas the bolt, so its running because it has an overflow of gas.

check your keys, clean the mung off the bolt, and see if you have some junk clogging up your gas block/tube.

the only thing I can't fix is broken hearts.
https://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
I want to be your BMW products' authorized installation center in Houston.
bigugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #2254
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
I'll just say right now I am a gun noob so I'm not sure what to look out for. local shop is taking deposits on a Franklin Armory billet lower. Price is $269. Is this an OK daeal at least?

These are the specs from the page.

Franklin Armory's custom designed billet lowers are now available! This design incorporates integrated ambidextrous, anti-rotational Quick Detach sling mounts. On the magwell, forward of the trigger is a textured Memory Index Point for safely resting the trigger finger when not ready to fire. The magazine well is also enlarged and beveled to facilitate quicker magazine changes. The integral trigger guard is over-sized to allow room for larger hands or gloves. The front of the magazine well is also textured to allow it to be used as a grip for forward support.
Specifications:
CNC Machined from 7075-T6 Aluminum
Hard Coat Type III Anodized Black
Specialized Tension Screw
Integral Over-Sized Trigger Guard
Integral Ambi Quick Detach Sling Points
Textured Trigger Finger Rest
Textured Magwell Grip
Enlarged and Beveled Magazine Well

Options:
BLK Black Anodized
DS Desert Smoke Anodized
ODG Olive Drab Anodized

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUC...LET_LOWER.html
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 PM   #2255
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigugly View Post
whens the last time you checked your gas keys?

suppressing it will OVER gas the bolt, so its running because it has an overflow of gas.

check your keys, clean the mung off the bolt, and see if you have some junk clogging up your gas block/tube.
I'll have a look at it...about to disassemble and clean it.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #2256
Reedo302

325max - Not a lot of people are going to have experience with Franklin Armory. They're more of a regional type brand than they are a nationally-recognized brand. There are so many companies out there that it's hard to keep track of them all. Ideally, you should try and find out who is making the lowers for Franklin.

David- I'd try running it with a normal or white spring and a standard buffer. Is this with the stock A1?

Glock Armorer

Old 01-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #2257
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
David- I'd try running it with a normal or white spring and a standard buffer. Is this with the stock A1?
Yeah I think I might try that, but no, its a standard milspec buffer tube with an Imod attached.

I took everything apart...covered in carbon. I did a cleaning on it. It wasn't a great cleaning, but I definitely cleared a bunch of gunk out and re-lubed it. It seems to cycle by hand smoother.

Still...this was my first test with Slip 2000 today really. Didn't you say you could go through well over 1000 rounds without a cleaning by just lubing it up like crazy? I know I don't have that many rounds through this upper and I lubed the hell out of it today...no luck.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #2258
Reedo302

Quote:
Yeah I think I might try that, but no, its a standard milspec buffer tube with an Imod attached.

I took everything apart...covered in carbon. I did a cleaning on it. It wasn't a great cleaning, but I definitely cleared a bunch of gunk out and re-lubed it. It seems to cycle by hand smoother.

Still...this was my first test with Slip 2000 today really. Didn't you say you could go through well over 1000 rounds without a cleaning by just lubing it up like crazy? I know I don't have that many rounds through this upper and I lubed the hell out of it today...no luck.
What upper were you using?

I have over 6000rds through my 11.5" without cleaning right now. Just EWL and more EWL. I'll be cleaning it at some point this spring when it warms up (gonna use the ultrasonic immersion cleaner to degrease and then rattle-can paint the rifle).

Glock Armorer

Old 01-03-2013, 12:35 AM   #2259
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
What upper were you using?

I have over 6000rds through my 11.5" without cleaning right now. Just EWL and more EWL. I'll be cleaning it at some point this spring when it warms up (gonna use the ultrasonic immersion cleaner to degrease and then rattle-can paint the rifle).
The custom colt, 12.5 inches. It has never had gas work, so that might be part of it. Its never had problems, suppressed or unsuppressed, on the other lower. But I could see that maybe everything isn't properly in-balance for auto.

I ordered the noveske to go on this gun, but after 14+ weeks, I still don't have it. I imagine that one might run better.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #2260
Reedo302

Most likely. Just try it with standard spring and buffer and see what happens. See if it resolves itselfs.

Glock Armorer