E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:45 PM   #901
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
AJ your thoughts on the STR stock? I got it sitting in the closet.... I may switch it out for a CTR....
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #902
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
AJ your thoughts on the STR stock? I got it sitting in the closet.... I may switch it out for a CTR....
I like it a whole lot more then the ctr feeling wise. Haven't shot with it yet. But imo its much more comfortable and feels better. I'm not sure i like the str more then my imod though. I ordered another imod to test on the sbr and decide which to use. I have a ctr stock I'll probably sell.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #903
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I have the EMOD, and I'm looking at getting rid of it for either an STR or ACS-L. EMOD is just too bulky for me.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:24 PM   #904
M3_POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I like it a whole lot more then the ctr feeling wise. Haven't shot with it yet. But imo its much more comfortable and feels better. I'm not sure i like the str more then my imod though. I ordered another imod to test on the sbr and decide which to use. I have a ctr stock I'll probably sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I have the EMOD, and I'm looking at getting rid of it for either an STR or ACS-L. EMOD is just too bulky for me.
Cool man thanks.

Picked up the LaRue today

Started throwing shiet from my S&W onto it. Installed the STR and I love it! The cheek weld is perfect and I lucked out with the fit. The locking lever keeps it tight and has no play.

Anyone have some larue index clips? I only need like 4 or 5 on top of the rail for my thumb. I will compensate for it of course. It would be overkill to buy 72 from Larue....
Old 09-24-2012, 10:25 PM   #905
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Club foot or regular? The str is longer then my imod. I have the non club foot version and it seems to fit me well. The str is growing on me i was just holding it a few minutes ago

Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #906
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Cool man thanks.

Started throwing shiet from my S&W onto it. Installed the STR and I love it! The cheek weld is perfect and I lucked out with the fit. The locking lever keeps it tight and has no play.

Anyone have some larue index clips? I only need like 4 or 5 on top of the rail for my thumb. I will compensate for it of course. It would be overkill to buy 72 from Larue....
There was a guy on arfcom in accessories selling pack of 4-6 index clips
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 PM   #907
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Found it here:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_25/10...iot_Clips.html
Old 09-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #908
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Cool man thanks.

Post pictures man!

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:51 PM   #909
Reedo302

Pics or it didn't happen.

Glock Armorer

Old 09-25-2012, 08:02 PM   #910
M3_POWER

Thanks AJ..... fawk only red, white or blue.... I will just use gloves for the time being....

I will post pics in the upcoming days.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:46 PM   #911
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Club foot or regular? The str is longer then my imod. I have the non club foot version and it seems to fit me well. The str is growing on me i was just holding it a few minutes ago
It's the current model EMOD.

Quote:

PM me your address. I'll take care of ya.

Glock Armorer

Old 09-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #912
04_e46

My Ride: 2004 325ci
does anyone know if the 5.11 VTAC Brokos belt they have on their site (5.11tactical.com) the same belt as the one that Viking Tactical has on their site? thanks!
04_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #913
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_e46 View Post
does anyone know if the 5.11 VTAC Brokos belt they have on their site (5.11tactical.com) the same belt as the one that Viking Tactical has on their site? thanks!
They are not the same.

VTAC Brokos

Here is a thread with a bunch of pics of my VTAC Brokos.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...829&highlight=
Old 09-28-2012, 11:57 PM   #914
04_e46

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Thanks Serbonze!! Are you still running the same set up you posted? (ETA: I added a second Pistol Taco too. So looking down it is: Pistol Taco, Pistol Taco, Rifle Taco, Rifle Taco, Rollypoly, Nalgene, Holster, Hook.)
04_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #915
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04_e46 View Post
Thanks Serbonze!! Are you still running the same set up you posted? (ETA: I added a second Pistol Taco too. So looking down it is: Pistol Taco, Pistol Taco, Rifle Taco, Rifle Taco, Rollypoly, Nalgene, Holster, Hook.)
You're welcome.

I'm running the same basic set up. I moved the Rollypoly one strip over because it was in the small of my back. It was another of those "great concept on paper, poor concept in actual use" discoveries that I made. Laying on your back with the Rollypoly stored, or deployed holding several magazines is not comfortable or safe. I need to play with the Nalgene pouch. I may ditch that all together and replace it with the Gemtech Pouch once my suppressor stamp arrives. Again, great concept on paper but it interfered just a bit while drawing the pistol. I'll probably explore getting another Camelback at some point. I hope that helps!
Old 09-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #916
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Spikes Tactical - three strikes and you are out.

This is my warning to anyone that plans on doing anything other than static bench shooting. Don't buy Spikes Tactical products. The price may be great, but don't be fooled into thinking that the quality is the same as BCM, DD, Colt, etc. They sell thousands and thousands of uppers, lowers, and BCG and I just don't see that the QC is there.

First strike - 16" Mid length upper that was completely over-gassed. The explanation from Spikes is that they want to tune the gas port to allow it to shoot any kind of ammunition. That's great if I'm shooting Tula, but when I'm switching to an H3 buffer and Blue Sprinco Spring and the internals are still getting the snot beat out of them something is wrong. I ended up selling that upper and buying a BCM. Perfectly gassed, hardly any felt recoil, and I can use a Carbine Buffer and Carbine Spring.

Second strike - I purchased a complete 11.5" upper. After waiting five+ months for my tax stamp, I finally mated it to my lower and the rear take down pin would not engage. I sent the upper back to Spikes, and they replaced the upper receiver because it was out of spec. Now, if they did any kind of quality control on that complete upper, how could it have possibly gotten out of the shop like that? Yes, I did try to mate it to a friends registered lower and it would not fit that one either.

Third strike - This morning I had a chance to break down my now 16" BCM mid length after my two day class that was using a Spikes BCG. Guess what? Loose gas key on the carrier.

I'm done with this company. I pulled up the BCM website and promptly ordered a new BCG. Was it more expensive? Sure, it was $159 vs the $109 for the Spikes. My peace of mind in knowing that my fighting carbine is going to always work is worth $50. The Spikes will go back to Spikes Tactical to make them tighten the gas key, and then it will go in the spare parts in.

/rant off

TLDR; Don't buy Spikes, QC just isn't there.

Last edited by Serbonze; 09-29-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #917
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

That sucks with spikes. I have a few of their products and haven't had any issues. I run a spikes nib BCG in my 16" ar with a spikes enhanced LPK and stripped spikes upper. Guess i've been lucky with them. I also run their t2 buffers in a couple rifles and have some of their mil spec buffer tube kits on order. Ill have to keep a close look on everything.

edit: also have 5 stripped lowers on order but I planned on reselling them anyway and picking up a noveske stripped lower or 2.

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 09-29-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #918
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
ok, need opinions.
i have been looking at getting a s&w m&p15ft for a while now, but i am thinking of piecing together one instead.

- VLTOR lower reciever (not sure what to do w/ stocks at this point since it must be ny compliant)
- BCM BFH 16" upper reciever group w/ DD 12" handguard
- BCM (MPI) auto bcg
- bcm gunfighter medium charging handle
- troy front and rear folding battlesights

it will probably be a little more expensive than the S&W but would it be a better rifle?

Last edited by Sentaruu; 09-29-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #919
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

What are you going to use it for? The answer to that question will determine which one is better for you.

It's difficult to compare the two uppers based on the difference in build an accessories (1/8 vs 1/7, MBUS vs Troys, BCM is hammer forged, etc.). The S&W is a good AR, where the BCM is a fighting AR.

I have an M&P15T and its good, but I wouldn't use it in a class.

The BCM is a great upper, but I would take another look at the LaRue rail. It doesn't allow for an uninterrupted top rail, which may cause a problem depending on your choice of optic, and it's heavy.

The FFL that receives the lower should be able to pin the stock for a minimum fee. I think it cost my friend $25.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:22 PM   #920
M3_POWER

Was a beautiful thing shooting her today!

The tolerances of the entire gun are so tight (just as tight as my 1911). Rifle is straight up quality and I'm glad I waited 5 months for her.

Only had time to partially zero the scope. Still have to zero my T-1 and my BUIS.

Since you guys asked, took couple quick pics before I left the range.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 09-29-2012 at 05:34 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote