E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:29 PM   #3301
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
looks like it's got a button for collapsing.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #3302
NOVAbimmer

this guy seems happy with it
http://www.breachbangclear.com/site/...ist-stock.html

I think that'll be the one for this build. Definitely cheaper than a CTR
Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #3303
NOVAbimmer

engraving is done. Cost me nothing at Things Remembered in the mall because she was unhappy with how it turned out.

It's legible and deep enough, so I'm happy with it. They did give me a funny look when I first walked in, though.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM   #3304
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Haha I wouldn't ever have thought to bring it to that place

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #3305
NOVAbimmer

It's where the armorer at my LGS recommended. He also mentioned the trophy store next door to their shop, but said they're on a two week back order right now

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 03-08-2014, 11:44 PM   #3306
NOVAbimmer

I feel like I must have installed that pivot pin incorrectly, it went in way too easily. It's working, though

Old 03-09-2014, 07:54 AM   #3307
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
I feel like I must have installed that pivot pin incorrectly, it went in way too easily. It's working, though

Front or rear? I love the battle arms enhanced pins I put in my last lower. The magnet makes installing the front pivot pin si easy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #3308
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Front or rear? I love the battle arms enhanced pins I put in my last lower. The magnet makes installing the front pivot pin si easy.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BimmerApp mobile app

Front. I know the last one I did, I shot the retainer pin up into the air at least twice

Old 03-18-2014, 07:51 PM   #3309
david05111

So I had my Noveske upper and my m16 lower examined for 4 hours by a smith. After tinkering with it for 4 hours at the range, we came to me the conclusion that the upper was seriously messed up, which explains why I've had so many issues. The lower is flawless; it ran like a champ with working uppers.

The upper has serious gas issues. It acts like its short stroking when it heats up. We decided to take the rail off and have a look at the switchblock, which looked ok. Then we took it apart and found some interesting stuff. First off, the gas port on the he barrel is massive, something like .082. The gas ports on the block itself are also pretty large for suppressed and unsuppressed. The gun should run/act overgassed, but it doesn't. We decided to throw a different block in there, which worked for a while, but the problems quickly returned when the gun heated up again.

Ultimately, we tried just about everything to get it to run. We concluded that its a barrel issue, either headspacing or a tight chamber or something along those lines. I returned it to my dealer and they are going to get in touch with Noveske and get it fixed. During testing, the upper fried the gas rings in the bcg also...was doing very weird things.

When we did get it running, the cyclic rate unsuppressed was in the 600s, which was over 350 rounds per minute slower than the comparable lmt and Daniel defense with adjustable gas blocks we had there. We'd change something and it would go up, then shoot back down to the slow speeds again. It was madness.

I'll update the thread when I start to hear more from noveske

Old 03-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #3310
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Did the Noveske upper work okay on a different lower (FA or Semi)?
Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #3311
david05111

Not any better, no. It wasn't the lower.

The upper would run sometimes on both lowers, but not consistently at all and rarely at the correct cyclic rate.

This is a post made by the guy I worked with about it (from arfcom). Should clear up some of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted By amphibian:
As David mentioned, we had all kinds of inconsistent results. What IS consistent is that all the inconsistent results were isolated to his upper reciever AND barrel. I wasn't going to try to swap upper receivers at the range although we did do a bunch of work most people wouldn't try doing at the range
His AAC brake/suppressor mount was probably Rocksetted on there and we did get it off with a small vise I brought and a lot torque.

Here are some of things we did, not sure of the exact order of things.

1. At some point I watched his un-altered Noveske upper run several rounds in full auto unsuppressed and it was slow for a 10.5. In the high 600's.

2. We put my LMT 10.5" on his M16 lower and it ran flawlessly. - so that ruled out his lower....so at this point I think it is obvious something was going on with the upper.

3. I checked his gas rings which passed the gravity test and didn't feel bad. I had him try my known working Colt BCG in his Noveske upper and he still had SS'ing (Short Stroking)

4. There was evidence of his Switchblock (SB) leaking so I figured maybe the gas rings in his SB were shot. We took the rail apart along with the SB and it seemed fine. The SB was pinned in place and we managed to drive the pin out and get it off.

5. I put on a standard low profile gas block that my partner makes (non-adjustable) and standard gas tube and it ran flawlessly and very fast and violent. I believe David even ran it with cheap ammo for that test because I knew it should run anything at this size. I had documented that the port in the barrel was .082".

6. I put a Govnah on his barrel and tweaked it out to .073/.049/.082 for port sizes. What I typically do is fire one round of good quality ammo with a mag that reliably locks the bolt back which was at .070 then I go up the next bit size up around the next 3 thousandths to make sure it will run with the additional resistance of a fully loaded mag applying pressure to the bottom of the BCG. .082 is obvious since that is the port size in the barrel so that is now the adverse/installation port. I had him run several rounds out of fully loaded mags at .073 and .082 and it ran FAST just like the non-adjustable block like I would expect. I didn't have him do mag dumps at this time as there was no need, we just needed to make sure it was reliable with the additional resistance so just run a short burst of 5-10 rounds out of a fully loaded 30 round mag.

7. The last thing to do was to tune the suppressed port. If I recall, it locked back at .046 with his AAC SDN6 (yes I know that is a 30 cal can but interestingly I've found the same port sizes work for a .30 cal can as they do a 556 can) and I increased to .049 for the reasons mentioned above and tested. This is where things started getting ugly. As Dave mentioned, he had issues only when it started getting hot. Well it was getting hot now with all the suppressor testing. So I went up to .052, still SS'ing. Then .055, still SS'ing...., Then .059, still SS'ing.....OK. This is not right, I've never seen a suppressed 10.5 require a suppressed position requiring a port that big so as a sanity check, moved the regulator to .073 which should definitely be working and still SS'ing.

8. Around this time I think I checked the rings and found them to be smoked and failed the gravity test. We swapped BCG's and his setup still was SS'ing.

9. Swapped just the H2 buffer with my H2 buffer and then RoF went back up so we thought he had a bad buffer then it went back down. So I had a brand new white Sprinco spring with me and swapped that and it didn't make a difference either.

10. I took my Govnah off and put everything back together the way it was so he can address this with Noveske. BTW, Dave, note that since the rings are now shot, you may want to replace them as you don't want a technician to see that and think it is a simple issue of the gas rings being shot out.

I brought two Pact timers with me that have RoF built in.
All RoF testing was done w/ LC M855 for consistency.

His clocked at 674 RPM with a .082 port when it was starting to have problems.
665 RPM at a .073 port.

Contrast this with my LMT 10.5", I set my regulator to .082 and I got 884 RPM.

We ran my DD MK18 10.3 and it also was in the high 800's at .082".
RoF will obviously vary on ammo, mags, cleanliness etc but you can see a video of my 10.3" MK18 running at 830 RPM here and that is running with a .070" port.

As I discussed in this article here: http://micromoa.com/?page_id=855

I tested the 3 different 10.5" uppers below and they all required different gas port sizes to lock the bolt back w/ LC M855
The top one was .076"
The middle one was .063"
The bottom one was .070" - My LMT 10.5", as stated above, while it locks back at .070, I opened to .073 so this barrel had the same port size as Dave's for optimal unsuppressed and adverse. [span style='color: rgb(255, 0, 0);']His ROF results should have been very close to my 10.5" LMT.[/span] But as you can see from the RoF testing above - around 200 RPM slower all using the same LC M855.

http://micromoa.com/wp-content/uploa...s-1024x647.jpg

The top one had a port of .078 from the factory and I have a video of it running here:

That one did have an un-suppressed RoF similar to Dave's at 694 RPM unsuppressed but that one was consistently that way.

I'm sure I've missed some of the troubleshooting steps but I think based on all the evidence and testing it must be something with the barrel and/or upper receiver since we didn't swap upper receivers which I find highly unlikely to be the problem.

I told Dave I could have my partner check the chamber out and later thought I would be curious to run a pin gauge in the bore to see what it is running at as well. I did briefly look at the bore and barrel extension and couldn't find anything visibly wrong.

Dave, glad I could help and hope you can do something with all the data we collected. You know my stuff works and I'll be releasing my match grade barrels hopefully this week which will be tuned with my Govnah's and guaranteed to run anything OPTIMALLY with no buffer changes.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:58 AM   #3312
NOVAbimmer

Something I had never really thought of before, but for the M16 lower, do you have to pay a seperate stamp to SBR it, or as a machine gun is it considered already good to go for SBR?
Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM   #3313
david05111

It's already gtg. A machine gun is separate and distinct from an sbr and is subject to no restrictions on length, etc. slap whatever length upper you want on it; you're gtg.

Old 03-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #3314
NOVAbimmer

that's kind of what I figured

on an unrelated note, I bought that minimalist stock and took it out last weekend. I really like it. Light weight, sturdy enough (I probably wouldn't buttstroke anyone with it), and very comfortable. Would buy again. Also, BCM needs to hurry up and get more KMR10s out, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:36 PM   #3315
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I have a KMR13 on order. Pretty sweet rail and very light. Unfortunately all accessories are sold out.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 03-21-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM   #3316
NOVAbimmer

The General AR Discussion Thread

I'm tempted to remove the FSP on my 16 inch for a low pro gas block and the KMR15 when they release it

Edit: I'm always excited for new tech, the key mod rails cause a tightness in my boxers.

Last edited by NOVAbimmer; 03-22-2014 at 08:35 AM.
NOVAbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #3317
PapiOcho

My Ride: CRV
O:-) it's an awesome stock.
I'm a minimalist.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395508676597.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	550986  
PapiOcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #3318
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapiOcho View Post
O:-) it's an awesome stock.
I'm a minimalist.

I actually like that , what stock is that? The only stock Ive been using on all of my builds is the magpul MOE.
Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #3319
NOVAbimmer

Quote:
https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sh...roduct_id=4127

Anyone have experience with this MFT minimalist stock? I was planning on going with another magpul, then came across this one. It looks cool, but does it function well?

It's this one, MFT minimalist.

Old 03-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #3320
PapiOcho

My Ride: CRV
Quote:
that's kind of what I figured

on an unrelated note, I bought that minimalist stock and took it out last weekend. I really like it. Light weight, sturdy enough (I probably wouldn't buttstroke anyone with it), and very comfortable. Would buy again. Also, BCM needs to hurry up and get more KMR10s out, I've got money burning a hole in my pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
I actually like that , what stock is that? The only stock Ive been using on all of my builds is the magpul MOE.
The same stock nova was commenting about. I got it at academy sports for $40 on sale
Click image for larger version

Name:	1395509735318.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	550991

PapiOcho is offline   Reply With Quote