E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 01:08 PM   #1
Shinji Hirako

My Ride: 325xi
My 2002 325xi is a POS box PITA

Im thinking about get rid of it. My whole intention when gettin this car was have a AWD vehicle that will trek through all harsh elements like a champion. Well it's served its purpose! Well because of this winter storm we had the car decide it was time to take a major dump! When i got the car it had high mileage 155xxx. Since had the car i've had nothing but problems.

LIST OF PROBLEMS

Mass air flow straight out of the used car dealer. (Fixed after 3 tries)
Drivers side heat works but passenger doesn't.
SES light: Evap emission large leak, Oxygen sensor(S)
Winshield/Headlight washer pump both failing at the same time!(Fixed)
Oil leak from oil pan/ or filter housing(not sure and very scary)
Transfer case leak (equally scary)
Axle(S) nice shaking above 60mph (not scary at all....... )
Brakes done twice over the course of 4mnths (i guess this is usua l )

I know im missing some things but this is F***ing annoying! I wanna drop the car and put wheels on it but all the money im saving for those upgrades are now going into service!!! Even if i drop all my money into making it realible resale value is going to be next to nothing with the mileage. Before wasting my money I wanna cut my loses and find out about reliablity on the non xi models!

ANYONE KNOW HOW THE 325/330I handle in the snow compared to the xi?
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:36 PM   #2
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
sell it. any rwd car handles great in the snow provided you have snow tires. do not dick around with all seasons.
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboo0m View Post
sell it. any rwd car handles great in the snow provided you have snow tires. do not dick around with all seasons.
Yea i know i had snow tires on the xi and it handled close to having an audi with the quattro system. Im just gonna be pissed if i do the purchase and im stuck with a car doesn't move in the snow!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:07 PM   #4
Shinji Hirako

OH YEA also did thermostat too! And eventually have to do belts!
Old 02-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
welcome to the e46 and regular maintenance on an xi.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
Yea but over 3,000 is a scary to drop down on this car when i already dropped 3,000 in less then 5 months! november to now!

Last edited by Shinji Hirako; 02-14-2011 at 02:37 PM.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #7
Shinji Hirako

That also doesn't include a possible tune-up/Timing chain & Gasket service some where in the not so distant future.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
jaycard73

My Ride: '02 325xi
Who's doing the work on your car? you need to find a more reasonable indy shop..3k for the stuff you mentioned sounds way too high!
jaycard73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #9
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycard73 View Post
Who's doing the work on your car? you need to find a more reasonable indy shop..3k for the stuff you mentioned sounds way too high!
I used to work for Advance auto parts and theres a Audi/Vw shop that i used to deliver to that did my work. What they did was:

Oil change
STOCK clutch assembly; Pressure plate, clutch and dual mass...
Tranny fluid
Control arm/ bushings
Brakes All around
Old 02-14-2011, 07:35 PM   #10
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
Did you get the car inspected before you bought it? Did you know anything about BMWs before you purchased this one? Any car with 155k miles will have problems, especially a BMW that has not been regularly maintained.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:48 PM   #11

My Ride: 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
ftw
99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #12
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 2 View Post
Did you get the car inspected before you bought it? Did you know anything about BMWs before you purchased this one? Any car with 155k miles will have problems, especially a BMW that has not been regularly maintained.
I didn't know anything about bmw's before i got this POS! The dealer got the car inspected. I also did a car fax but the car fax doesn't tell you Sh**!
Old 02-15-2011, 04:57 PM   #13
scottz

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
I didn't know anything about bmw's before i got this POS! The dealer got the car inspected. I also did a car fax but the car fax doesn't tell you Sh**!
And there you have it. You let the dealer dictate everything in the sale. Do you think they were looking out for you? I'd have to say you are to blame for what you got. Not educating yourself about the car you were about to buy and not having an independent inspection of the vehicle lays the blame purely on you. Sorry but your whining and stomping your feet is for naught.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #14
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
And there you have it. You let the dealer dictate everything in the sale. Do you think they were looking out for you? I'd have to say you are to blame for what you got. Not educating yourself about the car you were about to buy and not having an independent inspection of the vehicle lays the blame purely on you. Sorry but your whining and stomping your feet is for naught.
Well your right...... I guess, So i guess i should bend over and receive the insertion like a man.

Anyway i took the car to get an oil change at jiffy lube last night! One of my friends i went to automotive school with is the store manager there. So i went under the car to see if the leak got worse from the transfer case. Come to find out there isn't a leak coming from the transfer case. What i saw the last time i was under the car was the engine oil being blown onto the transfer case housing (Thats my assumption and the conclusion we came up with!). Now im reconsidering selling it if i can find out exactly where the oil is leaking from.

I have a couple of questions i'd like to ask if anyones willing to answer.

1) Is there anyway to tell when the rear cv's are going bad besides apperence?

2) At 160,xxx miles do you think it's better to Rebuild the Cv's or replace them?

3) Where can i get CV's for a Decent Price?
Old 02-16-2011, 09:57 AM   #15
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Well your right...... I guess, So i guess i should bend over and receive the insertion like a man.

Anyway i took the car to get an oil change at jiffy lube last night! One of my friends i went to automotive school with is the store manager there. So i went under the car to see if the leak got worse from the transfer case. Come to find out there isn't a leak coming from the transfer case. What i saw the last time i was under the car was the engine oil being blown onto the transfer case housing (Thats my assumption and the conclusion we came up with!). Now im reconsidering selling it if i can find out exactly where the oil is leaking from.

I have a couple of questions i'd like to ask if anyones willing to answer.

1) Is there anyway to tell when the rear cv's are going bad besides apperence?

2) At 160,xxx miles do you think it's better to Rebuild the Cv's or replace them?

3) Where can i get CV's for a Decent Price?

1) BMW's don't usually need attention to rear axles.

2) Replace with rebuilt axles assemblies.

3) A1 Cardone reman axles are less than $100 each plus core. Do not buy any new axles besides BMW or rebuilt/reman axles, as they are made in China.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM   #16
scottz

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
No, a man would educate himself, make a plan and fix the issues. None of which are insurmountable. And not whine like a little schoolgirl.

So you didn't do your due diligence. It bit you in the ass. Not even a big bite. Take a breath and figure out what needs to be done. Prioritize and get it done. It's not the end of the world. Just do one thing at a time.

Quote:
LIST OF PROBLEMS

Drivers side heat works but passenger doesn't.
SES light: Evap emission large leak, Oxygen sensor(S)
Oil leak from oil pan/ or filter housing(not sure and very scary)
Axle(S) nice shaking above 60mph (not scary at all....... )
Brakes done twice over the course of 4mnths (i guess this is usua l )
The brakes make it sound like you need to do the brakes correctly. New or turned rotors and quality pads.

Fix the oil leak. That seems like the biggie to me depending on how bad it is leaking.

Axles? Are you sure it's the axles?

You're in the right place to get help with this. jsut calm down.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
No, a man would educate himself, make a plan and fix the issues. None of which are insurmountable. And not whine like a little schoolgirl.

So you didn't do your due diligence. It bit you in the ass. Not even a big bite. Take a breath and figure out what needs to be done. Prioritize and get it done. It's not the end of the world. Just do one thing at a time.

The brakes make it sound like you need to do the brakes correctly. New or turned rotors and quality pads.

Fix the oil leak. That seems like the biggie to me depending on how bad it is leaking.

Axles? Are you sure it's the axles?

You're in the right place to get help with this. jsut calm down.

:Breath: ahhhhhhh...... Ok too a deep breath lmao.

1)The dealer did the brakes........Then the shop i took it to did the brakes and then I did the the brakes 2 sundays ago. I did them better then those aholes did lol! I got the FCP Groton set up for the Xi

2) leaking was my major concern thats why i wanted to sell before i dump more money but sunday im gonna try to see exactly where the leak is coming from. I'm praying it's the oil filter housing gasket and not the oil pan. I already have the gasket.

3) Front axles have stress crack on the outer and inner boots. Serious vibration after 60miles an hour........ Definitely axles unless you got something else in mind! Not sure about the rear axles.......

I'm trying to be calm but i worry about things ahead of time i was in a carzy stiuation with an old car where i was stuck in the middle of nowhere cause my car broke down. Not trying to have that happen again.

Last edited by Shinji Hirako; 02-16-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #18
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
1)The dealer did the brakes........Then the shop i took it to did the brakes and then I did the the brakes 2 sundays ago. I did them better then those aholes did lol! I got the FCP Groton set up for the Xi

FCP groton for brakes? Get some quality brakes and pads, either OEM or some other known good set up. ECS has a sale on OEM BMW performance rotors, add some good pads and you'll be set.

2) leaking was my major concern thats why i wanted to sell before i dump more money but sunday im gonna try to see exactly where the leak is coming from. I'm praying it's the oil filter housing gasket and not the oil pan. I already have the gasket.

Sounds like you have some work to do on this one and probably should do it soon

3) Front axles have stress crack on the outer and inner boots. Serious vibration after 60miles an hour........ Definitely axles unless you got something else in mind! Not sure about the rear axles.......

Axles would vibrate all the time, not only above 60mph. Replace the boot and repack the axle before it gets any worse. Check and see if the vibration increases/decreases as you apply and get off the gas. If there's no change, check your wheel balance (CHEAP) as well as any and all suspension components and joints for wear and tear. If the control arms/struts/springs have never been replaced, they are more than likely toast.
See above.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM   #19
infinite012

My Ride: White '08 STI
Check your valve cover gasket. I had a leak in mine and the engine vomited oil down the side of the block and back to the rear diff.

Also, sell your car and get a WRX. Much more reliable and cheaper to fix should sh!t crop up.
infinite012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:22 PM   #20
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Get the transfer case leak fixed, there is only about a 1/3 liter of fluid in the transfer case.