E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 PM   #1541
CollinsE90

My Ride: 330i
Thank you for all of your help fellas. I decided to grab a M&P 15-S, it'll be here before Christmas hopefully. Every price for this gun was $700 and up on any other site, so this deal is pretty good.

Now, should I go long optics, or mid-length. I won't be in combat with it, so I assume long optics would be the best choice. So what's a good brand that won't be too expensive for a scope?

Other questions

-will I ever need a new trigger?
-two-piece rail or full rail?

Other than that I plan for scope first, rail next so I can get a foregrip, and then maybe a front stand eventually.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #1542
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Good pick up, it will serve you well.

Quote:
Now, should I go long optics, or mid-length. I won't be in combat with it, so I assume long optics would be the best choice. So what's a good brand that won't be too expensive for a scope?
What distance do you plan on shooting most often?
What's your budget?

Quote:
will I ever need a new trigger?
Based on what you have told us so far, no.

Quote:
two-piece rail or full rail?
A full free float rail is going to the easiest for you. I don't think you will have a need for a two piece rail.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:43 PM   #1543
CollinsE90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Good pick up, it will serve you well.

What distance do you plan on shooting most often?
What's your budget?

Based on what you have told us so far, no.

A full free float rail is going to the easiest for you. I don't think you will have a need for a two piece rail.
I don't know, maybe 100 yards at the most. I'd say around $200 for the scope. Won't be buying it just yet, just want to research for a while before I do it.
Old 12-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #1544
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I don't know, maybe 100 yards at the most. I'd say around $200 for the scope. Won't be buying it just yet, just want to research for a while before I do it.
Honestly, you don't really need a scope at that distance. You may be better off with a red dot and a 3x magnifier in a QD or Flip to side mount. That should allow you to shoot comfortably from 0-150y. You could do that with a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot, mount, and a Primary Arms 3x magnifer.

However, if a scope is your thing to make it easier, I would take a look at some of the Primary Arms scopes. They are basically knock offs, but the price with a mount is in your budget.

Last edited by Serbonze; 12-11-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #1545
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
I would highly recommend that you look at the Daniel Defense Omega rail. It's free floating, and it's designed to be user-installed without any special tools.

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=sho...product_id=854

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #1546
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
Quote:
Honestly, you don't really need a scope at that distance. You may be better off with a red dot and a 3x magnifier in a QD or Flip to side mount. That should allow you to shoot comfortably from 0-150y. You could do that with a Primary Arms Micro Red Dot, mount, and a Primary Arms 3x magnifer.

However, if a scope is your thing to make it easier, I would take a look at some of the Primary Arms scopes. They are basically knock offs, but the price with a mount is in your budget.
I agree with this..Primary Arms has treated me well and Marshall is a stand up guy.

I would look at their 1-4x scope, 3-9 and micro dot with 3x magnifier depending what you want.(i really like the red dot/mag combo).

I would also look at the vortex strikefire and sparc(life time warranties).

Also keep your eye out for a used nikon m223 1-4x or 2-8x. I have seen a few sell pretty cheap and they are good scopes.
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #1547
Sentaruu

My Ride: Xterra
i can second the vortex sparc. in my experience it is a great red dot for casual range use + it comes with a screw in magnifier.

it most certainly isnt an aimpoint but it will probably suit your needs well
Old 12-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #1548
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Have any of you guys run across a comparison of the Troy vs Noveske vs Bad ASS ambi safety selectors? I would really like to try one, but I have no idea which direction to go in (Especially for the Bad AA since there are like 11 versions now).
Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM   #1549
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Have any of you guys run across a comparison of the Troy vs Noveske vs Bad ASS ambi safety selectors? I would really like to try one, but I have no idea which direction to go in (Especially for the Bad AA since there are like 11 versions now).
I can only comment on the badass but i love it. I have the regular/short combo. Might be the best $50 i have spent on my guns. I think it's a huge improvement. I have a custom scalloped ambi safety from the spikes enhanced kit and i like it but not as much as the Badass

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM   #1550
Reedo302

I think it's basically variations on a theme. I am running Noveske 60 AMBI selectors of two of my rifles, and they're a direct drop-in setup. There's no need to do any modifying to any parts.

Quote:

NEED? No. WANT? Maybe. It really depends what you want out of your gun. Generally speaking, you have no reason to get a different trigger right now. For 90% of applications, a milspec trigger is more than sufficient. Custom triggers are nice to use, that's for sure. The benefit of them is very circumstantial and based on what you're trying to get out of the rifle. If you have a beefed up training/combat rifle, or if you have a solid precision rifle, there is a lot of merit to getting a trigger that will match the type of shooting you want to do. The problem is that you have a pretty basic "beginner" rifle, and putting anything on it right now is going to give negligible benefit to you. If you wanted a lighter trigger, the only thing I'd say you should be looking at would be an ALG Defense ACT or QMS trigger. They're inexpensive, simple, durable and provide a slight improvement in trigger feel without complicating things.

There are high end triggers like Geissele two-stage triggers that are phenomenal. I run Geissele, and several people here also do. I think I can speak for everyone here when I say that we all love them. HOWEVER, putting a Geissele on a M&P15 Sport is like putting a set of HRE wheels on a 1996 Ford Probe.

Quote:

Other than that I plan for scope first, rail next so I can get a foregrip, and then maybe a front stand eventually.
By front stand, are you referring to a bipod? If so, don't waste the money. Bipods are for precision. Your rifle is most aptly described as a hammer, not a scalpel. Putting a bipod on your weapon adds unnecessary weight, and the usefulness of them is very limited and specific. If you decide to later invest in a different precision rifle, or just get a precision upper, mounting a bipod on that would not be unreasonable. For your current rifle, it's tits on a boar.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-12-2012, 06:54 PM   #1551
CollinsE90

I happen to think the 1996 Ford Probe is a very nice car.

Last edited by CollinsE90; 12-12-2012 at 06:57 PM.
CollinsE90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 PM   #1552
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

Quote:
Well then you need a Schmidt and Bender scope for that m&p sport if you want to shoot past 50 yards

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Bimmer App
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 PM   #1553
M3_POWER

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:

Plus 10000

I just use my aim point which has no magnification and I have no problems hitting a 10" steel plate 100 yards out. Hell, I was doing prone transition drills with a 25 yards zero and had no problem hitting the plate using a hold over. Of course my groupings weren't super tight.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:08 PM   #1554
CollinsE90

Think I'll go with this once they have some in stock.

http://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_A...3X_p/pac3x.htm
Old 12-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #1555
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Thank you for all of your help fellas. I decided to grab a M&P 15-S, it'll be here before Christmas hopefully. Every price for this gun was $700 and up on any other site, so this deal is pretty good.

Other questions

-two-piece rail or full rail?

What state do you live in?
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #1556
CollinsE90

Quote:
What state do you live in?
Tennessee. Not too many gun laws.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #1557
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Tennessee. Not too many gun laws.
Is this the one from Slickguns?

http://www.slickguns.com/product/sw-...xd-592-shipped
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 PM   #1558
Reedo302

Quote:
That's fine, but would you put a $6000 set of wheels on an $1800 bone stock Probe? It's akin to living in a dumpy neighborhood in a $110,000 home and putting in granite countertops, stainless steel apppliances and oak cabinetry right before you sell the house. You will never get out what you just put into it. The same is with putting a $200 two-stage trigger into a $650 gun.

You're fine doing upgrades to the lower, but I would recommend that you do it later if you decide to upgrade to a higher quality upper.

Glock Armorer

Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #1559
CollinsE90

Quote:
yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedo302 View Post
That's fine, but would you put a $6000 set of wheels on an $1800 bone stock Probe? It's akin to living in a dumpy neighborhood in a $110,000 home and putting in granite countertops, stainless steel apppliances and oak cabinetry right before you sell the house. You will never get out what you just put into it. The same is with putting a $200 two-stage trigger into a $650 gun.

You're fine doing upgrades to the lower, but I would recommend that you do it later if you decide to upgrade to a higher quality upper.
It was a joke man, I know what you're saying.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #1560
Reedo302

Dude, I've met people that like Probes. Seriously. Baffles the mind, but it has happened.

Glock Armorer