E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:53 PM   #801
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Hahaha I would be an EDUCATED one

Seriously though, I have the utmost respect for NYS Troopers. Most I've known have been outstanding officers. That doesn't mean that I don't fear problems when I show up with my full mil-spec rifle with a pre-ban receiver...
I talk to my brother in law all the time who is a canine NY state trooper. I've asked him about it. However he states his specific area don't focus too much and they have had specific training regarding legality of weapons.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #802
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
yea, my rifle is pretty much legal, its my preban 30's i worry about getting hassled over
Can't you just get the date-stamped ones and be done with it?

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #803
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
the ones i have arent date stamped, i suppose i could tho, either way they would still probably give me hell.

as far as i know any mags manufactured after the ban have dates since it really wasnt common practice beforehand

Last edited by Sentaruu; 09-08-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #804
david05111

Hey Reedo-

This upper is for sale on arfcom. I'm hesitant about doing deals on there at the moment because of my current unresolved scam problem, but this looks pretty good. Does this look pretty similar to what you built? No BCG or charging handle though...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1...id_Length.html

Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #805
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Pretty similar. The Troy rail is heavier than the DD rail, but it's still pretty light. Looks like a decent enough setup.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #806
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Hey Reedo-

This upper is for sale on arfcom. I'm hesitant about doing deals on there at the moment because of my current unresolved scam problem, but this looks pretty good. Does this look pretty similar to what you built? No BCG or charging handle though...

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1...id_Length.html
Obviously, I'm not Reedo and you didn't ask my opinion but I'm going to give it to you anyway. I wouldn't buy that upper for two reasons:
1) The gas block was shaved "by a local gunsmith". I would want to inspect his work prior to the purchase.

2) I don't buy anything from anyone that will only accept a Paypal "gift". I've offered to pay the additional
3% fee in order for it not to be a gift. Some guys have responded and said no problem and we made the deal, other guys have flat out refused so I walked away from it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:46 AM   #807
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Obviously, I'm not Reedo and you didn't ask my opinion but I'm going to give it to you anyway. I wouldn't buy that upper for two reasons:
1) The gas block was shaved "by a local gunsmith". I would want to inspect his work prior to the purchase.

2) I don't buy anything from anyone that will only accept a Paypal "gift". I've offered to pay the additional
3% fee in order for it not to be a gift. Some guys have responded and said no problem and we made the deal, other guys have flat out refused so I walked away from it.
I do the same thing with PayPal. If they won't take plus 3% which protects me a little bit then I'm not doing business. I haven't had many people object when I ask them.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #808
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Pretty similar. The Troy rail is heavier than the DD rail, but it's still pretty light. Looks like a decent enough setup.
Ok thanks...not sure I'm going to spring for it, but at least I know.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I do the same thing with PayPal. If they won't take plus 3% which protects me a little bit then I'm not doing business. I haven't had many people object when I ask them.
Of course want opinions from you guys!

Anything that keeps me out of trouble is alright by me. I know paypal has this no-gun thing...does that not apply to parts for them as well?

Last edited by david05111; 09-09-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:14 PM   #809
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Ok thanks...not sure I'm going to spring for it, but at least I know.

Of course want opinions from you guys!

Anything that keeps me out of trouble is alright by me. I know paypal has this no-gun thing...does that not apply to parts for them as well?
You can pay via PayPal with your credit card might give you some added protection from your c.c company and the cc company isn't anti gun purchases
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #810
david05111

Quote:
You can pay via PayPal with your credit card might give you some added protection from your c.c company and the cc company isn't anti gun purchases
Wish I would have thought about doing that with the sig...that's turning into this discouraging black hole for me at the moment.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #811
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Wish I would have thought about doing that with the sig...that's turning into this discouraging black hole for me at the moment.
I got burned like 5 years ago and I'm still pissed...shipped somebody a $500 paintball gun, 45 days later paypal took the $500 out of my account and gave it back saying it was a stolen account, I lost the money and gun I was livid , still am haha
Old 09-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #812
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
You could avoid all this hassle and just purchase from me. haha

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #813
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
After you buy mpoweredm colt here's a middy bcm upper with Troy rail, he's in fl so might be local enough to pick it up in person

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1..._goodies_.html
Old 09-09-2012, 05:20 PM   #814
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
You could avoid all this hassle and just purchase from me. haha
Quote:
After you buy mpoweredm colt here's a middy bcm upper with Troy rail, he's in fl so might be local enough to pick it up in person

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_159/1..._goodies_.html
Haha you guys...

Fact of the matter is that I don't really need the Colt. Beautiful as it is, it would NOT be my first choice for a pre-ban receiver and I just don't need the complete rifle. Others would love that Colt; I want a PWA.

I did see that BCM upper, however. It looks pretty nice. It would be kinda nice to link the BCM lower with a BCM upper like this one and considering this one is all put together, no "build" would really be required. I'm not sure what to make of the setup though...as I say, I want something pretty ultra-light and I just don't know much about the components used to assemble that upper. I need to do more research on these things.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #815
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I'm taking a two day Applied Carbine class this weekend, and just found out that we are going to do an intro to low light shooting too. I never bothered to install a light on my carbine, so now I guess I'm forced to make the decision...

Do I install my Surefire G2X, or try to find something else local to throw on there?

Last edited by Serbonze; 09-10-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #816
david05111

Quote:
I'm taking a two day Applied Carbine class this weekend, and just found out that we are going to do an intro to low light shooting too. I never bothered to install a light on my carbine, so now I guess I'm forced to make the decision...

Do I install my Surefire G2X, or try to find something else local to throw on there?
Well, I was about to suggest that you could borrow mine, but all it is is a G2 as well. I've got a mount and a pressure-switch as well. Let me know if you think it might be helpful

Old 09-10-2012, 03:42 PM   #817
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I agree with Serbonze that an inspection would be in order before buying that upper. At the very least, the rail gets taken off and he takes decent high quality photos for your see the work. It's not hard to do a shave job, but it's easy to screw it up too.

Quote:

Installing the G2X is a good option, but you're going to find that the momentary-on button cap will cause problems when you start manipulating your weapon in low light. If your hand position and shooting platform remains constant, it's not as much of an issue. However, if you change shooting platforms, i.e. moving from standing to kneeling, you will have problems.
It might actually not be a bad thing to run this way so you can get an understanding of the circumstances and get some perspective.

I would recommend that you stick with that light so you can get an understanding of light performance. If you go beyond 25yds, you'll be amazed at what happens with the light, especially if you go prone. I have to revamp my entire light setup.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #818
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Thanks for the offer Dave! I assume that you have used the set-up already, did you have any issues?

My main concern is the lack of a constant-on without manipulating the end cap. I did email the instructor though, and he said that if it ends up being a problem I can use his extra X300. That makes me feel better, to have an alternative, and I can use this class to compare and contrast different lights to make an informed decision on a future purchase.

Last edited by Serbonze; 09-10-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #819
shwagon
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 325it 5-speed
Who is this class being offered through (local/national club)?

I would love to get into some of these especially somthing like shotgun tactics as this is my primary home defense weapon.
My Gun Builds: AR-15, GSG-522-SD, Saiga 308
shwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #820
david05111

Quote:
Thanks for the offer Dave! I assume that you have used the set-up already, did you have any issues?

My main concern is the lack of a constant-on without manipulating the end cap. I did email the instructor though, and he said that if it ends up being a problem I can use his extra X300. That makes me feel better, to have an alternative, and I can use this class to compare and contrast different lights to make an informed decision on a future purchase.

Reed - what are you using now?
Yeah, the constant on is a bit rough. I used to have the light on my 16inch upper; I haven't bothered to put it back on. I mean, they setup works...I've never used it in competition or for a class, but I kept it on the AR for home defense type stuff. I really have no idea whether or not it would have been useful in reality.

Anyway, mine is just a ordinary G2 (65 lumens), not a G2x. I imagine that my end cap, mount, and pressure switch would work on your x if you want to give it a shot. Let me know and I'll get them to you.