E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:35 AM   #1001
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
I have a video, but I have no idea how to post it online. I use one LaRue handstop on each AR as an index point, and I typically use a thumb over the top rail grip. Kind of like if you are holding a can of soda and stretching out your arm, with the top of the can pointing at the target. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Serbonze; 10-10-2012 at 08:41 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #1002
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I have a video, but I have no idea how to post it online. I use one LaRue handstop on each AR as an index point, and I typically use a thumb over the top rail grip. Kind of like if you are holding a can of soda and stretching out your arm, with the top of the can pointing at the target. Does that make sense?
So your thumb is perpendicular to the rail? Like this but with your arm further stretched out n the rail?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1349877626.387842.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	473294  

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 10-10-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:48 AM   #1003
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Very similar to that. My four fingers are together though. Does that guy even have an index finger? Weird. I have really long arms, and a long rail, so my left arm is basically straight. My front iron is an index point for my thumb.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #1004
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Very similar to that. My four fingers are together though. Does that guy even have an index finger? Weird. I have really long arms, and a long rail, so my left arm is basically straight. My front iron is an index point for my thumb.
Yeah no idea where his missing finger is. I actually didn't even look at his fingers on the bottom i figured fingers were indexed when i was picturing it in my head. You have the handstop right behind your pinky finger? Sorry I'm trying to dissect your grip haha. How do you like the Laure hand stop? Im thinking about replacing my afgs with them.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-10-2012, 10:36 AM   #1005
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Yup, the handstop is right behind the pinky. It's an index point, and also allows for me to pull the AR into my shoulder. The LaRue handstops have been great. They are very low profile and light weight. I ran a few drills during the last class without it, and it just didn't feel right.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #1006
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Here are the hand stops:

Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 AM   #1007
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
This makes it look like my thumb is on top, but it's resting on the left side, on top of a light. My thumb stays on the left side, and my hand basically holds the rifle the same way that I use it on a pistol for a support hand.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-10-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #1008
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
This makes it look like my thumb is on top, but it's resting on the left side, on top of a light. My thumb stays on the left side, and my hand basically holds the rifle the same way that I use it on a pistol for a support hand.

So your thumb runs close to parallel to the barrel and is pointing down range? I'll have to try both ways and see which I'm more comfortable and shoot better with. Definitely think I'm going to go with the hand stops.

I dropped my sbr off the other day to get cerakoted can't wait to get that back and go shooting.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 10-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #1009
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I kind of switch back and forth between what I described above and Reddo's style. I used to always shoot with the "Reedo Grip" TM until my last class. The instructer suggested the thumb over rail to gain more control while transitioning, and I liked it.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #1010
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Interesting response...I think im going to start phasing out all my Spikes gear, I have their buffers in a couple of my guns though but I guess it's hard to f*ck them up.
Just a quick update for anyone that is interested. They said that the BCG was shipped out on Friday and that I should get it Tuesday (Spikes is only two hours away from me, so UPS is one day delivery). Nothing came yesterday or today, so I called this afternoon. They said that it should be on the way and if I don't see anything g by NEXT Friday that I should give them a call. I asked for a tracking number, and they said that they don't get them?

Hmm...

Two hours later I received an email from UPS with a tracking number. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #1011
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Just a quick update for anyone that is interested. They said that the BCG was shipped out on Friday and that I should get it Tuesday (Spikes is only two hours away from me, so UPS is one day delivery). Nothing came yesterday or today, so I called this afternoon. They said that it should be on the way and if I don't see anything g by NEXT Friday that I should give them a call. I asked for a tracking number, and they said that they don't get them?

Hmm...

Two hours later I received an email from UPS with a tracking number. Hopefully tomorrow I will get it.
Absolutely crazy man...I never knew people ran into so many issues with Spikes. That's too bad too...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #1012
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
So your thumb runs close to parallel to the barrel and is pointing down range? I'll have to try both ways and see which I'm more comfortable and shoot better with. Definitely think I'm going to go with the hand stops.
It's pointed out downrange, basically parallel with the barrel. On a normal railed handguard, my thumb sits at the 10:00-11:00 position.
This photo is a bit deceiving because the DD MFR 12.0 handguard has a very thin diameter, so my thumb is up higher.
I'm looking at getting rid of the MFR 12.0 and putting on the M4A1 RIS II FDE rail. I like full rail handguard better, and I want a little more weight up front on the rifle for better control. After last month with EAG Tactical, I realized that my 16" lightweight is too light for my own good.

Quote:
I kind of switch back and forth between what I described above and Reddo's style. I used to always shoot with the "Reedo Grip" TM until my last class. The instructor suggested the thumb over rail to gain more control while transitioning, and I liked it.
Having the thumb up on top does give more control, I've noticed that.
I've spent enough time on high-risk traffic stops, standoffs and clearing large buildings that I have to use a more supported grip on the 6:00-9:00 range. Holding the rifle more underneath is a lot more comfortable over long periods of time where you can't drop your weapon down from a high ready. It doesn't wear your shoulders out as fast and you can hold it for longer. I've had to adapt my shooting style to accommodate this.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #1013
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:

Hmm...

Shady...the only reason I went with some spikes stuff in the first place is I got it at dealer pricing. I think i might sell my spikes NiB BCG and buy a 3rd BCM bolt and just switch everything to BCM BCG..I also got a WMD NiB BCG in a group buy too ill probably sell and just keep all BCM BCG.

The good news for you is that you can sell the Spikes BCG for about $175 on arfcom right now, buy a brand new BCM BCG and still probably have a little left over.

I'm debating what to do with my Seekins Upper/Lower combo.

Option 1: Swap my current 16" rifle(mega lower/spikes upper/noveske barrel/YHM rail/BCM CH) to the Seekins upper/lower and throw a 10" seekins bar rail I have laying around on it. and use it as mostly a bench gun with a nikon m223 3-12.

Option 2:Build it out into a class gun(I'm assuming the quality of the seekins upper/lower would be good enough for any build). Add a noveske CHF barrel or BCM BHF barrel, BCM BCG, G&R Tactical LPK, Giessele Trigger, Badass safety selector, BCM/LMT/Vltor buffer tube, BCM CH and maybe the Noveske NSR rail/Ris II rail/KAC URX.

Option 3: Throw it in closet forget about it for awhile and build an 18" SPR down the road

Option 4: SBR it and build a 10.5-12.5" AR maybe .300 Blackout down the road.

I was leaning toward option 1 and building option 2 out on a noveske/vltor lower and a noveske upper(I have a stripped noveske upper and a stripped BCM upper laying around) or just buying a complete noveske or BCM upper and building the lower. I also like this KAC upper but dont know a whole lot about them

http://www.weaponoutfitters.com/medi..._e3_iws_2_.jpg

I basically want 2 guns for classes my 10.5" Mk18 Style SBR and then a 16" both to be workhorses and 100% reliable.

Or I can just say F it and go buy a Larue predatar/predatobr. The Predatar probably being the cheapest of all the options(but I would want to at least replace the safety and the stock).

/end thinking out loud.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #1014
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I would probably build the .300. You have quality ARs already, and it sounds like this is something that you want to build because you are bored and ADHD is kicking in. So build something different.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:41 PM   #1015
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
I would probably build the .300. You have quality ARs already, and it sounds like this is something that you want to build because you are bored and ADHD is kicking in. So build something different.
I have MAJOR adhd. but it happens and it's fun I still want 1 more quality 11.5-16" AR, since my other 16" I want to stay scoped all the time and it's a SS barrel and heavy, so I probably wont run it in classes. .300 is on my list too though. my SBR lower is already registered for .300 too so I can always just buy the upper and swap those easily.
I think im going to clean up all my spare AR parts this week and start selling some extra crap off and consolidating spares.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #1016
Reedo302

If you are a gun nut and attend training, you really should have two rifles that are able to be run hard and dirty and remain reliable. At least one should be 16" if you plan to attend training in a state that does not allow SBRs.
If you already have that covered, look at something new, or something different.

Here's my process for what kind of training rifles I want, which hopefully gives an illustration of what you could do for selecting what to do:

1. 11.5" SBR as primary combat training rifle (may also soon become my duty rifle too, BTW)
2. 16" LW setup as primary backup and rifle for states that ban SBRs
3. 16" basic M4 RIS setup for backup and training my partners and friends.
4. 16" DMR build I have planned for a midrange marksmanship rifle, and possibly as a backup combat training rifle. Will likely equip with Leupold Mark6 1-6x
5. 16" Noveske Gen2 N6 .308 rifle once it comes out as a heavy precision carbine and battle rifle. Optic TBD
6. DTA SRS w/ .308, .260Rem and .338LM barrels, likely with either a Leupold Mark8 3.5-25x56 or S&B 3-20x50.

That's basically mostly training. As you can see, there's a lot of redundancy for backup purposes. #3 and #4 are future builds, which will bridge the gap for precision carbine and heavy carbine/battle rifle courses. My goal is to develop overlaps all the way along the gamut. When I select a course, I want to be able to select the right rifle, and then go one up, or one down in the list to have the right gun for backup. OR, if I'm not sure what to expect, I can bring both one up and one down to the course and adjust my rifle selection as needed.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-10-2012 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #1017
david05111

I'll probably skip the magpul afg then...I wasn't falling head over heals for it anyway.

Thoughts on the AXTS AX556 lower? This thing is expensive, but it looks really slick and has some cool features. Totally ambi, and the bolt release on the right side is really cool; no bad lever needed.

http://axtsweapons.com/products/AX556

Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 PM   #1018
Reedo302

I've really been curious to give one of those a try. They're pretty slick. Haven't heard anything about them, though.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-10-2012, 11:58 PM   #1019
david05111

Quote:
I've really been curious to give one of those a try. They're pretty slick. Haven't heard anything about them, though.
According to their website, they're back ordered as well. The price though...holy smokes. I understand you get a unique product and some nicely machined parts, but damn.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:38 AM   #1020
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
If you are a gun nut and attend training, you really should have two rifles that are able to be run hard and dirty and remain reliable. At least one should be 16" if you plan to attend training in a state that does not allow SBRs.
If you already have that covered, look at something new, or something different.

Here's my process for what kind of training rifles I want, which hopefully gives an illustration of what you could do for selecting what to do:

1. 11.5" SBR as primary combat training rifle (may also soon become my duty rifle too, BTW)
2. 16" LW setup as primary backup and rifle for states that ban SBRs
3. 16" basic M4 RIS setup for backup and training my partners and friends.
4. 16" DMR build I have planned for a midrange marksmanship rifle, and possibly as a backup combat training rifle. Will likely equip with Leupold Mark6 1-6x
5. 16" Noveske Gen2 N6 .308 rifle once it comes out as a heavy precision carbine and battle rifle. Optic TBD
6. DTA SRS w/ .308, .260Rem and .338LM barrels, likely with either a Leupold Mark8 3.5-25x56 or S&B 3-20x50.

That's basically mostly training. As you can see, there's a lot of redundancy for backup purposes. #3 and #4 are future builds, which will bridge the gap for precision carbine and heavy carbine/battle rifle courses. My goal is to develop overlaps all the way along the gamut. When I select a course, I want to be able to select the right rifle, and then go one up, or one down in the list to have the right gun for backup. OR, if I'm not sure what to expect, I can bring both one up and one down to the course and adjust my rifle selection as needed.
That list helps a lot, thanks.

I have #1 and #4 covered right now, time to work on number 2 and 3. Just need to decide on what 16" barrel/rail to go with. And as soon as time allows I would love to start attending multiple classes a year.