E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:32 AM   #401
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Brownells has it for $285 shipped for 1000rds lake city... Slickguns.com has a link to the deal
Do you by chance have a link? I found some XM193 on Brownells, but it was $300 without shipping and was out of stock.
__________________

Last edited by Serbonze; 02-22-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #402
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 4,758
My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Do you by chance have a link? I found some XM193 on Brownells, but it was $300 without shipping and was out of stock.
Its backordable now..but they have a $30 off coupon that makes it 270 + 13 shipping if you don't need it asap. I believe the coupon is dfm 10% off the order. Good deal IMO

Sent from my SCH-I400 using Bimmer App

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 02-22-2012 at 10:08 AM.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #403
M3_POWER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,125
My Ride: 2005 M3
556 seems to be going down in price over the last few months. Hopefully this continues....
__________________

Last edited by M3_POWER; 02-23-2012 at 08:34 AM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 AM   #404
Sentaruu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 848
My Ride: Xterra
lotta troops commin home, surplus ammo. it wont last.
__________________
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 11:00 AM   #405
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,763
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
There's a lot of M855 ammunition coming out. That stuff is all surplus and cancelled lots that were replaced with the M855A1.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:16 PM   #406
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
So, I thought about making a new thread for this, but thought putting it in here would be easy and appropriate. I've got a friend (he is an inactive member on here) who's getting ready to build an AR. I've been trying to advise him on some things, but I figure I might has well come here to start.

First off, he and I have decided the first priority is to grab a stripped lower. He want's an SBR. The way I figure it, its easy to grab a stripped lower and send in the Form 1, then wait to build it. That way, money isn't tied up and it gives us a few months to really decide what to throw on/in it.

So my question is what stripped lower should we be looking at? The name that sticks out at me is Spikes, but I don't know much about this actually so I'm open to ideas. Looking for a quality lower that's milspec and has good quality control, etc. Thoughts? Price isn't much of an issue at this point; anywhere from $100-400 is what I expect.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #407
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
So, I thought about making a new thread for this, but thought putting it in here would be easy and appropriate. I've got a friend (he is an inactive member on here) who's getting ready to build an AR. I've been trying to advise him on some things, but I figure I might has well come here to start.

First off, he and I have decided the first priority is to grab a stripped lower. He want's an SBR. The way I figure it, its easy to grab a stripped lower and send in the Form 1, then wait to build it. That way, money isn't tied up and it gives us a few months to really decide what to throw on/in it.

So my question is what stripped lower should we be looking at? The name that sticks out at me is Spikes, but I don't know much about this actually so I'm open to ideas. Looking for a quality lower that's milspec and has good quality control, etc. Thoughts? Price isn't much of an issue at this point; anywhere from $100-400 is what I expect.
If you are just talking about a stripped, forged lower receiver (and not the lower parts kit as well, or a complete lower receiver) then I think anything from a quality manufacturer is going to be fine. Just have him pick the roll mark that he likes best.

If he is thinking about going with a billet, then that changes things a bit. Reed recently used a LaRue, and I used a Quentin Defense that I'm very happy with. I think he needs to figure out which direction he wants to go first.
__________________
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #408
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
If you are just talking about a stripped, forged lower receiver (and not the lower parts kit as well, or a complete lower receiver) then I think anything from a quality manufacturer is going to be fine. Just have him pick the roll mark that he likes best.

If he is thinking about going with a billet, then that changes things a bit. Reed recently used a LaRue, and I used a Quentin Defense that I'm very happy with. I think he needs to figure out which direction he wants to go first.
Brings up a question that I had earlier; is there really anything in the forged v. billet argument? I mean, does it really make sense to spend like triple the amount for a billet lower? What major manufacturers use billet lowers anyway? I, for one, am almost certain my Colt lower is forged, not billet.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #409
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Brings up a question that I had earlier; is there really anything in the forged v. billet argument? I mean, does it really make sense to spend like triple the amount for a billet lower? What major manufacturers use billet lowers anyway? I, for one, am almost certain my Colt lower is forged, not billet.
Damn...you're fast. I was just coming back to edit to say that with the price range that you provided, I'm not sure if he wants to purchase a complete lower or a stripped lower. I don't know of any that cost $400, even for a top of the line billet.

Forged is typically stronger, lighter, and cheaper. With billet, they can machine it anyway that they want an reinforce any areas that may be perceived as weak and they are typically a little heavier. They are also usually a proprietary design and may offer features that a forged doesn't, or can't.

For example, my billet lower has a large integrated trigger guard (which I think I've only seen one forged lower have that...like Black Ordinance or something) and a threaded bolt catch screw instead of a pin.

Price will also vary from manufacturer. My billet lower was $180, and I think Reed paid $250 for the LaRue.

Here is a pic of my billet lower.



Here is a pic of my forged BCM lower. The differences are there, but unless you really look it's probably nothing that you would ever notice.


Reed is probably better suited to answer the question about major manufacturers using billet lowers instead of forged. My guess is none, because it's much easier and cheaper to produce a forged lower.
__________________

Last edited by Serbonze; 02-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #410
Sentaruu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 848
My Ride: Xterra
that skull is sick.
__________________
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #411
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Damn...you're fast. I was just coming back to edit to say that with the price range that you provided, I'm not sure if he wants to purchase a complete lower or a stripped lower. I don't know of any that cost $400, even for a top of the line billet.

Forged is typically stronger, lighter, and cheaper. With billet, they can machine it anyway that they want an reinforce any areas that may be perceived as weak and they are typically a little heavier. They are also usually a proprietary design and may offer features that a forged doesn't, or can't.

For example, my billet lower has a large integrated trigger guard (which I think I've only seen one forged lower have that...like Black Ordinance or something) and a threaded bolt catch screw instead of a pin.

Price will also vary from manufacturer. My billet lower was $180, and I think Reed paid $250 for the LaRue.

Here is a pic of my billet lower.


Here is a pic of my forged BCM lower. The differences are there, but unless you really look it's probably nothing that you would ever notice.


Reed is probably better suited to answer the question about major manufacturers using billet lowers instead of forged. My guess is none, because it's much easier and cheaper to produce a forged lower.
Yeah I know I'm fast; I just happen to have the thread open on the side of the computer and keep refreshing it.

You basically just confirmed what I thought I knew. Why did you decide on a billet lower? I'm just trying to understand what real practical advantage it has that might sway a buyer.

Interesting you mentioned LaRue...I knew I was missing a big company to look at.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #412
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
that skull is sick.
Thanks! It's my own design. I even have hats to go with it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Yeah I know I'm fast; I just happen to have the thread open on the side of the computer and keep refreshing it.

You basically just confirmed what I thought I knew. Why did you decide on a billet lower? I'm just trying to understand what real practical advantage it has that might sway a buyer.
Honestly? I wanted something unique, with a rollmark that I thought looked good, and an integrated trigger guard. Quentin Defense offered all of that, and they laser engraved my logo before they sent it for $25.

A forged lower would have functioned just as well.
__________________
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #413
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Thanks! It's my own design. I even have hats to go with it.





Honestly? I wanted something unique, with a rollmark that I thought looked good, and an integrated trigger guard. Quentin Defense offered all of that, and they laser engraved my logo before they sent it for $25.

A forged lower would have functioned just as well.
Interesting...actually, badass. So you can give them a design and they'll put it on the side?
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:29 PM   #414
Sentaruu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 848
My Ride: Xterra
i need one for my ar. no joke awsome design.
__________________
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #415
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Interesting...actually, badass. So you can give them a design and they'll put it on the side?
Oh yea. Ident Marking, the company that I used for my SBR engraving, and Orion will do that too. I'm going to have them engrave it on the BCM lower, I've just been lazy and have not gotten around to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
i need one for my ar. no joke awsome design.
Thanks again. I copyrighted it too.
__________________
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:43 PM   #416
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Oh yea. Ident Marking, the company that I used for my SBR engraving, and Orion will do that too. I'm going to have them engrave it on the BCM lower, I've just been lazy and have not gotten around to it.



Thanks again. I copyrighted it too.
OK, that is badass. Now I want a custom lower myself haha.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM   #417
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,763
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Basically what Serbonze said regarding forged vs billet. Billet is nice because it is much easier to make a custom lower with different modifications, controls, and to make a unique design. My LaRue is a very good looking lower receiver and was worth every penny. Having said that, I bought it because it was compatible with all mil-spec uppers and parts. Some billet lowers are designed only to interface with a billet upper receiver from the same company. The Mega GTR-3H comes to mind for that one. When talking about DPMS LR308/KAC compatible .308 ARs, it's a different story for a different time.

I would recommend just sticking with forged. Strong, light and durable. Spikes is a good one. Or, buy a BCM blemished lower for dirt cheap and horse around with it. I am looking at either a blemished BCM or else a stripped Noveske Gen2 lower for my current 16" build. Still trying to decide. As Serbonze said, any forged lower is good as long as it comes from a quality manufacturer.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #418
david05111
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ponte Vedra, FL
Posts: 3,775
My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
What are the backorders looking like for some of these? Probably want to grab one soon and send in the Form 1 on it to get things rolling.
__________________


"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #419
Reedo302
Registered User
 
Reedo302's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,763
My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
It depends on where you get the lower and who makes it. Noveske lowers are notoriously hard to get a hold of. Spikes usually has a goods amount of stock.
__________________



Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer


Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 06:27 AM   #420
Serbonze
Master of his domain.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: In my house
Posts: 2,048
My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
What are the backorders looking like for some of these? Probably want to grab one soon and send in the Form 1 on it to get things rolling.
I was looking around for a Spikes lower last night and I came up with nothing. AIM Surplus and JoeBobsOutfitters are two of their distributors that I usually check.

You can find a bunch of different forged and billet stripped lowers at Ranier Arms too. If you go with BCM, you can only order them as complete lower kits directly from BCM or G&R Tactical. Your other choice is to check some of the large forums to see what people are selling.
__________________
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is OFF





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use