E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #21
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite012 View Post
Check your valve cover gasket. I had a leak in mine and the engine vomited oil down the side of the block and back to the rear diff.

Also, sell your car and get a WRX. Much more reliable and cheaper to fix should sh!t crop up.
I got an offer for 5 grand so im just waiting till the end of the week to see if i can get a car out of that deal. Dude has a civic that he's selling for 800 so i wanna see if i can get it included in the deal if not. I really wanna sti/evo but 20 grand for a car with 6x,xxx miles is overdoing it in my book. Probably gonna suffer with this car and slowly get everthing fixed. I probably did something F***ed up to somebody in my life and im probably paying for it!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #22
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
See above.
It was a brembo/zimmermann/akebono kit for the breaks


It vibrates at 60mph and upwords only under acceleration but the boot do have stress crack??????!



Thanks for the info.
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #23
Dreamliner330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,849
My Ride: 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
When i got the car it had high mileage 155xxx. Since had the car i've had nothing but problems.
You get what you pay for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
ANYONE KNOW HOW THE 325/330I handle in the snow compared to the xi?
AWD cars are significantly better in inclimate than their non-awd counterpart.

Regardless, snow tires are a must on any winter vehicle.
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:01 PM   #24
scottz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 72
My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Get the transfer case leak fixed, there is only about a 1/3 liter of fluid in the transfer case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
Well your right...... I guess, So i guess i should bend over and receive the insertion like a man.

Anyway i took the car to get an oil change at jiffy lube last night! One of my friends i went to automotive school with is the store manager there. So i went under the car to see if the leak got worse from the transfer case. Come to find out there isn't a leak coming from the transfer case. What i saw the last time i was under the car was the engine oil being blown onto the transfer case housing (Thats my assumption and the conclusion we came up with!). Now im reconsidering selling it if i can find out exactly where the oil is leaking from.
Reading is fundamental.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM   #25
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Reading is fundamental.
THanks u scott I know I'm a f***tard but damn!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 PM   #26
E-rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philly
Posts: 310
My Ride: '01 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
Dude has a civic that he's selling for 800
Good. See ya!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
I probably did something F***ed up to somebody in my life and im probably paying for it!
God hates you.
__________________

"So when you go for a drive, remember to leave your murderous anger where it belongs - at home."
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #27
TX_Bullet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 951
My Ride: 2001 325Xi
Bought mine for 3k with 175k on the clock knowing it had problems. But in the end after everything got fixed she does the job and looks good.

You either are a fanatic and fix the problems which most likely can be fixed by searching the forums. Or give up and be a Honda owner
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeurotech View Post
Sometimes the Cheapest quote is the most expensive in the end
Number of Destroyed Newb Destroyers- 1
The Mods

Power Flex FCAB
Much more coming.....
TX_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:40 PM   #28
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,390
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
I got an offer for 5 grand so im just waiting till the end of the week to see if i can get a car out of that deal. Dude has a civic that he's selling for 800 so i wanna see if i can get it included in the deal if not. I really wanna sti/evo but 20 grand for a car with 6x,xxx miles is overdoing it in my book. Probably gonna suffer with this car and slowly get everthing fixed. I probably did something F***ed up to somebody in my life and im probably paying for it!
DO IT!

Not sure what that poor xi did to deserve you.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
DO IT!

Not sure what that poor xi did to deserve you.

LMAO your funny!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #30
Romanian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Cali
Posts: 401
My Ride: 03 325i
Its a pride issue. Alot of people here pride themselves on doing their own maintenance when BMWs are notoriously high maintenance.

If you are looking for a cheap, reliable, and relatively easier to maintain vehicle get a nice little 4x4 pickup truck by honda or toyota to scoot around in the winter in.

A BMW with this many miles is simply not cost effective to use as a winter beater. Granted you can go this route, and many people do. Its just that It costs more to maintain, and you need to keep ahead on the maintenance.

I bought my car because I wanted a nicely balanced rwd car and I wouldn't mind having to work on from time to time. If you need a winter car buy a cheap winter car, if not then start reading the DIY so you can start saving money
Romanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #31
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Bullet View Post
Bought mine for 3k with 175k on the clock knowing it had problems. But in the end after everything got fixed she does the job and looks good.

You either are a fanatic and fix the problems which most likely can be fixed by searching the forums. Or give up and be a Honda owner
Not everyone is as luck as you......

I bought mine for 8,500 with 155,xxx I spent $3,000 so far. and looks like ihave to spend acouple more thousand before it's running properly. so for over 10grand i could have bought a xi or ci with less mileage and probably less headaches. An you can't say im wrong!

Last edited by Shinji Hirako; 02-16-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #32
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romanian View Post
Its a pride issue. Alot of people here pride themselves on doing their own maintenance when BMWs are notoriously high maintenance.

If you are looking for a cheap, reliable, and relatively easier to maintain vehicle get a nice little 4x4 pickup truck by honda or toyota to scoot around in the winter in.

A BMW with this many miles is simply not cost effective to use as a winter beater. Granted you can go this route, and many people do. Its just that It costs more to maintain, and you need to keep ahead on the maintenance.

I bought my car because I wanted a nicely balanced rwd car and I wouldn't mind having to work on from time to time. If you need a winter car buy a cheap winter car, if not then start reading the DIY so you can start saving money

Thanks romanian. I was thinking about getting a decent AWD car something i can look nice in and be proud of thats why i got the XI. Every BMW guy/ shop/ owner I talk to say "e46's those things ar bullet proof they go upwards of 300,000"......(BS)!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:00 PM   #33
Kubica
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,390
My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
Not everyone is as luck as you......

I bought mine for 8,500 with 155,xxx I spent $3,000 so far. and looks like ihave to spend acouple more thousand before it's running properly. so for over 10grand i could have bought a xi or ci with less mileage and probably less headaches. An you can's say im wrong!
That's peanuts compared to what many of us spent to buy new or slightly preowned.

Yes, the car gets cheaper as it ages, but maintenance stays the same price.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #34
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rock View Post
Good. See ya!

Yea you would like that!

God hates you.
I HATE MYSELF SO IT'S OK!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #35
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post
That's peanuts compared to what many of us spent to buy new or slightly preowned.

Yes, the car gets cheaper as it ages, but maintenance stays the same price.
OK i might just fix everything then sell it! Can you tell me where I can get Oxygen sensor for a decent price?
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:17 PM   #36
Romanian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Cali
Posts: 401
My Ride: 03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
Thanks romanian. I was thinking about getting a decent AWD car something i can look nice in and be proud of thats why i got the XI. Every BMW guy/ shop/ owner I talk to say "e46's those things ar bullet proof they go upwards of 300,000"......(BS)!
Hahaha the motor and the body being the bulletbroof parts. Everything thats rubber, or plastic will need to be replaced. Control arm bushings, coolant system, misc pipes and hoses, vanos seals, oil filter housing gasket, rear diff seals, etc. etc.

A Honda or Toyota you can literally just gas, oil, tires and your good to go.
It would be the the smart and cost effective winter choice.
Hey if your cool with spending 3k so far on maintenance on a winter car..then that's your money of course. But if it were up to me, Id buy something cheaper that's reliable and for winter use only. Then drive the nicer car when the sun comes out
Romanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #37
nickchuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Central Jerz
Posts: 140
My Ride: 325xi (Topaz)
First off, this thread is ridiculous...

Second, you have a high mileage XI, I have the same so I'll help out a bit. almost Everything you listed can be fixed for under $500

You did a brake kit ok so that problem is gone (they probably turned your rotors at the shop which is why you were having problems. BMW reccomends that you replace rotors when you do pads, you can get away with turning the rotors probably once but they were probably too far gone.

Your leak is almost certainly from the Oil filter housing. Replace the gasket, its like $6, also if it is leaking from the Oil cooler plugs epoxy them shut for a cheap quick fix.

do your valve cover gasket, and spark plugs, easy fix. Tischer or ECS sell a kit

MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR CV BOOTS, if you do not it will destroy your axles. Just saw the kit to fix this on ecstuning.com for like $60 a side. Make sure the axles are ok before doing this.

Lastly the vibration you are speaking of is almost certainly your front control arm bushings. Replace them with polyurethane ones so they do not wear out like the OEM ones that are grease/oil filled.

Finally man, calm down... It's not that bad and if you search around this site everything you have a question about has been or can be answered. Also you are in NY so there are plenty of fanatics around that can help out, and pleanty decent shops in the area.

Good Luck,
nickchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #38
99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Nunya
Posts: 152
My Ride: 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
Not everyone is as luck as you......

I bought mine for 8,500 with 155,xxx I spent $3,000 so far. and looks like ihave to spend acouple more thousand before it's running properly. so for over 10grand i could have bought a xi or ci with less mileage and probably less headaches. An you can't say im wrong!
I bought my 330xi with 89k on the clock for $9500 and have spent ~$2500 on it during the last year and a half. Am I upset? Yeah, a little. Am I pissing and moaning about it on a message board? No. As a matter of fact if it weren't for the DIYs on this message board I'd have spend a LOT more money on the car or just sold it altogether (which is still an option).

Last edited by 99; 02-16-2011 at 02:45 PM.
99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #39
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchuck View Post
First off, this thread is ridiculous...

Second, you have a high mileage XI, I have the same so I'll help out a bit. almost Everything you listed can be fixed for under $500

You did a brake kit ok so that problem is gone (they probably turned your rotors at the shop which is why you were having problems. BMW reccomends that you replace rotors when you do pads, you can get away with turning the rotors probably once but they were probably too far gone.

Your leak is almost certainly from the Oil filter housing. Replace the gasket, its like $6, also if it is leaking from the Oil cooler plugs epoxy them shut for a cheap quick fix.

do your valve cover gasket, and spark plugs, easy fix. Tischer or ECS sell a kit

MAKE SURE YOU DO YOUR CV BOOTS, if you do not it will destroy your axles. Just saw the kit to fix this on ecstuning.com for like $60 a side. Make sure the axles are ok before doing this.

Lastly the vibration you are speaking of is almost certainly your front control arm bushings. Replace them with polyurethane ones so they do not wear out like the OEM ones that are grease/oil filled.

Finally man, calm down... It's not that bad and if you search around this site everything you have a question about has been or can be answered. Also you are in NY so there are plenty of fanatics around that can help out, and pleanty decent shops in the area.

Good Luck,
Thank you!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:46 PM   #40
Shinji Hirako
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: New york
Posts: 92
My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 View Post
I bought my xi with 89k on the clock for $9500 and have spent ~$2500 on it during the last year and a half. Am I upset? Yeah, a little. Am I pissing and moaning about it on a message board? No. As a matter of fact if it weren't for the DIYs on this message board I'd have spend a LOT more money on the car or just sold it altogether (which is still an option).
Thank you 99, I'm trying this new thing it's called venting........ you should try it sometime. Out of the 99 haters theres a few people who actually care what I have to say! I don't think i would mind spending that much for/on my car with that mileage...... again you were another lucky one and i was was a fool!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use