E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #41
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
NICE. More companies that make billet lowers are going to those threaded pins for the bolt catch, as well as other parts. I like that, as the bolt catch roll pin is a bitch.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:38 PM   #42
Reedo302

Okay, so here is a list I decided to throw together for all you people who want to build your own ARs and want the tools to do it.
I have put together a BASIC list, and an ADVANCED list. The basic list is a bare minimum of pieces I feel you would need for putting parts together only. The advanced list is for advanced installations, as well as maintenance, upkeep, and advanced armoring services.

BASIC Kit:
Armorer's Bench Block $16.99 (you can cheap out and use 4x4x2" piece of wood if you want)
Gunsmith nylon/brass hammer $19.99
Armorer wrench $29.49
Upper receiver/lower receiver vise blocks $45.00
Front pivot pin installation tool $15.99
Roll Pin Punch set (1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 5/32) $13.99
Bolt Catch Pin Punch (shaved) $15.99
Kroil $9.99
Allen/hex wrench set $6
Vise $79.97
Torque Wrench - ft/lbs (1/2" drive) $79.99
Total: $333.39

ADVANCED Kit (all of the BASIC, plus the following):

Flat Pin Punch - 1/16 $4.99
Flat Pin Punch - 3/32 $4.99
Flat Pin Punch - 1/8 $4.99
Gas Tube Pin Punch $5.99
Nail Setter Punch - 3/32 (for FSB taper pins) $1.94
Center Punch - 5/32 (for staking carrier key/castle nut) $7.99
Gas Tube Wrench $22.99
Carbon Scraper $22.99
Bolt Tail Radius Scraper $19.99
Gas Key Staking Tool $70.99
Needle File - Flat/Fine (for removing staking burrs) $7.10
Bolt Ejector Takedown Tool $44.99
Snap Ring Pliers (for your delta ring) $15.99
A1 or A2 Sight Wrench $8.99
Roll Pin Holder Set $49.99
.223 Broken Shell Extractor $19.99
5.56mm Headspace "FIELD" Gauge $16.99
5.56mm GO/NO-GO Headspace Gauges (not needed, but nice to have) $57.60
Firing Pin Protrusion Gauge $35.99
Chamber Mirror $14.99
Needle Oiler bottle (for the Kroil) $11.99
Front Sight Base bench block $39.99
Magazine Feed Lip Gauge $59.99
Barrel Nut Alignment Gauge $5.99
Torque Wrench - in/lbs $79.99
Brownells CAR-15/M4 Buttstock Wrench $79.99

Glock Armorer

Old 08-03-2011, 11:43 PM   #43
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
I've been wanting to build a 4th AR, but I have yet to shoot my third build.

And I've been itching for an AK, so by starting another build will just put me that much farther back because then I'll have to finish it. :/
Old 08-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #44
Rush4theYehO

My Ride: XI fts(now)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-TK View Post
I've been wanting to build a 4th AR, but I have yet to shoot my third build.

And I've been itching for an AK, so by starting another build will just put me that much farther back because then I'll have to finish it. :/
Do an AK47/74 build. I'm tempted to...kind of like my LA earthquake SHTF gun.
Rush4theYehO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:34 AM   #45
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Anyone have an opinions on the Spikes Battle Trigger vs the RRA 2 stage trigger...wish I could try them both out but I don't think i'll really be able too. Was looking at picking up RRA lower parts kit w/ 2 Stage Trigger or Spikes Enhanced parts kit with Battle Trigger in FDE.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #46
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Anyone have an opinions on the Spikes Battle Trigger vs the RRA 2 stage trigger...wish I could try them both out but I don't think i'll really be able too. Was looking at picking up RRA lower parts kit w/ 2 Stage Trigger or Spikes Enhanced parts kit with Battle Trigger in FDE.
Are you having issues with your current mil-spec trigger, or building a SPR?
Old 08-04-2011, 11:19 AM   #47
Reedo302

Those two triggers are a bit different. The Battle Trigger is basically a mil-spec single stage trigger setup. It breaks from 5-9lbs on average, which is the same as a mil-spec trigger (avg break on those is ~7lbs). They do say that the average is in the 5-6lb range, which is better than the 7lb average of the mil-spec setup. I would take this over the RRA 2-stage any day of the week.
On the other hand, the RRA 2-stage trigger is a match trigger designed for National Match competition. In general, I recommend staying away from 2-stage triggers for anything other than precision applications. The trigger tail is not very robust, and breaks are very common with moderate to heavy use. Also, at $120 it is an expensive investment for a part that tends to lack durability. I would stay away from most 2-stage triggers.
If you want a lighter 2-stage, the only trigger worth buying is one of the Geissele setups. Look into the SSA Combat Trigger, Enhanced SSA-E, or the Super Dynamic versions of both. They range from $170-225. They are beefed up and far more reliable and durable.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #48
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Are you having issues with your current mil-spec trigger, or building a SPR?
Currently don't have a trigger just doing research and buying right now. But I was looking at lower parts kits and triggers. But if Spikes Battle comp trigger is nicer than the one that comes with their standard parts trigger i don't want to regret not upgrading it from the beginning. I'd rather buy everything right the first time and have my perfect rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Those two triggers are a bit different. The Battle Trigger is basically a mil-spec single stage trigger setup. It breaks from 5-9lbs on average, which is the same as a mil-spec trigger (avg break on those is ~7lbs). They do say that the average is in the 5-6lb range, which is better than the 7lb average of the mil-spec setup. I would take this over the RRA 2-stage any day of the week.
On the other hand, the RRA 2-stage trigger is a match trigger designed for National Match competition. In general, I recommend staying away from 2-stage triggers for anything other than precision applications. The trigger tail is not very robust, and breaks are very common with moderate to heavy use. Also, at $120 it is an expensive investment for a part that tends to lack durability. I would stay away from most 2-stage triggers.
If you want a lighter 2-stage, the only trigger worth buying is one of the Geissele setups. Look into the SSA Combat Trigger, Enhanced SSA-E, or the Super Dynamic versions of both. They range from $170-225. They are beefed up and far more reliable and durable.

I'm not going to be shooting any national competitions anytime soon and this will be for paper punching for 50-200 yards (what i have easy access too 99% of the time). So it sounds like a good single stage trigger would be my best bet.

Thanks for the input...i've been trying to read and read as much as possible about AR builds and WTF i want but it's going to be a long learning process. I did find somebody local that will help me build the whole rifle which should help me learn a lot and won't have to buy all the tools as well
Old 08-06-2011, 02:03 PM   #49
Reedo302

Noveske has a new Gen4 billet lower receiver.
I'm thinking that this is my next lower.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-06-2011, 02:13 PM   #50
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Thats a lower. Finish looks awesome.

I can't decide if I want to go Foliage green/black or OD green/black for my AR. been researching stocks and grips all morning at work. I have a feeling im going to buy lots of sh!t i don't need but just want lol. This is going to be lots of fun though.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:19 PM   #51
Reedo302

FWIW, this is what foliage green/black looks like:
(the dirty chest rig behind it is OD green for comparison)

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 08-06-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #52
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I've been leaning towards foliage green because of your pictures and this one, i've also been reading about stock your using and the magpul one below, both probably way more then I need but I like them haha. BTW what buis are you using? I know its not foliage green but the only foliage green buis i can find are the magpul ones.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:09 PM   #53
Reedo302

I really like the Magpul UBR stock. I'm trying to figure out a rifle to stick that on.

The sights are Troy BUIS. They're pretty good sights. They were black when I got them, but I painted them with what was left of my green camo spray paint. I thought it was OD green, but it turned out to be leaf green and looked like ass. I went to Home Depot and got some Krylon camo OD green paint and resprayed, and the sights actually are pretty damned close to the foliage green color.
I also painted the light and mount to match.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 08-06-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:04 PM   #54
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Decisions Decisions Decisions haha...so much to decide and buy. Figured in a few months though I'll have my dream rifle(mine as well do it right the first time). In the mean time the M&P 15-22 should keep me occupied while buying for this build.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #55
Reedo302

Quote:
Decisions Decisions Decisions haha...so much to decide and buy. Figured in a few months though I'll have my dream rifle(mine as well do it right the first time). In the mean time the M&P 15-22 should keep me occupied while buying for this build.
I know what you mean. I have learned a lesson from building, though. If you see something you really want online, buy it. I have held off on several occasions, only to find out that when I decided to finally pull the trigger, the item was out of stock and on backorder.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #56
Chris-TK

I have a UBR on my 16" midlength build. It's by far the heaviest of my rifles.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #57
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Wish I could multi quote on my phone but oh well.

I know I'm going to just start buying stuff haha. I just look into everything way to much. I still haven't decided on a lpk or trigger...read about a 10 page thread on triggers and was looking at jp but your supposed to use different springs for different ammo(mil surplus vs big name vs hand loads) which seems like a pain in the ass. A standard trigger or spikes is more then I need just have a feeling when I shoot a nicer lighter trigger I'll want it. I like short triggers on my pistol(p226 with srt trigger).

Chris how do you like the ubr stock? I know its heavy, which I dont think I'll necessarily mind.

Still up in the air with od green vs foliage green vs fde. Fml right now lol. Feel bad for my gf having to listen to me bitch about all my decisions haha.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 08-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #58
Reedo302

Quote:
I know I'm going to just start buying stuff haha. I just look into everything way to much. I still haven't decided on a lpk or trigger...read about a 10 page thread on triggers and was looking at jp but your supposed to use different springs for different ammo(mil surplus vs big name vs hand loads) which seems like a pain in the ass. A standard trigger or spikes is more then I need just have a feeling when I shoot a nicer lighter trigger I'll want it. I like short triggers on my pistol(p226 with srt trigger).

Chris how do you like the ubr stock? I know its heavy, which I dont think I'll necessarily mind.
I have a JP adjustable trigger on my SPR, and it breaks exactly at 3.5lbs. It's a great single stage trigger for precision use. I do load my own rounds for the SPR, though. I would never use that trigger setup for a combat/duty/training rifle, however. It has a very short travel with virtually no take-up and a very light reset. Not exactly the ideal trigger for non-precision applications. JP triggers are nice for precision and competition, but I would otherwise stay away from them. If you want an aftermarket trigger, the Spikes Combat or Mega Tactical triggers are less expensive triggers that you can benefit from without dropping the $170 for a high-end trigger like the Geissele triggers.
Personally, my next build (16" DMR build) will have a Geissele Super Dynamic Combat Trigger. I got my hands on a Geissele last month for a little bit, and those are SMOOOOOOTH.

As for the UBR, that stock is designed to be heavier to counter-balance the rifle. If you have a longer barrel and you have a heavier match type barrel like a Noveske stainless or the BCM SS410, the UBR will give you better balance to move the COG point further back. For lighter rifles, the UBR makes it ass-end heavy, which some people like for better/faster barrel swinging while transitioning between targets, but I know some people don't like it like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpul.com
http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG330/86

Specifications**

* UBR Collapsible Butt Stock (w/ Rubber Butt-Pad, 0.30")
o Weight, Stock: 1.46 lb.
o Weight, w/ Entry Receiver Extension: 1.63 lb.
o Length, Stock: 8.00-11.36 in.
o LOP Adjustment: 7-Position (0.56 in. / position)
o LOP Adjustment Range: 3.36 in.
o LOP, Collapsed (M4/M16): 11.10 in.
o LOP, Extended (M4/M16): 14.46 in.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-07-2011, 12:01 AM   #59
Chris-TK

Quote:
Wish I could multi quote on my phone but oh well.

Still up in the air with od green vs foliage green vs fde. Fml right now lol. Feel bad for my gf having to listen to me bitch about all my decisions haha.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

It does add balance to the rifle, but not sure if it's worth it. I do love the futuristic battle rifle look of it too. My newest build has an Ace ARFX skeleton stock...the total other end of the spectrum. LOL
Old 08-09-2011, 11:50 PM   #60
Reedo302

For those that don't know all of the military lingo or acronyms common with rifles and weaponry, this should give a good idea of things that often get referred to when talking about ARs and battle rifles.

Nomenclature for Weapon Names:
The general nomenclature the military uses for firearms is heavily dependent upon the branch of service that either developed the weapon, or that uses the weapon. Sometimes there will be some overlap where all branches will use a designation, and other times they will use their own.
Mk Weapons: The biggest differentiation between weapons is the M vs Mk designation. Mk, or "Mark", means Make or Version. Mk is used in Navy nomenclature for most of their weapons and equipment that have been developed for their usage. The first model to be put into service will be the Mk* Mod0. Mod0 means Modification 0, or the no modification/first model. When an update, retrofit, or change is made, they will then change the nomenclature to Mod1, with all subsequent variants being Mod2, Mod3, etc successively. In most cases, the Mk designation is used only by the Navy, with some used by the Marine Corps (USMC).
M Weapons: The "M" designation originated with Army use, but is used for all weapons and items issued through the Army, USAF and USMC. Whenever a variant or modification is developed, there will be an alphanumeric designation after the original nomenclature, which otherwise would not be there. If a weapon is an M1, then the original version is simply the "M1". The first variant will be A1, making it M1A1. Variant 2 would A2, #3 would A3, etc. The Army has also adopted a naming profile for variants that use "E", such as E1, E2, etc. The E is supposedly for "Enhanced", meaning that the weapon has been drastically altered and enhanced from its original version.

OverLap:
Sometimes branches will continue to use the designation developed by the other branches. Here are some examples:
-M14 and M21 in the Army and USAF are based off of the M14/M1A platform. However, the Navy and Marine Corps use Mk14s, which are the same weapon.
-The Navy developed the Mk12 rifle. This is the designation used across the whole military.
-The Army developed the M16s and M4s. Everyone who uses those rifles calls them that. Branches will use different models, though, like the full-auto M4A1 in lieu of the burst-fire M4.
-The Marine Corps developed the M40 series of rifles, and the Navy uses them and also calls the M40s.
-Navy and USMC use Mk11s, Army and USAF use M110s

XM Weapons/Ammunition: XM can mean either "Experimental" or "Rejected". In terms of weapons, as well as new ammo in development, XM means Experimental. This is the designator used prior to it getting it's permanent nomenclature. XM means experimental when in use by the military. In terms of weapons and ammunition that are not in circulation or use by the military and only available on the civilian side, such as XM193 or XM855, "X" denotes that the lot was rejected by the military. The military has rejected that component for whatever reason during an inspection because it did not meet inspection criteria. In most cases, rejection is caused by cosmetic issues. The way to differentiate XMs is to determine if it's military use, or civilian use.

AR Type Weapons

Mk18 Mod0: This is a variant of the M4A1 developed by SOCOM and NAVSPECWARGRU at the Naval Surface Warfare Center, Crane Division (often referred to as NSWC-Crane or Crane NAV/SEA). The Mk18 Mod0 took the full-auto M4A1 lower and added a 10.3" barrel, A2 front sight post (FSP), and the Knight Arms RAS rail. The 10.3" barrel was developed for Close Quarters Battle (CQB) use in urban environments, as well as on ships and oil platforms. The Army has named this as the M4CQBR (M4 Close Quarters Battle Rifle).
The typical configuration/build list of the Mk18 was:
Colt upper
Colt BCG
Colt 10.3" barrel
A2 FSP/gas block
KAC flash suppressor
KAC M4 QD sound suppressor
KAC RAS forend
Rear BUIS
M4A1 or upgraded M16A1 lower
tan SOPMOD or other issued stock
CQD sling attachment plate
black A2 grip
FDE SpecterDR, Comp M4, or other issued sight
Insight or any other issued white light
PEQ-15

Mk18 Mod1: This is the second iteration of the CQBR, and it was modified to have a Mk12 low-profile gas block, a free floated 9.5" railed forend and no front sight post. The major change was with the railed handguard and deletion of the FSP. The Navy went away from a KAC (Knight Arms) RAS rail to a free floated rail from Daniel Defense. The front sight became a KAC flip-up BUIS (back-up iron sight). The newest models are actually Daniel Defense models.
(sorry, this Airsoft pic was the best one out there)

Mk12 Mod0:
The Mk12 Mod0 took an M16A4 and replaced the barrel and forend with new components to make it a precision sniper rifle, heavily using components from Precision Reflex Inc (PRI), A.R.M.S. and Ops Inc. The 18" barrel is a match grade stainless steel barrel with a heavy contour and 1:7 twist rate. It is equipped with a PRI front gas block that utilizes an integrated folding front sight. The front flash suppressor is an Ops Inc muzzle brake with an additional collar that is set back behind the brake. This collar allows the attachment of a suppressor. The handguard selected was a PRI GenIII carbon fiber free floated forearm tube. The top rail used was an ARMS #36 SWAN Sleeve rail that bolted on top of the upper receiver rail and provided an uninterrupted mounting surface along the top length of the receiver and handguard. This rifle was designed for SEALs to use for precision target engagement at distance, while still maintaining the lighter platform of the AR. The rifles are designed to shoot a 77gr Sierra MatchKing HPBT match bullet, denoted as the Mk262 Mod0/Mod1 rounds. The Mk12 Mod0 was originally equipped with the Leupold Mark4 MR/T 3-9x36 Illuminated M2 scope.

Mk12 Mod1: This rifle was updated to use a fully railed free float handguard while eliminating the front sight. The barrel and muzzle brake stayed the same, but the handguard was switched to a KAC (Knight Arms) RAS rail. A steel low-profile gas block was utilized. Later models were updated with an adjustable gas block for use with suppressors to enhance reliable functioning. Later models were also equipped with collapsible stocks in lieu of the fixed A2 stock. The Leupold was eventually replaced by the NightForce NXS Compact 2.5-10x24. The Mk12 was originally designed for use with the SEALs, but the USMC began using it as well. Eventually, the US Army Rangers picked up on it since they are such a mobile force, they wanted a lighter sniper rifle system.

Mk11 Mod0/1: A 7.62x51mm NATO chambered precision rifle produced by Knight Armament Company (KAC, Knight Arms), based on their SR25 platform. It has a 20" Obermeyer match grade barrel and was designed for use with the US Navy Seals. It is also used by the USMC MEU(SOC). It had a free-floated KAC RAS handguard and flip-up BUIS. The rifle was originally equipped with a Leupold Mark4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 scope, which was later replaced by the Schmidt&Bender PMII 3-12x50 SSDS scope.
M110: This is the US Army variant of the SR25 platform, and is almost identical to the Mk11 system. The M110 uses a different stock which has an adjustable length of pull, and it has the updated KAC URX free-float rail, which offers an uninterrupted top rail from the receiver to the end of the handguard. There is no gap over the barrel nut like there is with the RAS. The M110 is issued with the Leupold Mark4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 M2 Illuminated TMR dark earth scope.

Mk20 SSR (Sniper Support Rifle): The Mk20 is the new replacement for the Mk11 system within the Navy and USMC. It is based on the Mk17/SCAR-H/SCAR17 platform, but utilizes a heavier 20" target barrel and a longer rail system. It has a non-folding fully adjustable precision stock. This rifle is ultra reliable and rugged, and had exhibited greater accuracy than the Mk11.

M4: 14.5" barrel carbine, 1:7 twist rate, flattop upper receiver with detachable carry handle, collapsible buttstock, and semi and 3rd burst fire control
M4A1: Same as M4 but with semi and full auto fire control
M16A1: 20" barrel with 1:12" twist rate, semi/full auto fire control, and fixed carry handle upper receiver, fixed stock
M16A2: 20" barrel with 1:9" twist rate, semi/3rd burst fire control, and fixed carry handle upper receiver with updated rear sight assembly, redesigned fixed stock
M16A4: 20" barrel with 1:9" twist rate, semi/3rd burst, and flattop upper receiver with detachable carry handle (like the M4), and KAC RAS free float rail, fixed stock
M16A5: Similar to A4 but utilizes a new collapsible buttstock instead of the fixed A2 stock. Basically an M4 with a longer barrel.
M16A4 DM-R: An M16A4 modified with a heavy fluted stainless steel barrel with 1:7 twist. This was developed by the US Army Marksmanship Unit (AMU) and they currently are issuing this to Army designated marksmen/squad designated marksmen. The AMU actually has a training course for this rifle for Army DMs/SDMs, and experienced CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) volunteers actually assist with the training.

AR Rifle Roles

Close Quarters Battle (CQB): These are carbines that are designed for close-quarters or urban use. They typically have short barrels of 16" or less, with preferred lengths being in the 10.3" to 14.5" range. CQB rifles are equipped with either iron sights or rapid-acquisition reflexive sights like holographic electronic sights (EOTech), red dot sights (RDS) (Aimpoint, TriPower), or reflex sights (Trijicon Reflex, CMORE). These rifles are often configured with accessories designed for CQB use, like lights, railed forends for accessories, laser aiming modules, vertical foregrips, etc. CQB rifles utilize muzzle devices that reduce muzzle rise and recoil, which enables faster follow-up shots during rapid engagement.

Designated Marksman Rifle/Role, Squad Designated Marksman Rifle/Role (DMR, SDMR): DMR and SDMR rifles are designed for intermediate to longer range accuracy, while still maintaining usability in urban and CQB environments. DM and SDM rifles typically have medium to longer barrels, ranging from 14.5" to 20". The ideal barrel length for this platform is 16" for a carbine setup, and 20" for a rifle setup. DM/SDM rifles can be equipped with standard milspec barrels, but it is preferable to equip them with heavier match grade barrels with faster twist rates of 1:7" or 1:8" in order to fire better quality match bullets, like the 62gr Mk318 SOST rounds. DM/SDM personnel are expected to fill the role of a sniper in times when one isn't available, in order to act in an overwatch or counter-sniper role. It's best to think of them as "field expedient snipers". As a result, DM/SDM rifles must be capable of accurately engaging targets out to ranges greater than what normal rifle configurations are designed to hit. The general range for standard rifles is 300m (USMC trains to 500m, but the hits at that range are not exceptionally accurate with iron sights or RDS systems). DM/SDM rifles are able to fill the gap in the 300m-500m range with more accurate directed fire. Ranges from 500m-800m are also not out of the question when absolutely necessary, but the rounds begin to lose effectiveness past 500m-600m. DM/SDM rifles are equipped with magnified optics. The most common optic is the 4x Trijicon ACOG, with other power ACOGs being available. Additional options include the SpectreDR 1x/4x and 1.5x/6x sights, as well as various 1-4x, 1.5-5x and 1.5-6x scopes. Because shots are often made under direct fire combat conditions at multiple ranges, it is preferred for the optics to have a ballistic range compensating reticle tailored to the load being used, or one that is close enough to be effective without the need to alter the elevation or windage of the scope. A secondary non-magnified sight can be affixed to the weapon or optic to enhance the capability in CQB conditions. These are known as "stacked optics". There are new "short-dot" scopes in the 1-4x or 1-8x range that have the ability to change between a 1x red dot sight to a magnified optic. These scopes work well for a DMR setup.

Special Purpose Rifle (SPR): SPRs are precision rifles designed to engage targets at intermediate to long distances, and are typically employed by trained snipers. SPRs in 5.56mm are designed to accurately engage targets out to ~900m using heavy match loads like the 77gr Mk262 variants, as well as the new experimental 82gr PRL. An SPR will be equipped with a longer match grade heavy barrel, with typical lengths ranging between 18"-20". The ideal barrel length is 18", which gives optimal accuracy while still keeping the weight down. SPRs are thus much less cumbersome than typical sniper rifles due to this lighter weight and shorter barrel. The barrel should be in 1:7" or 1:8" twist in order to stabilize the heavy rounds for long range flight. SPRs are typically 1MOA to sub-MOA accurate. They have free-float handguards, utilize muzzle devices designed to reduce recoil and light flash, and have folding sights that do not obstruct the field of view of the optics. It is ideal for SPRs to use Intermediate or Rifle length gas systems, which makes for a smoother gas cycle. The handguards should be free-floated and capable of either having rails attached, or should have integral Picatinny rails for mounting a bipod, as well as other accessories like a laser module and backup iron sights. The optic should be a variable-power magnified scope in with a top-end power level 9-12x. Most SPR scopes are typically of the 2.5-8x, 3-9x, 3.5-10x, or 2.5-10x range. There are other acceptable scopes to use like a 3-12x, 1.5-8x, 2-12x, or 1.8-10x from various vendors. Short-Dot scopes in the 1-8x range are also very effective in this category. The idea is to have sufficient magnification on the top end, but have a very low number for the bottom-end to allow the most field of view for close range shots.

Semi-Auto Sniper System (SASS):
The SASS is essentially the same as an SPR, but is of a heavier caliber. SASS rifles typically are 7.62NATO (.308) caliber, and should be equipped with barrels between 18"-22". Ideal length is either 18" or 20". SASS rifles are designed with accuracy up to 800m mind, though they are 1000m capable when using the M118LR 175gr BTHP ammunition.

Battle Rifle: Battle rifles are combat rifles and carbines that are chambered in heavier calibers like 7.62NATO. They can fill a CQB role, but more often fit into the DMR/SDMR category. They are designed to offer better performance at long range while still being capable of CQB employment. When operating in wide open terrain like in mountainous areas where shots will often be at extended ranges, this is the ideal weapon system. Battle Rifles can be equipped like CQB rifles, but really come to life when equipped like DMR/SDMR setups with low or moderate powered scopes in the 4-8x range. Optimal scopes include the Trjicon 5.5x50 ACOG TA55A, Trijicon 6x48 ACOG TA648, Elcan SpectreDR 1.5x/6x, USO SN-4 1.5-6x, Leupold Mk4 MR/T 1.5-5x, Weaver Tactical 1-5x24, the short-dot 1-8x scopes, or any of the 1-4x scopes. These rifles can fill multiple roles and work well in combat roles using standard BALL ammunition like the 150gr M80, or be used for precision by switching to heavier precision rounds like the 175gr M118LR.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 08-10-2011 at 12:53 PM.