E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #2941
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Heard good things about Fortis rails. I'm keeping an eye on it. They are super light! Let us know how you like it.
Will do..it's unbelievably light, but everything else on my build is pretty heavy(ubr, SS barrel and pig). Probably will be about a month before I get it back and then ill take it out and shoot and post up my thoughts. I ordered some noveske polymer panels for it as well.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #2942
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Just got word back from LMT's LE/MIL division regarding the LM8MWS. 1 year backorder time. 3 YEARS for commercial orders.

KAC is at a year for the SR-25s and 9 months for SR-15s.

Shitty.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM   #2943
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Just got word back from LMT's LE/MIL division regarding the LM8MWS. 1 year backorder time. 3 YEARS for commercial orders.

KAC is at a year for the SR-25s and 9 months for SR-15s.

Shitty.
Ouch...and I'm certain larue isn't much better....maybe noveske will release a new one soon.

Scar 17 looks good right now ha, but I'm assuming the accuracy isn't the same.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 04-15-2013, 06:18 PM   #2944
Reedo302

No, and there are some recoil impulse issues that I am leery about. I am likely going to put in an order for the LM8MWS, but I really seriously want to see if Noveske has plans for a Gen2 N6. John passing away threw a monkey wrench into the works, I'm sure. We may not see anything until next SHOT Show now. I had it on good authority that the G2 N6 was certain, but just no time frame. Given current demands, who knows what will come to fruition.
KAC announced their URX 4 rail, but then immediately stated they weren't fielding it because of production demand issues/backlog for the current market.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-15-2013, 06:48 PM   #2945
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I had a feeling the current demand + John passing was going to throw a big monkey wrench in the noveske rifle as they can't even come close to keeping up with demand as is. What were the deciding factors to go with the LMT over the OBR or SR25? I know all 3 are top notch and i've heard nothing but amazing things about the LMT, just was wondering what pushed you towards them.

Anybody have bobro mounts? How are they compared to ADM or Larue, all my mounts right now are LaRue but i'm looking at one for the trijicon if it pans out. It seems to have good reviews from the few that I can find, but they aren't nearly as popular as Larue or ADM.
Retail is priced above larue/adm which is a big reason why im thinking it's not as popular, but if anybody knows of any rtz issues or other issues please let me know.

Retail on rainier is $230, if it comes back in stock anytime soon I can get it for $160, which would make it cheaper then I can get a larue or ADM mount for. Or should I stick with the others.
http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...roduct_id=1510
Old 04-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #2946
Reedo302

I am about 90% on the LMT at this point. The biggest issue is the quick-change barrel capability. I primarily want a chrome-lined 16" barrel for heavy carbine/fighting rifle capability, but I want to be able to switch to precision shooting too. Get two scopes on different mounts and swap out, confirm zero, and go. The SR-25 is guaranteed 1MOA accurate, and regularly puts down 0.5-1 MOA groups with match ammo. It sounds like LMT chrome-lined barrel does the same thing. However, the stainless barrel option in say, an 18" or 20" would yield much better accuracy results, with sub-0.5MOA groups being normal. The SR-25 could possibly do this, and the OBR also will definitely do this in terms of accuracy.

The thing is, I want to get into some tactical precision match shooting, and you can't be competitive with .308/7.62 anymore. You need a higher BC load, so having the option of getting a .260Rem or 6.5Creedmoor barrel in the LMT is a huge draw.

The LaRue uses a stainless barrel, which degrades quickly under heavy heat and stress. Still very accurate, but the majority of my shooting will be heavy carbine combat type shooting, and that will burn out the barrel quickly. It's because of this that the OBR, PredatAR and PredatOBR are being eliminated from consideration. That, and it's also because getting a LaRue right now is impossible, and was even before this mess. There's a lot more fanboy love for LaRue than for KAC and LMT. Also, the OBR comes with a solid A2 stock and A2 hider, so it would require several hundred dollars in upgrades to get it a collapsible stock and better muzzle device. At that point, even with the previous LE pricing, it is more expensive than the SR-25 EC. That also brings me to my next issue- LaRue no longer offers LE pricing on their rifles. With the current demand, they stopped doing LE pricing for rifles, and they won't prioritize LE orders. Basically, there's no incentive for me to buy there anymore.

KAC makes a hell of a good gun that is worlds better than the original SR-25/M110 that had problems over 10 years ago. The rifles now are reliable and accurate. BUT, KAC is still expensive and the SR-25 EC is $3400, and the SR-25 ECC is $4500. Ouch. That's LE/MIL pricing, by the way.
Then is sort of loses out because there's no barrel change option.

LMT gets the nod for barrel change. Not only that, but not a lot of people know that LMT partnered with KAC to develop the MWS, and many of the components are of KAC design. This contributed to the MWS being selected by the British military as their new L129A1 Designated Marksman Rifle. Add to that the new LM8MWS variant that now uses a slick-sided modular rail that allows you to change rail placement locations for weight savings, and that's a huge bonus.
Best of all, LE price is a smidge over $2900 for the rifle with a 16" chrome-lined barrel. LMT is a good company, so this is an added benefit. They have an LE build queue, which is 1/3 the time, so that's a huge plus.

I did consider the GA Precision GAP-10, but again, the same issue as the OBR appears with the stainless barrel.

I realize that Noveske uses PacNor stainless barrels for their .308 platform; or at least has in the past and likely would in the future, but I'd be willing to take this hit because changing the barrel on a Noveske is as easy as buying a new barrel and having the wrench. With both LaRue and GAP rifles, they need to be sent back for rebarreling. That's several weeks at least. With the Noveske, it'd be whatever the wait time is for the barrel to arrive, meanwhile I still have the rifle, and then 20 minutes for the barrel change in my man cave.

I am not going to attempt to get a SCAR-17. Only one company-Molon Labe Industries- is making mags for it right now. FN mags are impossible to get, and were even before all of this bullshit. Not only that, but I recently read reports that the recoil on that rifle was creating a strange impulse that was jacking up optics for weird reasons. There is also no guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy capability, so that plays heavily into that decision as well.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 04-16-2013 at 01:03 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 AM   #2947
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
I am about 90% on the LMT at this point. The biggest issue is the quick-change barrel capability. I primarily want a chrome-lined 16" barrel for heavy carbine/fighting rifle capability, but I want to be able to switch to precision shooting too. Get two scopes on different mounts and swap out, confirm zero, and go. The SR-25 is guaranteed 1MOA accurate, and regularly puts down 0.5-1 MOA groups with match ammo. It sounds like LMT chrome-lined barrel does the same thing. However, the stainless barrel option in say, an 18" or 20" would yield much better accuracy results, with sub-0.5MOA groups being normal. The SR-25 could possibly do this, and the OBR also will definitely do this in terms of accuracy.

The thing is, I want to get into some tactical precision match shooting, and you can't be competitive with .308/7.62 anymore. You need a higher BC load, so having the option of getting a .260Rem or 6.5Creedmoor barrel in the LMT is a huge draw.

The LaRue uses a stainless barrel, which degrades quickly under heavy heat and stress. Still very accurate, but the majority of my shooting will be heavy carbine combat type shooting, and that will burn out the barrel quickly. It's because of this that the OBR, PredatAR and PredatOBR are being eliminated from consideration. That, and it's also because getting a LaRue right now is impossible, and was even before this mess. There's a lot more fanboy love for LaRue than for KAC and LMT. Also, the OBR comes with a solid A2 stock and A2 hider, so it would require several hundred dollars in upgrades to get it a collapsible stock and better muzzle device. At that point, even with the previous LE pricing, it is more expensive than the SR-25 EC. That also brings me to my next issue- LaRue no longer offers LE pricing on their rifles. With the current demand, they stopped doing LE pricing for rifles, and they won't prioritize LE orders. Basically, there's no incentive for me to buy there anymore.

KAC makes a hell of a good gun that is worlds better than the original SR-25/M110 that had problems over 10 years ago. The rifles now are reliable and accurate. BUT, KAC is still expensive and the SR-25 EC is $3400, and the SR-25 ECC is $4500. Ouch. That's LE/MIL pricing, by the way.
Then is sort of loses out because there's no barrel change option.

LMT gets the nod for barrel change. Not only that, but not a lot of people know that LMT partnered with KAC to develop the MWS, and many of the components are of KAC design. This contributed to the MWS being selected by the British military as their new L129A1 Designated Marksman Rifle. Add to that the new LM8MWS variant that now uses a slick-sided modular rail that allows you to change rail placement locations for weight savings, and that's a huge bonus.
Best of all, LE price is a smidge over $2900 for the rifle with a 16" chrome-lined barrel. LMT is a good company, so this is an added benefit. They have an LE build queue, which is 1/3 the time, so that's a huge plus.

I did consider the GA Precision GAP-10, but again, the same issue as the OBR appears with the stainless barrel.

I realize that Noveske uses PacNor stainless barrels for their .308 platform; or at least has in the past and likely would in the future, but I'd be willing to take this hit because changing the barrel on a Noveske is as easy as buying a new barrel and having the wrench. With both LaRue and GAP rifles, they need to be sent back for rebarreling. That's several weeks at least. With the Noveske, it'd be whatever the wait time is for the barrel to arrive, meanwhile I still have the rifle, and then 20 minutes for the barrel change in my man cave.

I am not going to attempt to get a SCAR-17. Only one company-Molon Labe Industries- is making mags for it right now. FN mags are impossible to get, and were even before all of this bullshit. Not only that, but I recently read reports that the recoil on that rifle was creating a strange impulse that was jacking up optics for weird reasons. There is also no guaranteed sub-MOA accuracy capability, so that plays heavily into that decision as well.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the KAC in most circumstances, but the LMT sounds like the thing to buy after reading all that. No question it's a quality gun and has awesome features. Not to mention, a great price. Seems like a no-brainer to me if you're in the market

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:25 AM   #2948
Reedo302

It's basically a straight toss-up between the KAC SR-25 EC and LMT LM8MWS. I am 90% LMT and 10% KAC at this point. I've been 50/50 for a long time, but after actually sitting down and thinking it over, and then doing some research, the LMT really surged ahead. Nothing against KAC, but the LMT just has more to offer me specifically.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-17-2013, 06:30 PM   #2949
david05111

Can someone explain to me the greatness of the Magpul UBR?? Adam, I know you tried to explain it to me earlier, but I honestly still dont get it. $250+?? Wow

Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #2950
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Half the stuff I ordered from PSA (spring, buffer weight, castle nut & 2 Ruger boxed pmags) came today! The Buffer Tube's tracking shows it should be here tomorrow!
Old 04-17-2013, 09:23 PM   #2951
Reedo302

The Magpul UBR is probably the ONLY useless thing they've ever made. I think it's supposed to be a fixed stock feel with the adjustability of collapsible stock, but that makes no sense, because that's basically the same thing as a collapsible stock with the secondary friction lock (i.e. the CTR or STR).

On a side note, I have been running an STR for a little while, and I really like it. Much better for my needs than the VLTOR EMOD I was running before.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-17-2013, 10:08 PM   #2952
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
The Magpul UBR is probably the ONLY useless thing they've ever made. I think it's supposed to be a fixed stock feel with the adjustability of collapsible stock, but that makes no sense, because that's basically the same thing as a collapsible stock with the secondary friction lock (i.e. the CTR or STR).

On a side note, I have been running an STR for a little while, and I really like it. Much better for my needs than the VLTOR EMOD I was running before.
I like the ubr ha...it's only $60ish more really then a str. Since it comes a buffer tube, so there's no need to buy a buffer tube/end plate/ castle nut. They aren't worth over $250 though. Aimsurplus sells them for $199 shipped. They lock up extremely tight though, zero play at all. They are heavy, very heavy. However it helps balance some guns nicely, mines going on a 13.7" stainless barrel with noveske kx3 which would make it from heavy and i think the ubr will balance it out well. I love my str stocks too...is it twice as good as a str, no probably not but I do like it so I think they are worth the extra cash. Stay far away if your concerned with weight at all though. It's just damn well made IMO, plus you could use it as a club and beat the hell out of somebody without worrying about damaging it.
Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 PM   #2953
Reedo302

They seem to be well-liked by the 3-Gun crowd, so it has it's niche I guess. I think the weight of it has a lot to do with 3-Gunners liking it for the balance, since they tend to run the heavy match barrels on the front end.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-18-2013, 11:11 PM   #2954
david05111

I mean, I think they look cool and are an interesting concept. I just don't think they're worth anywhere near that price.

Also need an opinion on BCGs. Any brand I should look for particularly for my new Noveske upper? Usual suspects are BCM, Colt, DD, Noveske, Fail Zero. Any others?

Old 04-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #2955
Reedo302

Those you listed. If you can find them.

Glock Armorer

Old 04-19-2013, 12:31 AM   #2956
david05111

Quote:
Those you listed. If you can find them.
That's what I figured...I'll keep my eyes open. I do have an extra colt, but its actually in a complete colt lol.

Old 04-19-2013, 03:18 AM   #2957
Reedo302

LMT slick-sided MWS with 16" SS barrel popped up for sale on Rainier Arms. I got it in my cart, then decided to sit and think on it for a little bit, as I want the chrome-lined barrel. Decided to pull the trigger anyway.
SOLD THE FUCK OUT. I snooze, I lose. Dammit to fuck!!

Glock Armorer

Old 04-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #2958
TSR6

My Ride: Keg Sled
Quote:
LMT slick-sided MWS with 16" SS barrel popped up for sale on Rainier Arms. I got it in my cart, then decided to sit and think on it for a little bit, as I want the chrome-lined barrel. Decided to pull the trigger anyway.
SOLD THE FUCK OUT. I snooze, I lose. Dammit to fuck!!
Thats OK.... the guy who got it? Sitting in his underwear, thinks to himself "hmm... it's for an AR-15... Fuckit... It's just the credit card. Who cares if I don't need it.."
Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #2959
david05111

Sucks for sure

Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #2960
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Damn that sucks...they got a big shipment from lmt yesterday and little noveske
I saw complete lmt lowers(2 set ups), 16" and 14.5" lmt uppers and a noveske spr upper