E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 31 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM   #241
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_N

Piston upper with the adams arms piston system. It doesn't meet your length requirements but it's worth looking into. there is another company out there that isn't a huge name that also uses the adams arms system. starts with a U IIRC. take a look. I have this upper and it runs flawlessly.
Several systems run the Adams Arms setup. Fleet Farm has a rifle brand called Huldra that runs the AA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Supposedly getting a free night force scope next week hopefully it doesn't fall through
Holy crap...

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #242
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Several systems run the Adams Arms setup. Fleet Farm has a rifle brand called Huldra that runs the AA.

Holy crap...
I'm just hoping the quality of my build will match the scope. I'm happy with all my parts. But he said he wouldn't take a $1 for the scope and he was pretty sure it was night force(he said he paid over $2k for it). Guess I'll hopefully find out soon Then I'll get my build underway!
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #243
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
I'm REALLY considering a 6.8SPC upper. Any input from you guys? I want an AR10, but don't want to spend so much $, so I figure a 6.8SPC upper is a good compromise...
Old 10-20-2011, 07:31 PM   #244
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
I'm REALLY considering a 6.8SPC upper. Any input from you guys? I want an AR10, but don't want to spend so much $, so I figure a 6.8SPC upper is a good compromise...
AR10 and LR308 platforms are more expensive for start-up costs if you buy a more high-end or precision setup, but the cost eventually winds up in favor of .308 when you compare it to the 6.8SPC. 6.8SPC ammunition is EXPENSIVE. The cheapest 6.8SPC ammo I can find is $17.99 for a box of 20rds. The cheapest .308 is around $8.99/20rd box.
6.8SPC is a good all-around cartridge from SBRs at close range to about 500yds, but it was developed and then it appears to have become obsolete. For close-range work, the .300AAC Blackout is the new "it" cartridge. For mid-range, the 5.56mm in the match loads are doing very well. The long range is dominated by the .308.
It's rather unfortunate, because the 6.8SPC is a good cartridge. The problem is that nobody really picked it up and went running with it for mass production for training and combat use. Silver State Armory did, but they're still charging WAY too much for it. The .300AAC Blackout will ultimately be less expensive and more widely available once production is in full swing. I honestly think the .300AAC is going to kill the 6.8SPC.

I would HIGHLY recommend taking a second look at a .308 AR. Armalite AR-10s are nice and very reasonably priced. There are a decent number of options and accessories for both the AR-10 and LR308 (DPMS) platform.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-20-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:44 PM   #245
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Did get my LaRue/Harris bipod combo in the mail yesterday. Seems extremely well put together and solid. Also the dillo rub is awesome, and like the tactical beverage opener haha. Very fast shipping from LaRue too. Will probably order an SPR mount from them too if I need a mount for my scope.
Old 10-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #246
M3_POWER

My Ride: is better than yours
Quote:
Did get my LaRue/Harris bipod combo in the mail yesterday. Seems extremely well put together and solid. Also the dillo rub is awesome, and like the tactical beverage opener haha. Very fast shipping from LaRue too. Will probably order an SPR mount from them too if I need a mount for my scope.
Jumped to conclusion at first glance....
Old 10-20-2011, 09:11 PM   #247
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
LaRue is one of my FAVORITE manufacturers. Their stuff is top notch.

Nice work on the HARRIS bipod
Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #248
Reedo302

Quote:
What model number did you get? Was it the bipod and the mount, or the modified bipod with the integrated LT mount?
I have been looking at getting the Harris BR-S/LT706 combo with the integrated mount.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-20-2011, 10:13 PM   #249
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
What model number did you get? Was it the bipod and the mount, or the modified bipod with the integrated LT mount?
I have been looking at getting the Harris BR-S/LT706 combo with the integrated mount.
I got the combo with integrated mount.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #250
M3_POWER

What trigger set ups are you using? Stock break for the S&W is around 5-6 if I remember correctly. I was looking for something maybe around 4.5-4 lb break. Also are they hard to install or is this something left for the gunsmith?
Old 10-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #251
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
What trigger set ups are you using? Stock break for the S&W is around 5-6 if I remember correctly. I was looking for something maybe around 4.5-4 lb break. Also are they hard to install or is this something left for the gunsmith?
I'm going with spikes single stage combat trigger, jp springs, drop in trigger adjuster from brownells and having a gunsmith install/tinker with it. Should be 3-4lb pull when done
Old 10-21-2011, 09:00 AM   #252
M3_POWER

Quote:
I'm going with spikes single stage combat trigger, jp springs, drop in trigger adjuster from brownells and having a gunsmith install/tinker with it. Should be 3-4lb pull when done
Know Spikes makes pretty good stuff, but haven't really seen anyone opt for it. Seems a lot of people are going with rock river arms or Geissele.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #253
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Know Spikes makes pretty good stuff, but haven't really seen anyone opt for it. Seems a lot of people are going with rock river arms or Geissele.
I decided against a 2 stage trigger at first, but can always change later. My friend (gunsmith) told me he could make me have an awesome trigger with those parts. It's going to take some work, but he said I would be extremely happy with the outcome so I'll trust him. The Spikes trigger also was included in the lower parts kit I got.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:20 AM   #254
Reedo302

I run mil-spec for my two SBRs. Mil spec triggers will be anywhere from 5-9lbs, but most I've tested with a scale have been around 7lbs. For my 18" SPR, I did a JP Rifles adjustable JP Trigger, which is a single stage setup that is adjustable for creep and over-travel. The trigger breaks cleanly at 3.5lbs on the nose. For a precision rifle, that's around the ideal weight.
For my next build, which will likely be a 16" DMR setup, I will be using the Geissele Super Dynamic - Combat.

Triggers are incredibly easy to install. You just need a punch to push out the pins in your lower receiver. There are videos galore on YouTube on how to do it.

Such as:

Glock Armorer

Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #255
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:

Holy crap...
Huldra was it. The huldra upper is actually cheaper that the S&W. I'm not sure which one is actually higher quality though.

Quote:
I believe the trigger pull on the smiths are about 5 or 6. I've never measured mine but I have shot others that have a much lighter trigger break. Personally i like the heavier triggers but appreciate the lighter ones as well.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:14 AM   #256
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Going to mount a comp m4 to my ar. I want to be ale to shoot further accurately. Should I go with the 3x magnifier in larue mount. Or pick up a nikon m223 3-12 and qd mount and swap between optics quickly?
Old 10-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #257
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Going to mount a comp m4 to my ar. I want to be ale to shoot further accurately. Should I go with the 3x magnifier in larue mount. Or pick up a nikon m223 3-12 and qd mount and swap between optics quickly?
Personally, Ithink if you want to shoot off a 3x - why don't you consider a magnified optic? An ACOG for that matter.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:43 AM   #258
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush4theYehO View Post
Personally, Ithink if you want to shoot off a 3x - why don't you consider a magnified optic? An ACOG for that matter.
I was given the comp m4 as a gift, or I would have bought a magnified scope, still might.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM   #259
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
I was given the comp m4 as a gift, or I would have bought a magnified scope, still might.
A magnified Comp M4 will do just fine, it will be nice to switch between 1x and 3x quickly. Especially since you got it as a gift, go ahead and pick up a LaRue QD flip to side.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM   #260
Reedo302

I would get the 3x magnifier for now. Use that and get used to it. Then, down the line when you get an SBR, you can transfer the CompM4 to the SBR and put a scope on the rifle you currently have.

Glock Armorer