E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking

Suspension & Braking
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #1
mattthecoxcomb

My Ride: 2005 325i
Suspension Rehab.

Hello folks:

The handling of my 2005 325i (with 74,000 miles) has gotten a little sloppy lately. There is noticeable play in the steering wheel and overall things just don't feel as tight as when I bought it 40,000 miles ago.

I had the front control arm bushings replaced around 55,000 miles which I think is pretty standard so I believe they are not related to what I am experiencing. Further, as I understand, the symptoms of CAB failure are clunking noises accompanied by excessive squat and dive. I am not having these issues.

I read a great post from another user attributing much of what I am experiencing to a worn steering rack coupler as described here: (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470103). Since this a $40-50 fix, I am going to attempt this as a matter of course.

However, I've also read that the OEM Sachs shocks seldom last beyond 60,000 miles and am wondering if I should just take the plunge and replace mine as they are probably shot.

If that ends up being what I have to do, it will be in consideration of the following:

I'd like to spend around $700. I'd like to preserve the stock ride height/handling/ride quality (although I am not opposed to something a little firmer). Crucially, I want an arrangement that outlasts the stock setup. I'd like to preserve the same level of handling and damping over a much longer time. Otherwise, I'd just buy a new set of stock Sachs shocks.

Based on these goals and my research so far, I've surmised that the best option for me is a set of four Bilstein HDs.

I'm open to alternatives and I'd also appreciate any reviews from users who have Bilstein HDs with stock (non-sport) springs.

Furthermore, I'd like to know what else I should replace while the shocks are out. The general view seems to be that it's good to replace the front and rear shock mounts. How important is this? If it's important, than I'd likely go with upgraded items like those offered by Meyle or Rogue engineering. Is there anything else I should be mindful of? Suggestions in this area are also appreciated.

I welcome all manner of relevant input on any of the ideas discussed here.

FYI: My car is otherwise functionally stock save for a set of HID P46 Projectors with Orion V2 angel eyes, courtesy of Umnitza (they are awesome).

Thanks!
mattthecoxcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #2
mattthecoxcomb

Bump!
Old 02-16-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
tischer bmw sells the bmw performance suspension for $500, ride qualty is a bit firmer, im not sure about ride height (i dont think it changes by much)

EDIT: heres link

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.

Last edited by alwaysbored786; 02-16-2011 at 12:52 PM.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #4
mattthecoxcomb

Hey -- thanks for the reply!

Tthat is an awesome deal! Certainly can't beat that price. I was about to place an order from them anyway because I broke the wood trim piece around my gear shift.

But, what do you suppose is the likelihood of these parts failing as early as original shocks (50,000-80,000 miles, depending who you ask)? These are probably the same manufacturer (Sachs). The Bilstein HDs I was looking at can be had for around $100 more and most people seem to think they last longer.

Does anyone have experience with either the Tischer kit or the Bilstein HDs or both?
Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 AM   #5
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
^ unfortunately i dont have experience with either suspension.But im going to guess the bmw performance one will last around 70-80k miles, and i dont think bilstein HD's will last much longer than that at all.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote