E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #1341
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
You want to know which one looks the coolest? Nothing about function? Shouldn't really decide based on looks, but if I had to (as well as function on an AR pistol) I'd take the eotech. It has a wider FOV than the aimpoints, which when you're not really not getting a proper sight picture I think will be important.

Looks sweet. I've considered a new flashlight for the side of my SBR, but honestly, I think they're all too big. I took my G2 off because it was big and heavy and I was tired of all the superfluous stuff on the gun. If I was to get another, it would have to be really small, lightweight, and insanely bright. All of that equals super expensive likely, so I'm not sure it's worth it to me.
Look at the Inforce wml, I can get you that for around a Ben Franklin, not to expensive but not super bright.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 04:14 PM   #1342
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
That's why I picked up the X300. Check out that one if you get a chance.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:30 PM   #1343
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

I was worried about not liking it mounted and it being to big, but it feels great and is extremely easy to manipulate. The only downside is it's very hard to press the button to flip my Troy buis down

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 11-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #1344
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
I was worried about not liking it mounted and it being to big, but it feels great and is extremely easy to manipulate. The only downside is it's very hard to press the button to flip my Troy buis down

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
I had that same issue when I was trying to use my G2. It's the mount. Wherever you attach it, there is a clearance issue.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #1345
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Time to clean my ARs.

http://www.eyehandy.com/sports/how-t...e-with-ashley/
Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #1346
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
now that you mention it, my ARs are pretty filthy too...
Old 11-17-2012, 08:31 PM   #1347
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Outstanding video, all around

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:32 PM   #1348
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

My Ride: 2006 GTI
Do you really need to break in a new AR?
Nt_loader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM   #1349
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Yes and no. Calling it a "break in" is not quite accurate IMO. It's more of a case of "priming the pump" and a "shake down".
Giving it a shake down is basically shooting it to make sure everything works. Then, after shooting it, you take it apart and make sure it held up okay without any issues or mechanical problems.
Priming the pump is initially shooting it for the purpose of distributing and absorbing lubrication. Most ARs don't have enough lube in them off the shelf to function correctly, and I've actually watched people shoot a new Colt AR and the thing was having failures to feed galore. I could hear the bolt scraping like fingernails on a chalkboard everytime they manually cycled it. When you initially shooting a new gun, over-lube the thing. Shoot it to get it nice and hot so that the metal pores will open up and absorb some of the lubricant. Lube will spread all over and it'll run like a Swiss watch.
If you've ever watched one of the videos of how to apply Frog Lube, they talk about the need to heat up the metal part before applying the lube. This is another variation to my "priming the pump" analogy.

I guess you could call that a "break in" if you wanted to, but you're not really needing to loosen any springs up. It's more of an issue of just making sure everything is lubed and working correctly.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel

Last edited by Reedo302; 11-17-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #1350
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Yes and no. Calling it a "break in" is not quite accurate IMO. It's more of a case of "priming the pump" and a "shake down".
Giving it a shake down is basically shooting it to make sure everything works. Then, after shooting it, you take it apart and make sure it held up okay without any issues or mechanical problems.
Priming the pump is initially shooting it for the purpose of distributing and absorbing lubrication. Most ARs don't have enough lube in them off the shelf to function correctly, and I've actually watched people shoot a new Colt AR and the thing was having failures to feed galore. I could hear the bolt scraping like fingernails on a chalkboard everytime they manually cycled it. When you initially shooting a new gun, over-lube the thing. Shoot it to get it nice and hot so that the metal pores will open up and absorb some of the lubricant. Lube will spread all over and it'll run like a Swiss watch.
If you've ever watched one of the videos of how to apply Frog Lube, they talk about the need to heat up the metal part before applying the lube. This is another variation to my "priming the pump" analogy.

I guess you could call that a "break in" if you wanted to, but you're not really needing to loosen any springs up. It's more of an issue of just making sure everything is lubed and working correctly.
Sounds good

BTW mine appears to be well lubricated as I can see some areas have excess on it. The first time I picked it up I had to whipe my hands.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #1351
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

Is this magpul decent for my colt 6920?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magpul-Black...item2ec2fe2f9d
Old 11-17-2012, 11:24 PM   #1352
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nt_loader View Post
Is this magpul decent for my colt 6920?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magpul-Black...item2ec2fe2f9d
There are better things out there, but it's not too bad

Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 PM   #1353
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

Quote:
There are better things out there, but it's not too bad
Do you mind giving me an example? Im new to dressing up AR's.

Thanks
Old 11-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #1354
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:

Thanks
What do you want. I'm not a huge fan of the moe stock and would recommend the vltor imod or magpul str but this and everything is person preference. For a grip I'd look at the bcm gunfighter grip. Trigger guard I like the magpul enhanced. The rail is up to you, for the money the magpul rail is a great price, but if you want a free float quad rail it's going to cost a lot more $$.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #1355
david05111

Quote:

Thanks
Well, first you need to establish a budget for yourself. You can spend alot, or a little. That setup is on the lower end of pricing, but moderate-medium in quality.

About Magpul; I like alot of their stuff. In fact, their grips and trigger guards have accessorized my rifles for a while. But they make several "levels" of accessories and quality with different features. "MOE" is their lower end and stands for Magpul Original Equipment. They're short on some features that their higher end stuff has, as well as other manufacturers. For instance, their MOE and CTR stocks look the same, but they have different lock-up features and I think some other minor tweaks. The lockup helps it stay on the gun without "wobble.". The improvements are slight, but there are a few of them.

That being said, I think there are better options for each accessory. That's a nice hodgepodge of all of them in one purchase, but individual pieces will give you a better result in the end IMO.

Stocks: Magpul, LMT, VLTOR. Those are basically the big three and for carbine stocks they range in price from like $60 to more than $200. You just have to decide what's important. The LMT SOPMOD is loved by most everyone who uses one, but they're expensive. Every one of my rifles has a VLTOR on it; they're incredibly good IMO and run around $100 depending on the model.

Grips: Magoul and BCM are the standards at the moment. BCM is getting rave reviews and loads of people that have long used one of the 3 Magpul grips are switching to the BCM.

Trigger guards are all the same for me...someone else can come up with an answer to that if they want, but I've been happy with my MOE trigger guards.

Handguards/rails: if you just want a hand guard, have at the Magpul. It's a good piece of kit I think. But, odds are you'll want a quad rail up front at some point so you should start looking at that option. A quality rail like daniel defense, Troy, etc. Will run you $250-300 I think. Depending on what you decide to do, you can get away with a hand guard or rail anywhere between $40 and $350.

Last edited by david05111; 11-17-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #1356
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Never buy any gun stuff off of eBay. Half the gun stuff on there is Chinese knock-off stuff being passed off as legit OEM.

The MOE equipment is good kit, but it has limitations. The MOE equipment is designed to work with Magpul accessories only, which is sort of annoying, depending on how you look at it. The handguard for example, does not have rails and you need to buy Magpul mounts and accessories for it in order to mount a light or a vertical foregrip. They have small rail sections as an option, but they're very basic. Some companies have made stuff to fit MOE kit, but not many.
The stock and grip are generally fine, supposing that they fit your hand. Keep in mind that the MOE grip generally only fits people with larger hands. You need the MOE-K grip if you have smaller hands. I would also steer your towards the BCM Gunfighter grips, as they are ergonomically better and have a better compartment in the grip.
The stock is good, but if you get a MOE stock, invest in an aftermarket accessory sling swivel mount by IWC. Impact Weapons Components (IWC) is the only company that I'm aware of making MOE-specific accessories.

Compare that to a CTR or STR stock, which have everything built in. Or, with the forearm, look at something bit more utilitarian with full rails. Getting picatinny rails will make your life a lot easier when searching for accessories to mount on the rifle, like grips and lights and such. A good rail to start with and consider is the Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail. It's going to cost a little bit more, but you'll find that the added cost will pay dividends later when trying to attach accessories. Also, it's a lot more durable than a plastic handguard, and it's free-floating for better accuracy and less heat transfer to the grip.

I understand that money is always an issue, and I'd rather have MOE handguards over stock M4 style ones, and I'd rather have a MOE grip and stock over the corresponding M4 components. It's basic stuff though, and I can guarantee that it'll only be a matter of time before you start looking at replacing stuff like the handguard with a proper railed handguard. Partly out of necessity for accessories, and partly out of just wanting something more HSLD.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 AM   #1357
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
if you plan on adding a VFG i wouldnt go with the MOE handguard. i have one on one of my rifles with their MOE VFG and there is a little bit of slop in it. its just the nature of the drop in handguard system. if you dont plan on running a VFG, then the moe handguard would work well. it is very comfortable to shoot, it just tends to get very hot after about 90 rds.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #1358
Nt_loader
ASA NO MO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
What do you want. I'm not a huge fan of the moe stock and would recommend the vltor imod or magpul str but this and everything is person preference. For a grip I'd look at the bcm gunfighter grip. Trigger guard I like the magpul enhanced. The rail is up to you, for the money the magpul rail is a great price, but if you want a free float quad rail it's going to cost a lot more $$.
Quote:
Well, first you need to establish a budget for yourself. You can spend alot, or a little. That setup is on the lower end of pricing, but moderate-medium in quality.

About Magpul; I like alot of their stuff. In fact, their grips and trigger guards have accessorized my rifles for a while. But they make several "levels" of accessories and quality with different features. "MOE" is their lower end and stands for Magpul Original Equipment. They're short on some features that their higher end stuff has, as well as other manufacturers. For instance, their MOE and CTR stocks look the same, but they have different lock-up features and I think some other minor tweaks. The lockup helps it stay on the gun without "wobble.". The improvements are slight, but there are a few of them.

That being said, I think there are better options for each accessory. That's a nice hodgepodge of all of them in one purchase, but individual pieces will give you a better result in the end IMO.

Stocks: Magpul, LMT, VLTOR. Those are basically the big three and for carbine stocks they range in price from like $60 to more than $200. You just have to decide what's important. The LMT SOPMOD is loved by most everyone who uses one, but they're expensive. Every one of my rifles has a VLTOR on it; they're incredibly good IMO and run around $100 depending on the model.

Grips: Magoul and BCM are the standards at the moment. BCM is getting rave reviews and loads of people that have long used one of the 3 Magpul grips are switching to the BCM.

Trigger guards are all the same for me...someone else can come up with an answer to that if they want, but I've been happy with my MOE trigger guards.

Handguards/rails: if you just want a hand guard, have at the Magpul. It's a good piece of kit I think. But, odds are you'll want a quad rail up front at some point so you should start looking at that option. A quality rail like daniel defense, Troy, etc. Will run you $250-300 I think. Depending on what you decide to do, you can get away with a hand guard or rail anywhere between $40 and $350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
Never buy any gun stuff off of eBay. Half the gun stuff on there is Chinese knock-off stuff being passed off as legit OEM.

The MOE equipment is good kit, but it has limitations. The MOE equipment is designed to work with Magpul accessories only, which is sort of annoying, depending on how you look at it. The handguard for example, does not have rails and you need to buy Magpul mounts and accessories for it in order to mount a light or a vertical foregrip. They have small rail sections as an option, but they're very basic. Some companies have made stuff to fit MOE kit, but not many.
The stock and grip are generally fine, supposing that they fit your hand. Keep in mind that the MOE grip generally only fits people with larger hands. You need the MOE-K grip if you have smaller hands. I would also steer your towards the BCM Gunfighter grips, as they are ergonomically better and have a better compartment in the grip.
The stock is good, but if you get a MOE stock, invest in an aftermarket accessory sling swivel mount by IWC. Impact Weapons Components (IWC) is the only company that I'm aware of making MOE-specific accessories.

Compare that to a CTR or STR stock, which have everything built in. Or, with the forearm, look at something bit more utilitarian with full rails. Getting picatinny rails will make your life a lot easier when searching for accessories to mount on the rifle, like grips and lights and such. A good rail to start with and consider is the Daniel Defense Omega 7.0 rail. It's going to cost a little bit more, but you'll find that the added cost will pay dividends later when trying to attach accessories. Also, it's a lot more durable than a plastic handguard, and it's free-floating for better accuracy and less heat transfer to the grip.

I understand that money is always an issue, and I'd rather have MOE handguards over stock M4 style ones, and I'd rather have a MOE grip and stock over the corresponding M4 components. It's basic stuff though, and I can guarantee that it'll only be a matter of time before you start looking at replacing stuff like the handguard with a proper railed handguard. Partly out of necessity for accessories, and partly out of just wanting something more HSLD.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentaruu View Post
if you plan on adding a VFG i wouldnt go with the MOE handguard. i have one on one of my rifles with their MOE VFG and there is a little bit of slop in it. its just the nature of the drop in handguard system. if you dont plan on running a VFG, then the moe handguard would work well. it is very comfortable to shoot, it just tends to get very hot after about 90 rds.
Ok definately LOTS of good info here guys, its definately appreciated. Since I just broke my bank on the Colt 6920 and 2 Ak-47's im a little tight on how much I can spend. Eventually I will get some sort of optic, red dot, scope and a forward hand grip. Not sure what that is called. Outside of that I would like to put on a flashlight as well but thats about it.

If I can get started with a decent kit for about 200.00 that would be great (I have smaller hands). I can add the optics, flashlight, and forward hand grip later one.

Thanks for you guys rock and I will definately not buy from ebay

Last edited by Nt_loader; 11-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #1359
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post

Last edited by M3_POWER; 11-18-2012 at 10:40 AM.
M3_POWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:55 AM   #1360
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Ok definately LOTS of good info here guys, its definately appreciated. Since I just broke my bank on the Colt 6920 and 2 Ak-47's im a little tight on how much I can spend. Eventually I will get some sort of optic, red dot, scope and a forward hand grip. Not sure what that is called. Outside of that I would like to put on a flashlight as well but thats about it.

If I can get started with a decent kit for about 200.00 that would be great (I have smaller hands). I can add the optics, flashlight, and forward hand grip later one.

Thanks for you guys rock and I will definately not buy from ebay
I risk sounding like a Debbie downer here, but may I suggest getting out and shooting the shit out of it first? Without having a baseline, you are really just adding parts for the sake of modding and spending money on parts that may or may not be useful to you. An optic, flashlight, and a sling are a must if this will be used for any kind of self defense situation.

I guess my thought is to take some time to figure out what you may not like, or what changes will improve the feel of the AR or your shooting ability. If you can shoot someone else's at the range, or borrow parts and spend some time with them and then make a decision that's even better!

I wish that I had done this when I first started. I would have saved a lot of time and money!

You may be influenced by a bunch of us posting in this thread about different components that we are adding, but most of the time those changes are only made after thousands of rounds, many hours on the trigger, and much research from others doing the same thing.

If I had to prioritize:

Optic
Light
Sling
Replacement Handguard (quad rail or tube, your choice)

Then I would look at a replacement stock, maybe a vertical grip, etc.