E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-04-2010, 08:05 PM   #1
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Axles, driveshaft, ect.

The last time I hit the drag strip, I think I broke some things in my driveline... Everything was fine for a while afterwords, but slowly things got worse. At first, while making sharp 90 degree turns at intersections and putting the car under a little bit of load, it would feel as if only one wheel was being powered.

I knew something was up, but being the type of person that I am, I kept pushing the car hard.

I went to Mexico and the car was ALL over the place; I wasn't able to get any traction. Again it felt as if only one wheel was being powered.

The next night I went out and tried to do some 60-130 times, even though I knew something was up in the driveline. The car was SCARY, only one wheel was getting power and the car wanted to go sideways. On my way home, I hit a very small pothole and felt something break in the driveline and started to hear a rotating screeching sound.

I parked the car and haven't had a chance to really dig into it and find and fix the issue until this weekend.

Here is the first thing that I found, a shredded center support bearing:

Didn't have the correct hex's to remove the axles, will get to them tomorrow, but the passenger side axle definitely has a lot of play on it. I suspect that it is done for which makes sense since the passenger side tire looks practically brand new, while the driver side tire is nearly bald.

I am pretty sure I am going with the DDS axles and driveshaft

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

My Ride: shaken, not stirred
Send a message via AIM to bluejeansonfire
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
DSS?

sweet!

why doing the driveshaft?

hex?
i think axles are e10 or 12... and well, 36mm 6 or 12point (depepending on the nut you got)

Last edited by bluejeansonfire; 12-04-2010 at 08:13 PM.
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
MSpired

Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejeansonfire View Post
DSS?

sweet!

why doing the driveshaft?

hex?
i think axles are e10 or 12... and well, 36mm 6 or 12point (depepending on the nut you got)
DDS=DriveShaftShop

Why? Because:

A) Once I beef up the axles and get new beefier tires, the next weak link would probably be the driveshaft

B) I feel that the center support bearing will fail again, and I believe (I have to call DDS to make sure) the DDS driveshaft is a one piece unit and doesn't use CSB

C) Might as well do it when I have everything apart
Old 12-04-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Good idea.

Might seem like overkill to some, but we're talking about nearly triple OEM torque through the drivetrain.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
I kept my axles the weak link in my supra it was cheaper than a tranny
Old 12-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

Quote:
Why? Because:

A) Once I beef up the axles and get new beefier tires, the next weak link would probably be the driveshaft

B) I feel that the center support bearing will fail again, and I believe (I have to call DDS to make sure) the DDS driveshaft is a one piece unit and doesn't use CSB

C) Might as well do it when I have everything apart
Other than Taza, no one has ever done driveshaft damage in an e46, afaik. And that was a carbon shaft. However, I theorize that the damage he incurred was due to a broken front diff bolt, then tried to launch on crazy bias-ply drag tires. mtran also broke his diff bolt. But his car never did anything but clunk. I think he didn't do damage like Taza due to general lack of grip.

You may very well be right, at the power level you're pushing, the driveshaft is a logical part to become next in line to fail. But I think that before the driveshaft, the diff-mounting is a greater concern. There isn't an aftermarket addressing of the situation for the e46. However, AA makes a great brace for the e36, though I've read that sometimes with that part, the bolt still breaks, just less.

My theories on bearing failure:
a) old and needed replacement
b) rode with a old guibo for too long
c) driveshaft out of balance from impact
d) worn/damaged u-joint causing vibration

I could be wrong, but I really see no evidence that output kills these

but if it's c or d, it warrants a driveshaftshop piece.. do you have any ideas on this?
But, if you're interested, I know where to balance/rebuild the driveshaft or get a warrantied one for 1/3 price of the aftermarket piece

Quote:
DDS=DriveShaftShop
hmm

Last edited by bluejeansonfire; 12-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
bluejeansonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
yellowssm

My Ride: 2005 M3
Quote:
The last time I hit the drag strip, I think I broke some things in my driveline... Everything was fine for a while afterwords, but slowly things got worse. At first, while making sharp 90 degree turns at intersections and putting the car under a little bit of load, it would feel as if only one wheel was being powered.

I knew something was up, but being the type of person that I am, I kept pushing the car hard.

I went to Mexico and the car was ALL over the place; I wasn't able to get any traction. Again it felt as if only one wheel was being powered.

The next night I went out and tried to do some 60-130 times, even though I knew something was up in the driveline. The car was SCARY, only one wheel was getting power and the car wanted to go sideways. On my way home, I hit a very small pothole and felt something break in the driveline and started to hear a rotating screeching sound.
Does your rotating screeching sound sound like a supercharger whine? And it only does it in get under boost? This might be my problem. Let me know
Old 12-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
With the power the HPF kits are putting down I figured the OEM drivetrain wouldn't hold up.

My driveshaft and axles were sent to DSS by HPF. The driveshaft is a one piece chromoly and the axles are treated and rated up to 1,000 HP. The weak link now will be the transmission and Diff mounting. I'm going to have a shop local to me custom fabricate a "torque arm" for the rear diff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad@SaadRacing View Post
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.

Last edited by faelar; 12-04-2010 at 09:09 PM.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Forcefed M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by faelar View Post
With the power the HPF kits are putting down I figured the OEM drivetrain wouldn't hold up.

My driveshaft and axles were sent to DSS by HPF. The driveshaft is a one piece chromoly and the axles are treated and rated up to 1,000 HP. The weak link now will be the transmission and Diff mounting. I'm going to have a shop local to me custom fabricate a "torque arm" for the rear diff.
Mine has held up under 80,000 miles of Hpf abuse so far.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:13 PM   #10
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowssm View Post
Does your rotating screeching sound sound like a supercharger whine? And it only does it in get under boost? This might be my problem. Let me know
I think he's talking about the noise of the collapsed dirveshaft not being supported by the bearing

Old 12-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #11
MSpired

Quote:
Other than Taza, no one has ever done driveshaft damage in an e46, afaik. And that was a carbon shaft. However, I theorize that the damage he incurred was due to a broken front diff bolt, then tried to launch on crazy 295 bias-ply drag tires. mtran also broke his diff bolt. But his car never did anything but clunk. I think he didn't do damage like Taza due to general lack of grip.

You may very well be right, at the power level you're pushing, the driveshaft is a logical part to become next in line to fail. But I think that before the driveshaft, the diff-mounting is a greater concern. There isn't an aftermarket addressing of the situation for the e46. However, AA makes a great brace for the e36, though I've read that sometimes with that part, the bolt still breaks, just less.

My theories on bearing failure:
a) old and needed replacement
b) rode with a old guibo for too long
c) driveshaft out of balance from impact
d) worn/damaged u-joint causing vibration

I could be wrong, but I really see no evidence that output kills these

but if it's c or d, it warrants a driveshaftshop piece.. do you have any ideas on this?
But, if you're interested, I know where to balance/rebuild the driveshaft or get a warrantied one for 1/3 price of the aftermarket piece

hmm
I agree with you, there isn't much evidence that the OEM driveshaft can't handle the power, and the CSB could have been on it's way out already, especially since I have beat on my car since I bought it new.

But, I do think that hard launches, which cause a lot of flex in the driveline might have caused the CSB to fail and I can see it happening it again if I want to continue driving the way I do... I'd rather just fix it right, right now, rather than have to worry about it breaking again.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #12
MSpired

Quote:

Very interested in the torque arm, keep me updated as I might be interested in having your shop just make me one at the same time.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:19 PM   #13
faelar
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
Mine has held up under 80,000 miles of Hpf abuse so far.
Then your not launching the car hard enough

IF you ain't breaking stuff you ain't driving it hard enough.

Quote:
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #14
faelar
Big Pimpin'

Quote:
Very interested in the torque arm, keep me updated as I might be interested in having your shop just make me one at the same time.
Will do.

Quote:
Old 12-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #15
Forcefed M3

Quote:
Then your not launching the car hard enough

IF you ain't breaking stuff you ain't driving it hard enough.
Haha

Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 PM   #16
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

did you take it apart for fun or did you break it? I don't see any obviously damaged parts

Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 PM   #17
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

Quote:
I agree with you, there isn't much evidence that the OEM driveshaft can't handle the power, and the CSB could have been on it's way out already, especially since I have beat on my car since I bought it new.

But, I do think that hard launches, which cause a lot of flex in the driveline might have caused the CSB to fail and I can see it happening it again if I want to continue driving the way I do... I'd rather just fix it right, right now, rather than have to worry about it breaking again.
Considering the reports on bf.c regarding driveshaftshop driveshafts, I would try to stick to the stock part. I mean, unless you replace the guibo for a solid piece, you'll still need to replace it, I think wear items on the driveshaft aren't a big deal anymore (I can't account for the number of guibos i have gone through, i can do a range, 15-20). The csb is a cheap and easy part to replace. To replace it, just remove guibo, drop csb, one bolt! I don't think anyone has complained about the halfshafts. The driveshafts are known to wobble wildly, even when rebalanced several times over.

Old 12-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #18
MSpired

Quote:
Considering the reports on bf.c regarding driveshaftshop driveshafts, I would try to stick to the stock part. I mean, unless you replace the guibo for a solid piece, you'll still need to replace it, I think wear items on the driveshaft aren't a big deal anymore (I can't account for the number of guibos i have gone through, i can do a range, 15-20). The csb is a cheap and easy part to replace. To replace it, just remove guibo, drop csb, one bolt! I don't think anyone has complained about the halfshafts. The driveshafts are known to wobble wildly, even when rebalanced several times over.
Any links about what you are referring to?

Easy if you have a lift... I hate working on the ground
Old 12-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #19
bluejeansonfire
ninja editor

Quote:
Any links about what you are referring to?

Easy if you have a lift... I hate working on the ground
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...&highlight=dss

Old 12-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #20
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Quote:
Same here Faelar