E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 22 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:42 AM   #1081
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
If I lived or worked in a marine environment, I would consider getting chrome or NiB BCGs for the sake of corrosion resistance. Other than that, I honestly have no need for them. I just haven't seen anything that would give me a desire to own or use one over a standard mil-spec BCG.
I have nothing against them otherwise. I will say though that if your sole purpose for buying a chrome or NiB BCG is because they're easier to clean, that's a little bit

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #1082
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I bought one before I knew much and was just told to buy it, the 2nd one I ordered in a grou buy for $160 shipped some paid the same as most regular bcgs. My sbr currently has a bcm in it, and my 16" isn't getting swapped to my other bcm.

People argue they cycle "smoother", which I don't feel or understand maybe. I'm tempted to have my bcm cerakoted just for the hell of it while the guy is painting my sbr.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #1083
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I think it would take a very, very experience shooter to notice a BCG cycling smoother. I would hazard to guess though, that the cycling feeling smoother would only be felt when comparing the two without any lubrication.

Are you talking about cerakoting your Bolt Carrier? Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't cerakote act like a barrier? My initial thought is that if you cerakote the BC, no lubrication is going to stick to it or penetrate like it would on a phosphate coated BCG.

Last edited by Serbonze; 10-19-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #1084
Reedo302

Cerakote supposedly has self-lubricating properties. Is that why you're looking at it?

As far as feeling it being smoother, I agree with Serbonze that it's a matter of testing it without lube. Even then, I would think that you need to be VERY discriminating and paying a LOT of attention to notice a difference. This brings up two things in my mind- First, there's no reason to be running an AR without lubrication. Second, if you're paying attention to whether or not one BCG runs smoother than the other (assuming it's not readily apparent, that is), you're not paying attention to what is downrange.

Here's how I look at this situation. I think NiB is a way to sell people a product that is MAYBE 1% better that a normal phosphated BCG. On another forum I post on (MilitaryArmsChannel.com), there are a lot of guys who love them their NiB. These guys make all these claims that this product is a massive improvement. I think what happened is that they got emotionally or psychologically invested in the product, and were led to believe it's the next big new thing. This probably makes them think that NiB is much better than it is, and I think a lot of what makes NiB BCGs appealing is actually based on a placebo effect more than actual demonstrable tangible gains. I won't go so far as to say it's snake oil, because there is some legitimacy to some reasons for NiB and chrome coatings, but I just don't think it's as big of a gain as people make claim. Keep in mind that less than maybe 10% of the surface of the BCG actually wears on the upper receiver.

Glock Armorer

Old 10-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #1085
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
VLTOR lower for a new AR project im workin on. just got this back from the gunsmith, needed the stock pinned. ended up going with a regular carbine stock from BCM. i cant wait until the upper comes. VLTOR MUR,16" BCM BFH barrel, DD 12" lite rail. gonna go with Troy flip sights and probably an aimpoint compc3. anyone reccomend a good quick detatch mount for the aimpoint?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:17 PM   #1086
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
VLTOR lower for a new AR project im workin on. just got this back from the gunsmith, needed the stock pinned. ended up going with a regular carbine stock from BCM. i cant wait until the upper comes. VLTOR MUR,16" BCM BFH barrel, DD 12" lite rail. gonna go with Troy flip sights and probably an aimpoint compc3. anyone reccomend a good quick detatch mount for the aimpoint?

Will be a nice build. Was that your favorite stock or what made you choose that? I would recommend either a larue mount(number 1 choice) or look at American defense offerings.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #1087
Sentaruu

i like it, i dont know if it is because im just used to it or what. but i figure its a solid stock that works for me. tried some other vltor stuff and it was nice, but my fiance would have killed me if i spent another cent on this rifle(we are currently looking to buy our first home)

i'll definately check out the larue.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:36 PM   #1088
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
i like it, i dont know if it is because im just used to it or what. but i figure its a solid stock that works for me. tried some other vltor stuff and it was nice, but my fiance would have killed me if i spent another cent on this rifle(we are currently looking to buy our first home)

i'll definately check out the larue.
It's not cheap, but it's top quality and is awesome. Good luck on the home search I recently bought my first a couple years ago. Now I have play money ha
Old 10-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #1089
Sentaruu

haha, yea thats why i want this thing done before i purchase a home. im trying to buy all my toys now while i still have money. then at least i'll be a broke ass home-owner with toys.

guaranteed my girl will start adopting dogs like crazy once we have a big fenced in yard, so i'll be spending alot on vets, food and toys.

Last edited by Sentaruu; 10-20-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #1090
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Just ordered some larue index clips and a hand stop to try out for the sbr, hopefully should have it back this week and go shooting soon
Old 10-21-2012, 03:54 PM   #1091
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Add kicking in, just traded a Ctr stock I picked up for $40 and $30 for a lmt sopmod stock to try out. Should have it at the end of the week.. I'll see how I like that stock after that I should have tried enough to figure out what I like best.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:14 AM   #1092
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
quick question: A buddy of mine is looking to sell his Bushmaster M4, wants $900 for it. I hear good and bad from the few people locally I know who shoot anything modern. He says it's only been fired once

Personally, I've never had a huge interest in owning an M4/AR15/etc, I've been looking at picking up a SCAR in the next year instead. But when he mentioned under a grand, my interest piqued.

Thoughts? Good deal?
Old 10-22-2012, 10:23 AM   #1093
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAbimmer View Post
quick question: A buddy of mine is looking to sell his Bushmaster M4, wants $900 for it. I hear good and bad from the few people locally I know who shoot anything modern. He says it's only been fired once

Personally, I've never had a huge interest in owning an M4/AR15/etc, I've been looking at picking up a SCAR in the next year instead. But when he mentioned under a grand, my interest piqued.

Thoughts? Good deal?
I'd either pay about 150 more and grab a colt or if you want a cheap plinker for range use look at the s&w m&p sport for under $700. Or throw together a nice be for $1000
Old 10-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #1094
Reedo302

Depends on when it was built. If it's 2006 or newer, pass on it. That's when Cerberus/Freedom Group bought them and they went to crap. 2011 is when they closed the Windham factory, but they jumped the shark long before that in 2007 when they bought DPMS and all Bushmaster basically became rebranded DPMS.

Glock Armorer

Last edited by Reedo302; 10-22-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:50 PM   #1095
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Anybody need a barrel? I have an extra black hole weaponry SS match grade barrel, looking to get $210 Shipped, joebob sells it for $230 Specs are in the link below, it's brand new straight from joebob. I just want a CHF/BHF instead of a second SS barrel.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Blac...hw-16c-m4b.htm
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #1096
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

teaser pic of my SBR cerakoted in burnt bronze

I have a BCM grip for it at home and larue handstop/index clips on back order

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 10-25-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #1097
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
teaser pic of my SBR cerakoted in burnt bronze

I have a BCM grip for it at home and larue handstop/index clips on back order
Looks badass

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #1098
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Looks good. You will really like the BCM grip and hand stop too.

Did you get the Mod 0 or Mod 1?

Last edited by Serbonze; 10-25-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #1099
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Looks badass
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Looks good. You will really like the BCM grip and hand stop too.

Did you get the Mod 0 or Mod 1?
I got the Mod 1, if I like it a lot im going to order a couple more. Can't wait to try it out, going to try to hit the range next week.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:42 PM   #1100
Sentaruu

sharp lookin rifle bud