E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 02:53 PM   #41
dgoddard

My Ride: 02 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinji Hirako View Post
Dude has a civic that he's selling for 800
How much money do you think you are going to have to put into an $800 Civic to make it decent? lol
2009 Ninja 250R 5k
dgoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #42
Shinji Hirako

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoddard View Post
How much money do you think you are going to have to put into an $800 Civic to make it decent? lol
$200 dollars cause i'm not doing SH*T to that car! I have parts for days an resource for years when it comes to that garbage!
Shinji Hirako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #43

My Ride: 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE
Quote:
Thank you 99, I'm trying this new thing it's called venting........ you should try it sometime. Out of the 99 haters theres a few people who actually care what I have to say! I don't think i would mind spending that much for/on my car with that mileage...... again you were another lucky one and i was was a fool!
I understand venting... just don't expect any sympathy from Fanatics.

Oh, and I should add that after a year and a half with my xer I now know that:

a) I really wanted a RWD 330i or 330ci, and
b) I should have gotten a manual transmission.

Oh well, live and learn!
99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #44
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 View Post
I understand venting... just don't expect any sympathy from Fanatics.

Oh, and I should add that after a year and a half with my xer I now know that:

a) I really wanted a RWD 330i or 330ci, and
b) I should have gotten a manual transmission.

Oh well, live and learn!
Mine is manual! Sorry it's the only thing i could have thought about saying!!
Old 02-16-2011, 03:16 PM   #45

My Ride: 2013 Sonata 2.0T SE
Quote:
Mine is manual! Sorry it's the only thing i could have thought about saying!!
Exactly, man. Look on the bright side! That, and an xer is probably useful to you since you live in New York. I don't get a lot use out AWD living here in South Carolina. OTOH my car is Hellrot, which makes it awesome and adds a good 10 - 15 lb/ft tq. It's also a lot of fun to drive and I can probably find someone willing to pay me about what I paid for it... but not on this board.
99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #46
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 View Post
Exactly, man. Look on the bright side! That, and an xer is probably useful to you since you live in New York. I don't get a lot use out AWD living here in South Carolina. OTOH my car is Hellrot, which makes it awesome and adds a good 10 - 15 lb/ft tq. It's also a lot of fun to drive and I can probably find someone willing to pay me about what I paid for it... but not on this board.
Lmao! it is quite useful but what grinds my gears just the fact that i have don't anything performance wise to the car yet and i'm spending surpercharger style money lmao!
Old 02-16-2011, 08:03 PM   #47
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
Reading is fundamental.
Haha, you are preaching to the choir.

With the dollars involved, I think it is worth going in and taking a look at the transfer case.

Undo the fill plug (my wrench is on it).
Undo the drain plug (on the back of the transfer case) and drain old fluid.

Replace bottom plug. Recommend new crush washers for both plugs.
Don't be surprised if slightly over a cup comes out.
Fill with Redline D4 ATF until it reaches the top plug. About .4 liters

Last edited by xi_ter; 02-16-2011 at 09:00 PM.
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:08 AM   #48
Shinji Hirako

Thank you again guys!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #49
AlpinewhiteXi

My Ride: 01 325Xi // 86 325e
Definitely follow the suggestion that everyone is giving and get the CV boots taken care of NOW! I've had my xi for one month, both front outer boots went out (cheap fix), Left front CV went out completely (not a cheap fix). The right CV would have been soon to follow if I had not replaced the Boot when I did. I'm new to the AWD world so, I took mine to a reputable BMW shop, all repairs and inspection of the vehicle cost me $750.00 It's not the end of the world, it's car care.
AlpinewhiteXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:35 AM   #50
Shinji Hirako

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpinewhiteXi View Post
Definitely follow the suggestion that everyone is giving and get the CV boots taken care of NOW! I've had my xi for one month, both front outer boots went out (cheap fix), Left front CV went out completely (not a cheap fix). The right CV would have been soon to follow if I had not replaced the Boot when I did. I'm new to the AWD world so, I took mine to a reputable BMW shop, all repairs and inspection of the vehicle cost me $750.00 It's not the end of the world, it's car care.
Thanks alpine im taking it to the shop to get fully diagnosed saturday so i can find out exactly what the issues are!
Old 02-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #51
SILVRRONIN

My Ride: 2003 325.xit
the car was neglected prior to you owning it..taking the time now to repair it wil further ensure your overall enjoyment when it's all done. Mine started out a plane jane soccer mom mobile...look (at my garage..I have more pics coming)....now I am th envy of alot of people..I get alotta thumbs up when i drive past people..people chasing me down on the highway to ask me questions..blowing throw rain and black ice...I love my XI!.....keep it and slowly turn the situation around....i had repair challenges too but i kept through it and slowly overcame the CV axle issues, etc.....it all works out.
also gotta remember..IF you want to play...you GOTTA BE WILLING TO PAY!
SILVRRONIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 10:45 AM   #52
thefrog1394

My Ride: e46- 1999 323i
Here's the thing, you are acting like this car is falling apart and has all these crazy issues. That is not true. Every other person with a high mileage e46 on here knows exactly what problems you are having because it has happened to them. Thats the thing about these cars, the engine, drivetrain, body etc will last forever, but there are plenty of parts that wear out around them.

The good thing is, you are not looking at an infinite amount of parts needing replacement, but it could be a pretty decent amount. You have to decide whether you are in it for the long haul because if you are not, you probably would be better off selling. But if you are, you could easily put a couple grand in and be good to go for another 100k miles, save for a sensor or fuel pump randomly going out or something like that.

Around 100k miles a ton of parts start to wear out. The previous owner probably never replaced any of these wear parts and so you have 50k miles of **** wearing out and not being replaced.

Front suspension rebuilt. Could be the cause of your vibrations, but should be done either way. FCAB, control arms, tie rods, stab end links.
rear trailing arm bushings
on the XI, definitely replace the CV boots, hopefully your CV axles aren't trashed already. If so you will have to replace those. Price of having an XI.
Oil leak: valve cover gasket and/or oil housing gasket. Both cheap and easy to replace.
Shocks and springs probably need replacing.
cooling system needs replaced
Your rear axles are fine.
Other stuff I am forgetting. You get the point though, this is all common stuff. If you want to keep this car for a while search the forum and either do it yourself or go to a mechanic and tell them whats wrong and make sure you get a good price.

Or just sell the car because clearly you are looking for something that doesn't need upkeep. A 150k+ mile BMW is not that. Yes they will last forever, but only if you maintain them. Which takes more to do than say a honda.

Photo in Cleveland, Ohio
1999 323i - 210,000 miles and counting.
Rear Wheel Bearing Tool (SitTools B90) Rental, ~$60
thefrog1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 01:55 PM   #53
SILVRRONIN

I could not say it better....
Old 02-25-2011, 01:56 PM   #54
SILVRRONIN

very well put by.."THE FROG"..lol...
Old 02-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #55
Shinji Hirako

Thanks Guys so i'm keeping it and prepare for the overhaul! any suggestions for coilovers? i need to replace my front struts. according to the shop i took it too there shot along with the fron stablizers and sway links.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:55 AM   #56
Mark M

My Ride: e30 M3 / e90 335d
Best thing.....find some people on this site and befriend them. You'd be amazed how much cash you can save by wrenching on the weekends with a friend who knows these cars.

Most tasks on this car are fairly simple with a little bit of mechanical knowledge. I'm sure there has to be someone on this board not too far from you. Reach out for help and offer a case of beer or something and I bet you'll find someone willing to teach you and assist.

Good luck.