E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #461
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Just got back from some training, but I had a discussion with another LEO who had a problem with his S&W M&P15T. This is the second time in two weeks I've heard of problems with the 15T model. The issue is with the gas block, and the set screws loosening and the gas block shifting, causing the rifle not operate properly. The first sign of a problem is short-stroking due to loss of gas pressure. If you have any M&P15 rifle with a low-profile gas block that is secured with set screws, make sure to regularly check the screws for tightness. Mark them with a permanent marker or a scratch so you can tell if they start to loosen. If this is a problem that persists, the only thing you can do is to pin the gas block with a taper pin. Threadlocker fluid like Rocksett and red Loctite will not reliably hold up to the heat of the gas block.
Just an FYI to anyone with one. Still great rifles, just a small problem to watch out for. It's the main reason why I prefer to pin my gas blocks.
My PSX model also did this. I check all set screws for tightness after each outing though and haven't had a problem since tightening it over 2000 rounds ago. something tells me it may have just not been properly torqued from the factory. The Ps and PSX models do however have a pin as well so I;m sure it may be less of an issue. The DI models ONLY use set screws>?

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:59 AM   #462
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
The 15T models do. I'm not sure about all DI models, but I have not seen any M&P15s with low profile gas blocks that are taper-pinned.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #463
speedcrazy1532

I think the part I missed was low profile. Carry on.

-Phil
Old 03-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #464
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
BTW I know some people hate Botach but i've had a few good experiences with them. They have the Magpul MS3 Sling on sale for $39 shipped, can't really beat the price so I'm giving it another whirl. If anybody is interested use coupon slickmag at checkout to get the 20% off.

http://www.botachtactical.com/magpulms3sling.html
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #465
Reedo302

Do they actually have it in stock? I've heard the MS3 is backordered to high-heaven.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-27-2012, 01:30 PM   #466
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Do they actually have it in stock? I've heard the MS3 is backordered to high-heaven.
I'll give them a call and find out... ill update once I get in touch with them
Old 03-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #467
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Just talked to their customer service and she checked and said both colors(black and coyote tan) were in stock.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #468
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Just got back from some training, but I had a discussion with another LEO who had a problem with his S&W M&P15T. This is the second time in two weeks I've heard of problems with the 15T model. The issue is with the gas block, and the set screws loosening and the gas block shifting, causing the rifle not operate properly. The first sign of a problem is short-stroking due to loss of gas pressure. If you have any M&P15 rifle with a low-profile gas block that is secured with set screws, make sure to regularly check the screws for tightness. Mark them with a permanent marker or a scratch so you can tell if they start to loosen. If this is a problem that persists, the only thing you can do is to pin the gas block with a taper pin. Threadlocker fluid like Rocksett and red Loctite will not reliably hold up to the heat of the gas block.
Just an FYI to anyone with one. Still great rifles, just a small problem to watch out for. It's the main reason why I prefer to pin my gas blocks.
Any idea if it was the older or newer model 15T?
Old 03-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #469
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Good shiet AJ. Wondering if it's worth upgrading from the MS2....
Old 03-27-2012, 01:52 PM   #470
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
BTW I know some people hate Botach but i've had a few good experiences with them. They have the Magpul MS3 Sling on sale for $39 shipped, can't really beat the price so I'm giving it another whirl. If anybody is interested use coupon slickmag at checkout to get the 20% off.

http://www.botachtactical.com/magpulms3sling.html
I think you said that you were going to take a class this summer? I'll just warn you now to wear some kind of collar or get a pad for it. I have not used mine yet (class is in two weeks) but practicing drills around the house, that bitch cuts right into your neck.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #471
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I think you said that you were going to take a class this summer? I'll just warn you now to wear some kind of collar or get a pad for it. I have not used mine yet (class is in two weeks) but practicing drills around the house, that bitch cuts right into your neck.
Thanks, i'll have to look into a pad. I bought the first one for my 870 im redoing but I might order another one for my SBR im beginning to work on. Looking forward to your review of using it in the class.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:26 PM   #472
Reedo302

Quote:
Any idea if it was the older or newer model 15T?
It was newer models. One instance was posted up on SnipersHide and it's a newer model from the way it was described. The cop I talked to yesterday while I was buying my M&P9 was a local LEO, and had a newish model. It wasn't brand new, but wasn't old either. Now that I'm hearing two separate encounters, that gives me enough to just want to make people aware of the possibility for an FYI. I don't think it takes anything away from the quality of S&W, since it's a pretty easy fix and a problem that is not necessarily Quality Control related. I would prefer them to be pinning their LPGs, but that takes more expense, so I understand why they don't. Otherwise, with the exception of the Mossberg barrel issue, all the reports I get about M&P15s continues to be positive. I think that S&W is still learning the whole AR15 world, so there will be some growing pains as they work to get better.

Quote:
My MS2 cuts in also. If I am wearing a vest, it is fine. If I'm running a t-shirt, it cuts in after a short while. I have larger traps, so it's not as bad for me on the neck if I have a lighter/shorter rifle like my 7.5". If I have a heavier rifle like my 11.5" boat anchor, or my 18" SPR, I can definitely feel it digging.
We run single-point slings on our squad car M4LEs, but they're the bungee kind that suck. I have been considering getting a black Magpul MS3 for my work rifle. i like the rifle to be held higher on my chest and with no stretch in the sling. In terms of single-point slings, the MS2 and MS3 are definitely the best I've ever used. If I had a black MS2 already (my MS2 is tan), I would not upgrade to the MS3. However, I don't, so I'll likely pick up a black one for my work rifle.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-27-2012, 05:17 PM   #473
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
My MS2 cuts in also. If I am wearing a vest, it is fine. If I'm running a t-shirt, it cuts in after a short while. I have larger traps, so it's not as bad for me on the neck if I have a lighter/shorter rifle like my 7.5". If I have a heavier rifle like my 11.5" boat anchor, or my 18" SPR, I can definitely feel it digging.
We run single-point slings on our squad car M4LEs, but they're the bungee kind that suck. I have been considering getting a black Magpul MS3 for my work rifle. i like the rifle to be held higher on my chest and with no stretch in the sling. In terms of single-point slings, the MS2 and MS3 are definitely the best I've ever used. If I had a black MS2 already (my MS2 is tan), I would not upgrade to the MS3. However, I don't, so I'll likely pick up a black one for my work rifle.
I've got the MS3 in Black and FDE in order to accecorize correctly with the rifle that I'm using at the time. Unfortunately, I'll be using the 16" so it's certainly not lightweight. I may just go to Walmart to find a hand towel in FDE and have my wife sew it up to use as a pad if I find necessary.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:54 PM   #474
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Hey guys-

I'm going to try and trade/sell my M&P 15 Sport. I've got an ad on arfcom about it; I'm wondering if my terms are reasonable.

M&P 15 Sport with original box, paperwork, etc., magpul moe handgrip and CTR stock. All original parts included. Rifle has less than 100 rounds through it.

My cash price is $700 for everything. Here's how I break it down. Rifle is ~$650, stock is $95, grip is $20. If bought online, add shipping and transfer fee ($50-$60); if bought in store, pay sales tax (~$45). So total in the rifle is anywhere from $800-815. The way I figure it, its mint and comes with quality parts and all the original stuff. That's over $1/round in depreciation.

My trade terms are the complete rifle package for an Aimpoint micro and a Geissele SD-C, SD-E, SD-3G trigger. I realize those parts wont likely be new; used is fine.

Do these terms seem reasonable to you guys? I've had lots of interest, but no one has the right deal yet. One guy locally offered me $600 for the whole package and I promptly told him to fvck off.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #475
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Just my opinion, but a cash price around $650 would probably get you a faster sale. The tax and or transfer fee is a sunk cost, and won't be taken into consideration buy a buyer. The CTR stock can now be purchased for $75 new, and I wouldn't consider the grip in the price at all.

Like you said, the Sports are going for around $650 new, and you are going to have to take money off that because it's used (even if only slightly).

Just my opinion of course....
Old 03-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #476
Reedo302

You can try it at $700, but drop it if you don't get any takers. When it comes to used rifles, people want deals. I think Serbonze is on the right track with the price.

Glock Armorer

Old 03-27-2012, 09:25 PM   #477
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:

Reedo, I have a black MS2. I was thinking about going with the coyote tan. Trade perhaps?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:50 PM   #478
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Thanks for the feedback guys; I'll post it up at $700 and drop it if I have to.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #479
speedcrazy1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys; I'll post it up at $700 and drop it if I have to.
the area really is what matters. I personally watched a guy buy that same rifle for 350 used. Not saying you should ask that, but don't be surprised if you walk into an empty room at 700. Personally 600 is the lowest I would go; but I;m like that lol. GLWS.

-Phil
Old 03-28-2012, 01:41 PM   #480
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcrazy1532 View Post
the area really is what matters. I personally watched a guy buy that same rifle for 350 used. Not saying you should ask that, but don't be surprised if you walk into an empty room at 700. Personally 600 is the lowest I would go; but I;m like that lol. GLWS.

If you can't sell it at or above that, save it and slap on a new upper. The only thing better than one AR is two ARs.

Glock Armorer