E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:08 PM   #1581
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
Ha! My post was actually referring to the trigger guard.

I've got the vise blocks and punches (standard and roll pin) if you want to borrow them.
Thanks Jeff; if I need them, I'll holler

I've become quite frustrated with the front take down pin. I've decided to just leave it in there...too much of a hassle to get that part out. I'll replace the rear one.

Still having issues with the bolt release pin and the trigger guard pin.

But where I'm really going to run into a problem is trying to understand how the who FCG comes apart. The autosear is the kink here I think. it's holding the selector in place, which might cause a hiccup trying to get the hammer/trigger/disconnector out. I'm guessing I have to take the autosear out first, but its spring-loaded and I haven't figured out how its installed yet. I have to try and find a guide for it.

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #1582
david05111

Managed to drop the entire FCG out. I was right...the autosear partially holds everything together. Once that was out, the rest of the stuff was easy.

Also managed to get the bolt catch out, but that had a price. I scraped the receiver unfortunately...I wasn't careful enough. its not terrible, but fvcking annoying. So pissed...

Old 12-13-2012, 07:31 PM   #1583
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife.
Lots and lots of masking tape is your friend!
Old 12-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #1584
david05111

Quote:
Lots and lots of masking tape is your friend!
Yeah, I just didn't take enough care or pay enough attention to what i was doing

I give you a (mostly) stripped Colt M16 registered receiver.

I've decided to leave the front takedown pin and the trigger guard in-place. Fact is, the takedown pin is a total pain in the ass to remove and the risk of damaging the receiver is too great for me to want to replace the trigger guard. I won't risk snapping one of those "ears" or whatever they are.

I used a powder blast cleaner on it to get rid of all the carbon I could and then ran a light coat of slip 2000 over the whole thing to re-lubricate the finish.

The area of the finish I damaged is directly to the right of the "Colt" writing. I was using a punch to remove the bolt catch and didn't pay attention to what it was rubbing against. It was a rookie mistake by a guy who has protected his SBRs from just this situation. Serious on my part.

Last edited by david05111; 12-13-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #1585
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Do you have some Alumablack?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #1586
HiHoBrian

My Ride: 05 M3
Awwww, they make a drift specifically to prevent that at the bolt release. Or you could have ground down a standard punch. A couple of extra dollars in tools is money well spent. Especially on hardware like that!

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Old 12-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #1587
david05111

Quote:
Do you have some Alumablack?
Nope, what is it? A refinishing compound?

It sounds interesting, but if its standard black and doesn't blend to the color of the metal itself, it won't match. The receiver is like an old school colt grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoBrian View Post
Awwww, they make a drift specifically to prevent that at the bolt release. Or you could have ground down a standard punch. A couple of extra dollars in tools is money well spent. Especially on hardware like that!

sent from my ATARI sc1224
Yeah I attacked it from the wrong angle. I tried to punch the pin out from the front of the receiver. If I would have attacked it from the rear near the selector, I wouldn't have had the problem. Only real consolation I have is that it shouldn't effect the value TOO much and I paid so under-value for it that I'm still well in the black.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM   #1588
Adam@Euro-Spec
Sponsor

My Ride: is slowww
Send a message via AIM to Adam@Euro-Spec
How is the value effected refinishing the receiver? Do most people care or they only care that's it's a registered happy switch receiver.

Cerakoting it would make the finish much more durable but will it hurt the value?
Adam@Euro-Spec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #1589
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam@Euro-Spec View Post
How is the value effected refinishing the receiver? Do most people care or they only care that's it's a registered happy switch receiver.

Cerakoting it would make the finish much more durable but will it hurt the value?
On these, original finish is desirable

Old 12-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #1590
david05111

Can someone educate me on the ballistics of the 300 blackout round? I'm thinking of grabbing an upper from Noveske (going with them rather than AAC).

I'm between the 8.2 inch and 10.2 inch versions of both. I'm not sure what the overall effect on terminal ballistics and velocity will be with the 2 inch difference. On a 5.56 going from 10 to 8 would be significant. I'm not sure about 300 blackout

Old 12-14-2012, 07:28 AM   #1591
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
Nope, what is it? A refinishing compound?

It sounds interesting, but if its standard black and doesn't blend to the color of the metal itself, it won't match. The receiver is like an old school colt grey

It's a liquid that is used to blacken aluminum. The finish usually ends up a dark grey. I've used it on my Eotechs and scope mounts to touch up the dings and scratches. I've got some if you want to try it, otherwise you can get it Dicks or any LGS.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #1592
david05111

Quote:
It's a liquid that is used to blacken aluminum. The finish usually ends up a dark grey. I've used it on my Eotechs and scope mounts to touch up the dings and scratches. I've got some if you want to try it, otherwise you can get it Dicks or any LGS.
Hmm...i might have to give it a shot on one of my other rifles to see what the result is. Not sure I want to throw it on the RR until i know for sure what the result will be haha.

In other news this morning, I'm an idiot. I forgot to order the most basic of parts for the build: a damn castle nut. I have every other part except that...and I have no idea if I can get one locally anywhere. I called shoot straight and they have entire buffer kits with them, but I don't need to spend that much. Struggling to remember if there is a manufacturer locally that might have one they'd sell me. i know I could probably get one from spikes or tactical machining in Deland.

Old 12-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #1593
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

I've got an extra one if you are desperate and don't want to wait on one that's ordered.

My weekend is pretty jammed, but I'm home all night tonight. Feel free to swing by and pick it up. No way I'm driving to St. Pete.

ETA: didn't make any sense what I wrote.

Last edited by Serbonze; 12-14-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Serbonze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:48 PM   #1594
david05111

Quote:
I've got an extra one if you are desperate and don't want to wait on one that's ordered.

My weekend is pretty jammed, but I'm home all night tonight. Feel free to swing by and pick it up. No way I'm driving to St. Pete.

ETA: didn't make any sense what I wrote.
Ha alright, if my other parts don't arrive it won't make much difference. I'll email you in a bit if they arrive and maybe I'll swing by with a few beers and we can talk, have a drink, and I'll grab it.

Old 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1595
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Sounds good, although I don't drink.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:34 PM   #1596
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Can someone educate me on the ballistics of the 300 blackout round? I'm thinking of grabbing an upper from Noveske (going with them rather than AAC).

I'm between the 8.2 inch and 10.2 inch versions of both. I'm not sure what the overall effect on terminal ballistics and velocity will be with the 2 inch difference. On a 5.56 going from 10 to 8 would be significant. I'm not sure about 300 blackout
If you look at the ballistics of a .30-30Win, it's nearly identical. It's also very similar to the 7.62x39, though it has higher pressure and velocity.

There is still a lot of testing being done to determine overall performance of the cartridge, and it varies greatly because there is such a wide array of loads coming out, and because you have the option of loading up everything from a 110gr to 220gr.

The initial AAC website put up once the round was announced has the basic info, and there are links on there for good comparisons of the initial loads.
http://300aacblackout.com/

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 01:18 AM   #1597
david05111

Thanks for all the help Jeff! It was great to meet you finally and get the lower totally put together. I threw the upper on it and put the buffer and spring in. We'll see if it works tomorrow...

Interesting information Reedo; I didn't know some of that. Trouble is, ultimately it doesn't really help that much. I'm still in the same spot comparing the 8.2 to the 10.2. I think the best thing for me to do is to call Noveske and ask if they have testing numbers

Old 12-15-2012, 02:27 AM   #1598
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
They most likely do. I'm sure some searching on Arfcom or http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/ may also yield some results in the mean time until Monday.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #1599
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

Quote:
Thanks for all the help Jeff! It was great to meet you finally and get the lower totally put together. I threw the upper on it and put the buffer and spring in. We'll see if it works tomorrow...
No problem at all, it was great to meet you too. And as a bonus, you got to meet my wife.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #1600
david05111

Quote:
No problem at all, it was great to meet you too. And as a bonus, you got to meet my wife.
Haha and Storm and River...