E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #101
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on Stag AR's? Are they decent as far as entry level AR's go?
I think the link is somewhere in this thread, but there is a great comparative AR buying thread on officerforums (something like that).

The net result is that CMMG is the way to go for entry level.

There are others that are good too, but everyone has their own opinion on the matter. I ended up with a Rock River and like it a lot for my needs.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #102
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_POWER View Post
Also got some magpul XTM rail covers along with a battlecomp 2.0 compensator. My good friend said it's a must.

I'm running a BC 1.0 and it's an absolutely phenomenal and mind-blowing comp. It is probably one of the loudest comps I've ever used, but the trade-off is virtually no felt recoil. My gun does NOT move during rapid fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
Does anyone have any opinions on Stag AR's? Are they decent as far as entry level AR's go?
Stag is the commercial production wing of CMT. Very good rifles. If I were considering getting an entry-level AR, Stag would be on my short list.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 08-23-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:11 PM   #103
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
:-)
shiet curtis, would never want to piss you off when that rifle with the beyonet is nearby
Old 08-23-2011, 08:13 PM   #104
M3_POWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
I'm running a BC 1.0 and it's an absolutely phenomenal and mind-blowing comp. It is probably one of the loudest comps I've ever used, but the trade-off is virtually no felt recoil. My gun does NOT move during rapid fire.

Good to hear! So I assume it's much louder than stock? Was it a hard install? I know battlecomp recommends a gunsmith to do the install. Not sure if I'm up to the task. Haven't really fiddled around with the inner workings of the gun. Just field strip it.

also what rail covers do you use?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:52 PM   #105
Reedo302

Quote:
Good to hear! So I assume it's much louder than stock? Was it a hard install? I know battlecomp recommends a gunsmith to do the install. Not sure if I'm up to the task. Haven't really fiddled around with the inner workings of the gun. Just field strip it.

also what rail covers do you use?
It is significantly louder than an A2 flash hider. To be fair, most comps and brakes are going to be louder; the BC just happens to be among the loudest. If you're running an SBR, expect to be blowing some concussion sideways, which will not make people shooting next to you very happy.
The gunsmith recommendation is to ensure proper installation. It's easy thought. Put on the crush washer, then the comp, and then tighten to the minimum torque spec (don't have the spec in front of me, but it's around 25-30ft-lbs). Once at minimum spec, you then need to "time" the comp by turning/tightening it until the closed off bottom portion of the comp is directly on the bottom. You can tune some comps/brakes to eject in certain directions to accommodate your shooting style, but some like the BC are meant to be tuned only one way. People have a tendency to not do this if they don't know what they're doing.
Also, if you are using a crush washer, you can over-tighten the comp trying to get it timed right. My BC 1.0 came with a crush washer, but I've heard that they ship some with spacer shims. Spacer shims allow you to attach the brake without over-torquing it.

AAC also sells shims for $5.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=719
Quote:

This is the kit you need for timing the installation of your muzzle device. Don't risk misalignment by using a crush washer.

This set is for any 5.56 mm applications. Can also be used to level really small tables, clean under your fingernails, or substitute for coins in really stupid vending machines. For other calibers, see below in the Other Products section.

The rail panels are TangoDown SCAR Panels. They have a little bit more grip than the standard rail covers, but don't have the ribbing, which give some grip surface to the standard panels. The material is fantastically heat resistant. I recently shot 500rds out of my CQBR in about 4 hours, and that sucker got hot. I had to put on gloves because the heat coming through the vents of the rail was starting to hurt my hand. The panels were warm to the touch, but not burning. Definitely a good investment if you shoot high a high volume of ammo.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-25-2011, 09:18 AM   #106
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

My Ride: 1098S; RR Sport; CRZ
Quote:
shiet curtis, would never want to piss you off when that rifle with the beyonet is nearby
Haha. I'd love to stab someone with.

Santa Hats thanks to Scott!
Click for pics of my bikes
Click for pics of my old 335
Click for pics of my old S4 avant
Click for pics of my old M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8 5 View Post
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
MpoweredM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #107
M3_POWER

Quote:
It is significantly louder than an A2 flash hider. To be fair, most comps and brakes are going to be louder; the BC just happens to be among the loudest. If you're running an SBR, expect to be blowing some concussion sideways, which will not make people shooting next to you very happy.
The gunsmith recommendation is to ensure proper installation. It's easy thought. Put on the crush washer, then the comp, and then tighten to the minimum torque spec (don't have the spec in front of me, but it's around 25-30ft-lbs). Once at minimum spec, you then need to "time" the comp by turning/tightening it until the closed off bottom portion of the comp is directly on the bottom. You can tune some comps/brakes to eject in certain directions to accommodate your shooting style, but some like the BC are meant to be tuned only one way. People have a tendency to not do this if they don't know what they're doing.
Also, if you are using a crush washer, you can over-tighten the comp trying to get it timed right. My BC 1.0 came with a crush washer, but I've heard that they ship some with spacer shims. Spacer shims allow you to attach the brake without over-torquing it.

AAC also sells shims for $5.
http://www.advanced-armament.com/product.aspx?pid=719

The rail panels are TangoDown SCAR Panels. They have a little bit more grip than the standard rail covers, but don't have the ribbing, which give some grip surface to the standard panels. The material is fantastically heat resistant. I recently shot 500rds out of my CQBR in about 4 hours, and that sucker got hot. I had to put on gloves because the heat coming through the vents of the rail was starting to hurt my hand. The panels were warm to the touch, but not burning. Definitely a good investment if you shoot high a high volume of ammo.
Thanks a million! Battle comp told me that it comes with peel washers, and that's what I'm going to use. Is there a special tool I need to tighten them? Or can I just use a torque wrench with a socket? As for timing it, you just have to make sure the battle comp symbol is at the 6 o'clock position correct? Lastly, not sure what you mean with the section I highlighted.

Quote:
Haha. I'd love to stab someone with.
h0mo?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #108
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

Quote:
Thanks a million! Battle comp told me that it comes with peel washers, and that's what I'm going to use. Is there a special tool I need to tighten them? Or can I just use a torque wrench with a socket? As for timing it, you just have to make sure the battle comp symbol is at the 6 o'clock position correct? Lastly, not sure what you mean with the section I highlighted.

h0mo?
You know I was talking about you.

Quote:
Constatine would of thrown his dildo at the kidnapper and proceed to cry in his closet after said kidnapper escaped.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 AM   #109
Reedo302

Quote:
Peel washers work great. I think they are moving to the washer shims from the crush washers with a lot of their new stuff. Ideally, you want to use an armorer's wrench that you can attach a torque wrench to. You can't use a socket, you have to use a 3/4" cutout on the armorer's wrench. In a pinch, you can use a 3/4" crescent wrench, but then you won't have the ability to gauge torque unless you have a 3/4" drive torque wrench that you can stick in the other end.
Ideally, the comp should be tightened between 25-30ft-lbs. If you go slightly over, no biggie, but try to be no more than around 35-40ft-lbs. The installation and timing process is sort of hit/miss. With the washer/shim system, you put the brake on without the shims and hand tighten down until it stops. You then back it off just enough to make sure the BC logo is directly at 6 o'clock. Use shims to measure the gap, and select the shims that just barely "over fill" the gap. Then, take off the comp, put on the shims, and then screw in the comp with your hand. It should stop just shy of being properly tuned. I've found that if I'm within ~1/4 of a turn, you're about there. You should have to torque it a little bit to get it timed correctly. BC should have instructions with it, and they're probably something similar to that.

The highlighted section refers to certain compensators that eject out of only certain sides. ARs have a tendency to move to the right when shot, so you can aim the ports in certain directions through timing to help counter the recoil and prevent it from pulling right.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-25-2011, 03:54 PM   #110
MpoweredM
Wants to be Orange

Just delivered my bushnell "T" dot scope.

And then a picture of my current selection. Waiting for the looters this weekend after hurricane Irene rolls through. Haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1314305472.954936.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	414325   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1314305499.232198.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	414326   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1314305527.047789.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	414327  

Quote:
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #111
Reedo302

Quote:
Just delivered my bushnell "T" dot scope.

And then a picture of my current selection. Waiting for the looters this weekend after hurricane Irene rolls through. Haha
No kidding. Great time to get yourself ready to go with a rifle.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-31-2011, 11:57 AM   #112
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Any suggestions for a round in 55g or 62g for target work? I use XM193 for general purpose stuff, but I'm sure there is something better out there for accuracy.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #113
M3_POWER

Quote:
Peel washers work great. I think they are moving to the washer shims from the crush washers with a lot of their new stuff. Ideally, you want to use an armorer's wrench that you can attach a torque wrench to. You can't use a socket, you have to use a 3/4" cutout on the armorer's wrench. In a pinch, you can use a 3/4" crescent wrench, but then you won't have the ability to gauge torque unless you have a 3/4" drive torque wrench that you can stick in the other end.
Ideally, the comp should be tightened between 25-30ft-lbs. If you go slightly over, no biggie, but try to be no more than around 35-40ft-lbs. The installation and timing process is sort of hit/miss. With the washer/shim system, you put the brake on without the shims and hand tighten down until it stops. You then back it off just enough to make sure the BC logo is directly at 6 o'clock. Use shims to measure the gap, and select the shims that just barely "over fill" the gap. Then, take off the comp, put on the shims, and then screw in the comp with your hand. It should stop just shy of being properly tuned. I've found that if I'm within ~1/4 of a turn, you're about there. You should have to torque it a little bit to get it timed correctly. BC should have instructions with it, and they're probably something similar to that.

The highlighted section refers to certain compensators that eject out of only certain sides. ARs have a tendency to move to the right when shot, so you can aim the ports in certain directions through timing to help counter the recoil and prevent it from pulling right.
Thank again! Installed my BC today and it was easier than expected. After trial and error, three medium washers seemed to do the trick. Had to tighten it with the wrench a 1/4 turn as you said. Do you have to gnats ass the timing? Mine is pretty dead on, but may be off be a hair if at all. I can't make it perfect by eye balling it.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:20 PM   #114
Reedo302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Any suggestions for a round in 55g or 62g for target work? I use XM193 for general purpose stuff, but I'm sure there is something better out there for accuracy.
XM193 is capable of 4MOA out of a typical carbine, which meets the mil standard. XM193 is capable of better than that out of accurate rifles. I think it can do 1.5 MOA. ASYM and Southwest Ammunition both have an accurate 55gr range round that likely will do better. M855 has the same accuracy. If you want accurate 62gr loads, look for Mk318 SOST ammo from Federal/Lake City. It is a match 62gr BTHP combat/DMR round made for the Marine Corps.

Quote:
Thank again! Installed my BC today and it was easier than expected. After trial and error, three medium washers seemed to do the trick. Had to tighten it with the wrench a 1/4 turn as you said. Do you have to gnats ass the timing? Mine is pretty dead on, but may be off be a hair if at all. I can't make it perfect by eye balling it.
Just eyeball it. There is a term I love to use that is applicable here: "Close enough for government work."
Just know that it is better to have a slight over-torque as opposed to under-torquing the comp and have it come loose.

Glock Armorer

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM   #115
M3_POWER

Quote:
XM193 is capable of 4MOA out of a typical carbine, which meets the mil standard. XM193 is capable of better than that out of accurate rifles. I think it can do 1.5 MOA. ASYM and Southwest Ammunition both have an accurate 55gr range round that likely will do better. M855 has the same accuracy. If you want accurate 62gr loads, look for Mk318 SOST ammo from Federal/Lake City. It is a match 62gr BTHP combat/DMR round made for the Marine Corps.

Just eyeball it. There is a term I love to use that is applicable here: "Close enough for government work."
Just know that it is better to have a slight over-torque as opposed to under-torquing the comp and have it come loose.
Sounds good! Can't wait to try it out this weekend!
Old 09-01-2011, 12:33 PM   #116
Reedo302

Quote:
Sounds good! Can't wait to try it out this weekend!
I am on lunch break on Day 3 of an EAG Tactical Carbine Operators Course. The BC has been amazing for controlling the weapon. I let a guy shoot my rifle and he is now getting a BC. He was sold on the first shot. You'll be impressed.

Glock Armorer

Old 09-03-2011, 07:32 AM   #117
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Still on the fence about buying a complete upper vs building one. Really can't decide which way to go. I do have a local gun forum member who offered to help build my whole rifle with me so tools aren't an issue.
Adam@Euro-Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:37 PM   #118
M3_POWER

Quote:
I am on lunch break on Day 3 of an EAG Tactical Carbine Operators Course. The BC has been amazing for controlling the weapon. I let a guy shoot my rifle and he is now getting a BC. He was sold on the first shot. You'll be impressed.
I sure hope so! Going out to the range right now.

Added some goodies today.

I really really like the MagPul vertical grip. Compact, light and feels great! I mixed and match every colored offered by magpul with the XTM rail guards. Looks much better in person. Lighting was bad in the house.

Here is the Battle Comp 2.0. Hope I timed it alright...

My UTG case came in as well. Everything fits nicely, and I can hold a lot of shiet in it! I love wearing it as a backpack using the shoulder straps.

Last edited by M3_POWER; 09-03-2011 at 12:40 PM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:52 PM   #119
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
Still on the fence about buying a complete upper vs building one. Really can't decide which way to go. I do have a local gun forum member who offered to help build my whole rifle with me so tools aren't an issue.
There is NOTHING wrong with buying a complete upper.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:41 PM   #120
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
I was looking at my rifles, and I think that I would like to try to break up the color from all black to something that may help to blend in with the local environment here in Florida. Truth be told, there really isn't anything around here that is all black. So keeping in mind rail covers, grip, stock, pmags, and some paint, what do you think is the best color for Florida?