E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-14-2012, 01:25 PM   #621
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Buffer detents are basically all the same. I have yet to ever see one from any manufacturer have issues as a result of spec issues. If you don't want to give DPMS your money, you can get a High Standard:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0...=buffer_detent

or Del-Ton:
http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Buffer_Detent_p/lp1046.htm

or a Barnes Precision Machine:
http://www.usamade-ar15parts.com/Buffer-Detent-p/bd.htm
Went with the high standard from Brownells. Got suckered into doing that $20 for $40 at Brownells through Gearhog. I never realized that Brownells is a decent bit higher than everyone else.

-Phil
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #622
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Yeah, Brownells is expensive. Their "LE" prices are what normal commercial outlets charge.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #623
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Or c&r dealer account makes brownells about the same as everywhere else then stacked with their coupons it's good for certain things.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #624
speedcrazy1532

My Ride: is over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Or c&r dealer account makes brownells about the same as everywhere else then stacked with their coupons it's good for certain things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Yeah, Brownells is expensive. Their "LE" prices are what normal commercial outlets charge.
I kind of already knew this but wasn't privy that some things are almost double. Ended up getting the pin and 2 more mags for my GSG 522SD which I badly needed. There was something else on there that I already forget lol.

Edit: It was an AR mag with CS spring for 10 bucks.

They also ship super fast. The order is already at my door and i ordered yesterday afternoon.

-Phil

Last edited by speedcrazy1532; 06-15-2012 at 02:25 PM.
speedcrazy1532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #625
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

If anybody is looking or knows somebody looking for a 4 moa aimpoint t1 in ggg accu mount I have an leo buddy going through a divorce looking to sell it for $500 shoot me a pm
Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #626
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Those of you that visit this thread may recall me going back and forth trying to figure out how to move forward with my different AR builds. I finally made some tough decisions, and came to the conclusion that if I continue to take classes I want to have battle tested gear, and "good enough" is no longer a phrase that I want to say. I also just received my tax stamp for my SBR. So....here is what I came up with.

BCM 16" Mid-Length upper
Centurion C4 12" Rail
BattleComp 2.0
BCM Mod 4 CH
Eotech XPS2-0
Troy BUIS
Magpul MOE Stock
Complete BCM Lower
Magpul MOE Grip
Spikes BCG

Bottom
BCM 11.5" Hammer Forged Upper
Daniel Defense 10" Lite Rail
BattleComp 2.0
BCM Mod 4 CH
Eotech XPS2-0
Magpul MBUS
Magpul CTR Stock
Quentin Defense Billet Lower
Daniel Defense LPK
Magpul MOE+ Grip
BCM BCG
KNS Pins (I know that there is controversy over these, but they were on sale from Primary Arms ($18 ) and they can't hurt. With the money and time that it into this SBR lower, I figured it was worth it for the added protection.

Closer look at the new SBR:

I originally used Eotech sights because with each Aimpoint that I tried, the reticle looked like a big red blob. However, I tried another at my last class and it was crystal clear. I'm really tempted to pick one up and try it on the SBR, which would put it well under seven pounds!

Anyway, thanks for looking.

Last edited by Serbonze; 06-21-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:28 PM   #627
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Sweeeeeeeeet

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 07:54 PM   #628
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Those of you that visit this thread may recall me going back and forth trying to figure out how to move forward with my different AR builds. I finally made some tough decisions, and came to the conclusion that if I continue to take classes I want to have battle tested gear, and "good enough" is no longer a phrase that I want to say. I also just received my tax stamp for my SBR. So....here is what I came up with.
Words to live by for anyone who wants to be serious about training. This will put you ahead of the curb beyond those who still think that "good enough" really is good enough.

Excellent setups!

Glock Armorer

Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #629
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Thank you, that means a lot coming from you.

I am supposed to meet someone today to sell one of my Spikes Tactical uppers, and I will end up selling the other as well. I've only taken out the 16" BCM to the range once to sight it in, and I couldn't get the bolt to lock back using Wolf. I understand that this is a known issue since it is gassed for XM193, but I was also using an H buffer (I forgot my carbine buffer at home so I couldn't test it). The carbine buffer may be lighter by just enough to get the bolt to lock back. I also threw in a White Sprinco spring. I'm going back to the range on Sunday, so I'll test out all of the different combinations.

I will also try to dial in the SBR, which is starting out with an H2 buffer and Blue Sprinco spring. I don't have a Red spring or an H3, so I'll see what happens. The VLTOR A5 system intrigues me as well, since it will ultimately be suppressed.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #630
Reedo302

I'm running an H2 and red Sprinco on my 11.5", and it works just fine. If I were running a blue spring, I doubt my performance would be any different. The same with if I were running the red spring and went down to a standard H buffer. I think where you're at will be just fine. If you do wind up getting problems from the suppressor, my vote would be to try the red spring first before spending $40 on an H3 buffer, or $110 on a VLTOR A5 kit.
Interestingly enough, Wolfshit (and other Combloc steel) tends to work well in SBRs, but just like with normal carbines, you can't run heavy springs or buffers.

Your Spikes would have been fine, but BCM is superior IMO and you have excellent setups that will last a long time. I think you made a great choice by getting the BFH upper for your SBR too, as SBRs tend to wear out the barrels faster than 14.5" and longer carbines and rifles. I spend so much time on other forums talking to people who think that all of these low end brands really are the same as top name performers like BCM and Daniel Defense, and it's baffling some times what people believe. So many people are emotionally invested into their guns, or they are just oblivious to the sacrifice in quality when the price starts dropping and the company gets more obscure. What I know is really not all that much in the grand scheme of things, and I'm a student like anyone else. The difference between guys like you and me, versus those that intentionally buy lower quality and think it's just as good, is that we learn from other peoples' mistakes so we don't have to be the ones to make them ourselves. To me, this falls into the category of "fight smarter, not harder."

Glock Armorer

Old 06-22-2012, 10:45 AM   #631
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I know there was a post about this awhile ago but I have no idea where it is. Whats the difference between the sprinco spring set ups. I'm in the process of building 2 more rifles and the buffer spring combos are the only place I'm still lousy kind of
first is my sbr:
I wan t to run this thing to hell and back and beat on it when I have time to take classes
Going to have a complete noveske 10.5" upper chf barrel with switchblock and pri gas busting charging handle
NoveskeTroy buis
Str stock
I was planning on running an h2 buffer and colt spring. I will be running this gun suppressed once I get a can. Should I look into the red and blue springs?

2nd gun will be a fun range toy and will be cheaper
Spikes lowe
Vltor imod
Blackhole weaponry 16" ss barrel carbine gas system
Magpul moe handguard
Wmd nib bcg
Pri gas buster Ch
This will be running suppressed too and not sure what buffer/spring to run here either.

Thanks for any input.

On my ss 16" noveske I'm running an h2 and colt spring right now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 06-22-2012, 12:29 PM   #632
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I'm really lazy right now, so I'm just going to cut and paste if you don't mind.

•STANDARD Power Buffer Spring,“WHITE Spring” Equivalent spring load to a “fresh” Mil-Spec M4 Carbine Spring. This spring will perform reliably in any properly configured and maintained 5.56 Carbine, if you wish to maintain the performance of a “fresh” Mil-Spec load spring without concern for replacement. This is the best choice for shooters and purists that wish to maintain the performance of most factory supplied Mil-Spec springs, but do not wish to be concerned with frequent replacement of same or do not have the time or inclination to seek enhanced performance options. The WHITE spring is recommended for 10.0"-11.0" SBR's with H2 Buffers, 1st Gen M&P's, most RRA's, most Colt 6920 LE's, 5.56 & 6.8 SPC 7.5"-8.5" BBL Piston Guns with H2 Buffers, and when training with SRTA and other low power and light charged “budget” rounds. Color Coded WHITE.

•ENHANCED Power Buffer Spring, “BLUE Spring” Offers improved performance with most non-suppressed 12.5"-14.5" SBR's, 16" DI Mid-Length BBLS, and all mid-length uppers with adjustable gas blocks. Best performance is usually achieved using buffers ranging from ST-2T, H2, DPMS Extra Heavy . Will run in 18"+ Length BBL RRA'S with ST-T2 Buffers, and some Colt 6920 LE's. Use of heavier buffers may not be possible with the aforementioned as well as most uppers with light weight carrier groups (VTAC, etc.) Color Coded BLUE.

•Extra Power Buffer Spring, “RED Spring” Best option for 16"+ barrels with carbine length gas system platforms with standard front sight towers and H buffers, 16" + BBL gas piston guns, *some* suppressed shorties, and 9mm. Color Coded RED.

I based my choices on the upper that I'm using. For example, my Spikes Tactical and Smith and Wesson uppers are known to be over-gassed so they can use just about any ammo out there. For that reason, I could use Sprinco Blue and H2 buffers and still allow the bolts to lock back on empty magazines. I never tried an H3 or Red Spring, but I don't see why they wouldn't have worked.

BCM it's tuned to use military spec ammo, thus they have a smaller gas port. For the 16" mid-length I chose to try it with the H buffer and standard spring to start. This weekend I will try a carbine buffer to see if I can get the bolt to lock back on an empty magazine use Wolf ammuntion. If not, I'll go back to the H buffer. For the SBR, I'll start with the H2 buffer and Blue Spring. I'm starting there because through my research, that's where people that I respect in the industry have said to start.

Basically, you want to be able to use the heaviest buffer/spring combination that you can and still get that bolt to lock back.

Last edited by Serbonze; 06-22-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #633
Reedo302

The amount of bolt speed will determine what you need for a spring and buffer configuration as Serbonze pointed out. Rifles designed to shoot milspec 5.56 pressure ammo like BCM, Colt, Knight, Daniel Defense, etc have those smaller gas port holes, thus reducing the amount of gas that gets directed into the gas tube and back into the BCG, so they require less weight in the recoil system. Guns like DPMS, Bushampster, Rock River and similar have larger gas port holes because they design them to shoot the lower pressure .223 ammunition. When you shoot 5.56 out of these rifles (assuming that it's still a 5.56 spec chamber since you can't shoot 5.56 out of a .223Rem SAAMI spec chamber), you are going to over-gas the system and thus need to compensate by increasing the resistance in the recoil system. This is done by heavier springs and buffers.

The best "saftey" setups that generally universally work are based heavily on barrel length and gas system length. When dealing with a midlength 14.5-16" setup, a standard or enhanced "blue" spring will both work. It's recommended that you try an H buffer for that setup. If you have a blue spring, don't go beyond an H buffer. If you have a standard or white, you can go H or step up to an H2. The Spikes ST-T2 is slightly lighter than an H2, and a good compromise.
When you go to a carbine setup in 14.5-16", a standard spring and H buffer is typical fare from most manufacturers and work fine. However, upgrading to either a blue spring or an H2 buffer will smooth things out a little bit.
When you get down below that in the 10.3"-12.5" range for SBRs with carbine systems, you need to run a blue or red spring with at least an ST-T2 or H2. The shorter you go, the more weight you need. By the time you get to 10.3" or 10.5", you should be running at least a red spring and H2 buffer.
There is no "absolute" setup, mind you. It's sort of trial and error for each setup until you find something you like.

Another thing to consider is to ensure that if you are going with an SBR, make sure you have an upgraded extractor spring setup. At the very least you should have a black viton spring insert and a black viton o-ring. Ideally you should also have an extra power 5-coil extractor spring as well. When you start speeding up the timing of the rifle, you need to beef up the extraction because you will be extracting cartridges that have not always sufficiently contracted after firing. The longer the barrel and gas system, the longer it takes to extract the round. When this happens, the cartridge will have enough time to expand while firing, and then contract for easy extraction. As you speed up the system, you will have more cartridge pressure being exerted onto the walls of the chamber creating more friction. An upgraded extractor setup will prevent a failure to extract malfunction; especially if you do not have exactly enough resistance in the recoil system to slow down the BCG during unlock and cycling.
Hopefully that doesn't sound like gibberish.

Glock Armorer

Old 06-23-2012, 08:29 AM   #634
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Adam - you may also want to try and contact each manufacturer to see what they recommend. I emailed Bravo directly and told them the upper and ammunition that I planned on using, and they provided a starting point. I did the same with my Spikes upper.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #635
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Thanks for the helpful replies.. I'll email noveske on their website the full gun ships with an h2 buffer and regular carbine spring. Ill probably end up order a couple different set ups and testing everything out in all my rifles. Should be a good learning experience too.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #636
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Good lord guys, you have any other hobbies? When my LaRue Ar gets in, I'm done with firearms for a long long time. Now I'm sinking all my money into my bike that I just got.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 AM   #637
david05111

This whole talk of buffers and springs got me thinking about my SBR that's about to come in.

Quick review of my setup. Currently have a Colt 6940.

The upper I purchased back in December is a 6940 upper, cut down and re-threaded by ADCO to 12.5 inches. As far as I know, it's the only one that exists. Its a complete Colt upper, including the Colt BCG, etc. Here's a picture of it before I bought it.

When I bought it, the guy said he had no cycling issues, but I'm pretty sure he was using a lower he built and who knows whether it really did or not. I'm planning on throwing my SPR/M4 on it as well so I need it to cycle with and without the can.

Up until this moment, I never even considered swapping out the buffer or spring currently in the lower. What do y'all think? Will I need to switch it up? Or should I just wait and try it out?

Old 06-24-2012, 06:42 AM   #638
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

What buffer/spring combination are you currently using?

Ultimately, it's going to depend on the gas port size that Colt originally used with that 16" barrel, unless the previous owner had ADCO perform some gas port work on it at the same time they cut down the barrel. I like to have all of my options available, so I would order Blue and Red Sprinco buffer springs and an a combination of buffers that you don't already have. I think colt comes with a carbine buffer, so you can order an H and H3. You can pull apart the two and swap out the weights to create an H2 as well, that will save you about $30.

If it was my upper, not knowing anything else about it, I would start with the blue spring and H2 buffer and tune it from there. Load one round in a magazine and fire. If the bolt locks back, you are a happy man. One you get the suppressor, you may have to adjust it again based on the increased gas pressure. I don't think that upper allows you to swap out to an adjustable gas block, does it?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2191604
Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM   #639
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
What buffer/spring combination are you currently using?

Ultimately, it's going to depend on the gas port size that Colt originally used with that 16" barrel, unless the previous owner had ADCO perform some gas port work on it at the same time they cut down the barrel. I like to have all of my options available, so I would order Blue and Red Sprinco buffer springs and an a combination of buffers that you don't already have. I think colt comes with a carbine buffer, so you can order an H and H3. You can pull apart the two and swap out the weights to create an H2 as well, that will save you about $30.

If it was my upper, not knowing anything else about it, I would start with the blue spring and H2 buffer and tune it from there. Load one round in a magazine and fire. If the bolt locks back, you are a happy man. One you get the suppressor, you may have to adjust it again based on the increased gas pressure. I don't think that upper allows you to swap out to an adjustable gas block, does it?

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2191604
Currently using the current buffer/spring that came in the rifle from factory. I haven't taken it apart yet (and don't have it with me at the moment) so I'm not sure. I'd guess that it's probably a standard power spring though.

I asked him specifically if and gas work had been done to it and he said no, that it didn't need it. The guy seems to know his sh1t, based on the amount of time I've known him and he has numerous SBRs. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure I can't throw an adjustable gas block on it; the integrated sights sit right on top of the current block.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:01 PM   #640
Reedo302

All Colt LE6921s come with as standard spring and H buffer. I'm not sure if the 6920 16" model comes the same way though, but I thought it was. I'm sure they would configure to the 20 and 40 series the same way. However, I am prone to thinking that they should be configured the same.

Glock Armorer