E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #1161
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I'm glad to hear that you are open to changing stuff around once you figure out what works and what doesn't! At first, I made the mistake of trying to make me work with the gear, instead of the gear working for me. Two prime examples are the Aimpoint Micro (twice!) and the MS3 Sling.

For a light, I really like the X300. It's lightweight, small, rugged, and it can be easily removed. My only other experience is with the G2 which I thought was too bulky and was difficult to find a good grip on the rail wherever I mounted it.

For a sling, as you know I grew tired of racking myself in the balls when moving and having a difficult transition to pistol with the one point, so opted to move to a two point. I got mine for free as a giveaway in a class for winking a drill, so it's the basic BlueForce Gear Two point. If I were to buy one, and at some point I will to replace the MS3s on my other ARs, I will get the Vickers Padded Two Point. I've heard nothing but good things, and I had a chance to try one at a class.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:30 PM   #1162
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
I'm going to look at the vickers padded sling and I'm liking the surefire ultra light. I'm also looking at the Inforce wml(don't know if it's bright enough though).

In other news my nib spikes bcg just sold for $200 on arfcom, will pay for the noveske gen 2 lower
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #1163
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I have both the Vickers padded VCAS and the wide padded VTAC slings, and the Vickers/BFG VCAS sling is better IMO.

There are a lot of good lights on the market right now, and if you want a very basic simple light that is inexpensive, the Streamlight TLR-1S is a good option. The SureFire X300 Ultra 500lumen light is going to be the new hotness. SureFire has been upping their game lately, as the P2X Fury lights are also at 500 lumen, and they upped the G2X and 6PX lights to 360 lumens. All work great in a LaRue QD mount.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 08:54 PM   #1164
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I have both the Vickers padded VCAS and the wide padded VTAC slings, and the Vickers/BFG VCAS sling is better IMO.

There are a lot of good lights on the market right now, and if you want a very basic simple light that is inexpensive, the Streamlight TLR-1S is a good option. The SureFire X300 Ultra 500lumen light is going to be the new hotness. SureFire has been upping their game lately, as the P2X Fury lights are also at 500 lumen, and they upped the G2X and 6PX lights to 360 lumens. All work great in a LaRue QD mount.
I like the p2x fury and that seems reasonably priced, I have a surefire larue mount laying around that had a g2x in it. That might be something to give a whirl, might buy a 300 ultra also throw on a pistol and I could always change to the ar.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:28 PM   #1165
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Instead of creating a whole new thread, I figure I can ask this here.

What's the best option for an AR with a max price of $1000? The main purpose would be target shooting and plinking and I would prefer 16".

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 PM   #1166
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Instead of creating a whole new thread, I figure I can ask this here.

What's the best option for an AR with a max price of $1000? The main purpose would be target shooting and plinking and I would prefer 16".
Can you stretch it to $1100?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/79562
Old 10-31-2012, 09:44 PM   #1167
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I could.

I would prefer a floating rail, I think. I've handled a few and I like the feel of them vs. a regular handguard. I also would prefer an angled forward grip.

Edit: I understand these are easy things to change, but I would rather not have to modify a bunch of things.

Present
2011 BMW 135i - BSM
Past
2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

E46Sig

Last edited by evolved; 10-31-2012 at 09:44 PM.
evolved is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #1168
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
I could.

I would prefer a floating rail, I think. I've handled a few and I like the feel of them vs. a regular handguard. I also would prefer an angled forward grip.

Edit: I understand these are easy things to change, but I would rather not have to modify a bunch of things.
You could always change the rail out, but colt will make one of the best for the money.

Palmetto state armory and s&w should also be looked at http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/rifles/palmetto-state-armory/psa-16-pa-15cr-moe-carbine.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...r-carbine.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...rifle-fde.html
http://www.impactguns.com/sw-model-m...188145663.aspx

Last edited by Adam@Euro-Spec; 10-31-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:54 PM   #1169
king kong

My Ride: mid-engine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I'm actually hearing a lot of positive stuff about the Bushnell TRS-25. For a basic starter optic, it's actually turning out to be a pretty good budget optic.
It's not going to be as durable as an Aimpoint, and the optical and reticle quality won't be there either, but it's not too bad.
Understand that it has the integrated weaver mounting claws, so if you directly mount it to a rail, it will be too low to use. You would have to find some rail risers to attach to raise it up. Not the most optimal mounting system for the AR platforms, but it can be made to work. I hear a lot of good stuff about the Primary Arms micro dot, and that is more AR friendly.

If you eventually decide to get a bigger into shooting, then you can make the decision then to get a higher quality optic. The most affordable optic with the best features is the Aimpoint PRO, which retails for $415-$440 and has an integrated QD mount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Excellent choice on the upper. You would have been back here in a month asking for help in diagnosing the problems with the DPMS.

I've read some positive reports on that Bushnell too. I actually have one of the Primary Arms Micros, and they are a good sight too. They don't have the battery life or the ruggedness of a true Aimpoint, but they are a very good red dot for the price.

What distances are you thinking about shooting? Will you have any need for magnification? Do you have a budget that you want to stay within? With a few more details, we can help you narrow down a choice.
Sorry for the delay. I'll probably be keeping the shooting <100 yards. I'm not sure if I'll need any magnification. I was thinking I could either pick up a micro dot for around 100 and eventually get a bus, or I could invest in a nicer BUS right now and shoot irons for a while and then eventually get some better optics to put on. What do you guys think?
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #1170
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
How experienced are you as a shooter? I've always advocated proficiency with irons before switching to optics, so if you're a newer shooter, I say go for a decent set of irons (MBUS or similar). If you're experienced, go for an optic

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 01:44 AM   #1171
king kong

I'd say I'm a new shooter. More recently getting into it. Right now I'm mainly shooting .22 iron sites and shotgun clays. Skeet is really the thing that interests me the most right now, but I can't exactly do much of that when I go out to the desert with my friends. Thus me getting an AR
Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 AM   #1172
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

This is where you will get different advice. I would recommend getting the red dot first.

Back up sights are just that, for back up. If you are the range and the red dot fails, you are more than likely not going to immediately switch to your irons. My guess is that your range session will be over and you will try to diagnose the problem with the red dot.

There is actually a pretty good thread about this very topic on M4C. I can try to dig it up if you would like to read it.
Old 11-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #1173
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
This is where you will get different advice. I would recommend getting the red dot first.

Back up sights are just that, for back up. If you are the range and the red dot fails, you are more than likely not going to immediately switch to your irons. My guess is that your range session will be over and you will try to diagnose the problem with the red dot.

There is actually a pretty good thread about this very topic on M4C. I can try to dig it up if you would like to read it.
i will have to agree here.

you are new to the AR platform and will probably enjoy shooting more with the red dot as opposed to irons while learning how to effectively manipulate your rifle. that being said, you should definately have back up sights for when your red dot fails and should be comfortable using them(magpul mbus has the front and rear set for <$100)

Last edited by Sentaruu; 11-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Sentaruu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:58 PM   #1174
david05111

Red dot will definitely be more effective (and fun) in most cases, but I advocate proper fundamentals and worst case scenario stuff first. Learning proper shooting fundamentals with the irons will serve you well down the road IMO; you can pick up any long gun, regardless of configuration, and be effective with it. And in the case of your optic failing (worst case), you'll be combat effective with the irons. Once you're proficient with the basics, you step into the optics...

Just my opinion; others will definitely have contrary ones. Those arguments are valid as well

Last edited by david05111; 11-01-2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:07 PM   #1175
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

opinions on 18" Barrel, I sold my 16" noveske ss barrel/upper, well meeting the guy tomorrow. I am looking for the best 18" for my "spr build" who else should i heavily consider other then the noveske 18" spr barrel($460 with pinned gas block and gas tube)?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #1176
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

^ All absolutely correct, and I agree 100% for for a HD/SHTF/EOTWAWKI/duty carbine, but he said that his purpose is plinking out in the desert. Do you still advocate irons only for that?

This can be a good discussion!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #1177
king kong

Oddly enough I do like shooting with irons, but when looking at $45 for a mbus and $80 for a red dot I ordered a red dot for right now. Will get the backups in a few weeks, but I'm definitely over budget and just want to get it going for right now. For right now it'll be going on my lw-15 lower but I'm hoping there will be good sales on parts kits for black Friday to finish my spikes & jd lowers.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #1178
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Red dot will definitely be more effective (and fun) in most cases, but I advocate proper fundamentals and worst case scenario stuff first. Learning proper shooting fundamentals with the irons will serve you well down the road IMO; you can pick up any long gun, regardless of configuration, and be effective with it. And in the case of your optic failing (worst case), you'll be combat effective with the irons. Once you're proficient with the basics, you step into the optics...

Just my opinion; others will definitely have contrary ones. Those arguments are valid as well
i totally agree with you from a combat ready standpoint. there is no argument that he should learn to use the AR iron sights. however, for a fun gun that he mostly does recreational shooting with his buddies in the desert there is no harm in going with a red dot first. especially since he's already used to shooting with irons on his other weapons.

that being said. iron sights should definately be in the near future.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #1179
david05111

Quote:
^ All absolutely correct, and I agree 100% for for a HD/SHTF/EOTWAWKI/duty carbine, but he said that his purpose is plinking out in the desert. Do you still advocate irons only for that?

This can be a good discussion!
Nah, not really. But then again, an AR isn't really just a "plinking" rifle for me...its a combat weapon. And I consider it a combat weapon as its primary purpose; playing around with it is secondary. And as a combat weapon, I stand by the irons.

However, in this case, I understand the red dot argument. For plinking in the desert and for fun, no question the red dot is where its at.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #1180
04_e46

My Ride: 2004 325ci
what if his rds fails on him in the desert? not saying that primary arms RDS is not good or will fail first time out using it, but shit happens. What will he use to aim with after that?
04_e46 is offline   Reply With Quote